Trying to get into UF: secondary submitted 10/4, 3.86gpa, 31Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forat2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Florida resident, 3.86 cumulative, 3.83 science & math, 31Q MCAT, majoring in Applied Economics and Biochemistry. I have 2 years of patient volunteering, 1 month of shadowing a rad onc, 2 science research projects, 1 economics research project on price discrimination in the health care system, and lots of leadership (SGA senate 2 terms and world affairs program), and I have worked as a chemistry tutor for 1.5 years. I have 6 letters of rec, 3 from the professors I did research with and took classes with, 1 from the volunteer coordinator of local hospice, and 1 from rad onc shadowed, I know them all pretty personally.

I submitted my secondary to UF on 10/4 and have yet to hear anything. If offered an interview should I provide an update at the interview or after the interview? I am starting a new volunteer experience (tutoring mentally disabled adults and teens for GED), a new research project, and will be submitting 2 papers for publication in the coming months as 1st author. Any general suggestions? THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are offered an interview, there is no point in sending an update before the interview date, as your file won't be re-reviewed by folks that matter until sometime after the interview. But after the interview, even if you mention your improvements during the interview, I would suggest sending a letter of appreciation for the interview that includes all the new things as well as pertinent updates on ongoing activities since you submitted.

If you are not offered an interview, then after the fall grades are released, I would send in an update which includes the pertinent coursework and semester GPA. BTW, you should not include planned activities, IMO. Wait to mention the new volunteer or research gig until after it actually begins. Wait to mention the sumitted first author paper until after you send it in (I assume they already know of the associated research through your Primary application). And when a pub is accepted, that is update-letter worthy all by itself.

If you are offered an interview, there is no point in sending an update before the interview date, as your file won't be re-reviewed by folks that matter until sometime after the interview. But after the interview, even if you mention your improvements during the interview, I would suggest sending a letter of appreciation for the interview that includes all the new things as well as pertinent updates on ongoing activities since you submitted.

If you are not offered an interview, then after the fall grades are released, I would send in an update which includes the pertinent coursework and semester GPA. BTW, you should not include planned activities, IMO. Wait to mention the new volunteer or research gig until after it actually begins. Wait to mention the sumitted first author paper until after you send it in (I assume they already know of the associated research through your Primary application). And when a pub is accepted, that is update-letter worthy all by itself.

as always thank you so much for you advice! I will plan on doing those things. As for as gpa updates are concerned if my semester gpa is below my cumulative gpa but still at or above a 3.5 would it be beneficial to send it in?

Members don't see this ad :)
A GPA update is rarely asked for and generally not expected, so if it doesn't reflect well on you, it's better not to mention it. Alternatively, one could just mention classes highly specific to med school where great grades were earned, and omit those not-so-terrific ones.

I just read in another post that UF doesn't accept pre-interview updates. Have you heard this anywhere?
Yes that is correct, I e-mailed the admission office last month to verify that was the case.

I would like your opinion on one more thing if you do not mind :)
I am working on Plan B for next year if I don't get in. What do you think would would be more beneficial for me?
I) retaking the MCAT, I am confident I can do a 35+, or
II) getting a masters in pharmacology at Boston U or Georgtown (if accepted of course)
Thanks again!