Trying to get into Drexel's EPBPM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Assassinanny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback on my application to Drexel's Evening Post Bacc Premed program.

I am looking to make a career switch from Psychology to Psychiatry. I am currently about 1/2 through an MS in Counseling Psychology and I have a 4.0 in my graduate classes. However, over the past 8 months or so I have been increasingly unhappy with my program and after much thought and consideration I want to pursue an MD instead of a PhD. *However* my undergrad gpa is low (2.9) and I will need to complete a post bacc program as I did not have the necessary science courses as an undergrad majoring in Psychology.

I have tons of volunteer experience as well as experience in the medical field, and glowing letters of recommendation from my professors as well as the on staff psychiatrist at the company where I work as a group therapist. But that 2.9 undergrad gpa is absolutely eating at my confidence. I was going through a lot at the time and I just couldn't make it to class enough to get the grades I needed. After finishing my undergrad I moved far away from my family (the source of my inability to get to class) and now that I have taken control I'm doing very well in school. Is that something I should put on my application? Or does it just sound like an excuse? I take responsibility for not getting the grades I'm capable of, but I want the admissions committee to know that I will not let it happen again.

Do any of you know if Drexel will consider me for the post bacc program even with a low undergrad gpa, since I have a 4.0 as a grad student?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could always ask Drexel directly.

Remember to also get two Science letters of recommendation from your Science professors as you take your pre-med classes.