Trying to get into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jyliao

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I have decided that I want to pursue dental school. I am currently a rising junior at UNC and am running out of time in completing my pre-reqs, but also trying to get all my major courses done so I can graduate on time. Does it matter if I take a lot of my pre-reqs at a community college? I am worried that it will decrease my acceptance rate into dental school. Also, does it matter what major you are when applying to dental school? I heard that biology and chemistry is strictly preferred, but I have heard that your major does not really matter. Oh, how did you guys study for the DAT? Is there a book out there that can give you a quick re-run through the subjects needed to kill the DAT? Thanks, I cannot wait to hear from your experiences. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, recently I have decided that I want to pursue dental school. I am currently a rising junior at UNC and am running out of time in completing my pre-reqs, but also trying to get all my major courses done so I can graduate on time. Does it matter if I take a lot of my pre-reqs at a community college? I am worried that it will decrease my acceptance rate into dental school. Also, does it matter what major you are when applying to dental school? I heard that biology and chemistry is strictly preferred, but I have heard that your major does not really matter. Oh, how did you guys study for the DAT? Is there a book out there that can give you a quick re-run through the subjects needed to kill the DAT? Thanks, I cannot wait to hear from your experiences. Thanks!

:beat: x 100

Too many questions. Same questions with good answers can be easily found using the search function.

Do not take pre-reqs at community colleges. Most dental schools would either not accept those or look down on them. Make sure to take them at 4 year universities.

Your major doesn't matter as much. Just do what you enjoy. As for Bio/Chem, they are preferred in the sense that they will much better prepare you for the dental school courseload/DAT BUT, most dental/medical schools these days are also looking for people who are unique/different. Being a bio/chem major is't going to help you stand out since over half the other applicants also fall under that category.

You go to UNC? check your messages, I'm going to PM you

Members don't see this ad :)

A lot of the answers to your question can be found in the archives, but I also know the feeling when you need to know something right away so I'll save you some time.

You can definitely complete pre-reqs at community college but do keep in mind that there are some schools like Tufts that will not accept pre-reqs from community college; it would not decrease your chances to dental school per se but would rather limit you to which schools you can apply to. Also, it is preferred that you finish them at 4-year college.

The major is not as important, just do well in your pre-reqs and science coures as well as DAT. Do plan on doing some shadowing to get a feel for the dentistry field.

For DAT, there's been a lot of new material introduced since when I took it. Chad's videos are good for general and organic chemistry, and I heard there are even biology stuff on Chad's now; AP Biology; Crack DAT PAT; datQvault has lots of practice questions for biology and even chemistry and reading comprehension stuff now. This is by no means a comprehensive list but should give you a good start.

I'm not accepted yet so be very cautious when taking advice from me :D.

I took all my prereqs at a community college but I didn't have much choice (very unique situation). It won't hinder your DAT performance as long as you still work hard (see my breakdown). It's not preferred, but many schools don't seem to mind. On the other hand, it might limit your chances in the sense that you won't be able to apply to some of the "easier" (yeah, I said it) schools to get into like BU and Tufts because they don't accept any CC prereqs as far as I know.

It doesn't matter what major. Pick something you truly enjoy. I picked biology because I'm constantly blown away by it and I'm deeply interested in the subject material, but it's certainly not necessary to be a science major.

I would go on but I'm going to get out of here before doc_toothache comes along and tears you a new one!