1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to get into University of North Carolina Pharmacy

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by ilygurlie, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ilygurlie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi, I'm a graduating senior at UNC right now. I knew I wanted to do something in the med field, but didn't decide on pharmacy until about end of junior year. Current gpa is around 3.2. UNC is a really tough school for me, and I know I shouldn't make excuses but I hope they factor that into account when they look at these applications.

Will my best option at this point is to do a postbac? I am thinking of doing a 1 year postbac at Greensboro (much less challenging school and I could easily make a 4.0) and take 3 upper level chem courses, but I don't know if this will be enough. During this year off, I will be working as well to support myself. I'm worried that if I do well in those courses, UNC will see that I can handle lower tier college work but cannot do well at a more challenging school like UNC.

#1 ilygurlie, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kaidou1412

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    work at pharmacy first and decide. too many people decided to go to pharmacy because 1. it's in medical field 2. less time needed than med school 3. flexible hour 4. good income 5. no direct patient contact .

anyways, UNC is very tough school to get in but not worth doing Postbac or SMP to get in. You know NC now has many newer (+ easier) pharmacy schools to get in. right?

4. cgriff20

So you are going to go to a different school for a year because unc is too hard, but you want to go to pharmacy school there?

5. Thestrugglez

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If you can score 90+ (better yet 95+), you should still be a very strong applicant granted you have to ECs (pharmacy experience, volunteer, research).

But the other NC schools are private right so cost of UNC is so much lower. But I do agree with @kaidou1412 that a postbac or SMP probably isn't worth it.

IMO, retake orgo and genetics. Also, get some experience ASAP, whether through shadowing or teching.

6. ilygurlie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I would do a postbac at UNC but UNC doesn't offer any postbac program.

7. Lucky One

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I mean it does kind of suck since your in NC and UNC happens to have one of the top pharmacy programs in the nation.

At this point it's definitely unrealistic/waste of time for you to apply to UNC specifically. I agree with @kaidou1412, see if pharmacy is really for you while also gaining more experience (especially pharmacy related if you can) such as shadowing, volunteering, working in retail pharmacy. If you decided pharmacy is really what you want, finish that degree regardless and prepare for PCATs and plan to apply to other programs of your liking after doing research. Also do not do postbac as it won't help you at all and actually waste your time if you do the above stated things. Good luck.

8. ilygurlie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I know this post is several years old but I wanted to update that I am now in PA school. I knew that I was looking at pharmacy as a last minute career change, when in reality i have no passion for being a pharmacist. I took a long look at myself and my passions and am glad I took years off to figure out what I really want.

9. Samone

Pre-Pharmacy

I am also a rising senior at UNC. I basically started taking my pre-req's elsewhere and aced every class. Long story short, through undergrad I found out UNC is not the school for me and won't be applying to the Eshelman Pharm school because of the way I struggled in undergrad pre pharm courses. I just don't think it's wise to try to get into pharm school at the same place that almost destroyed my medical dreams in undergrad. (my own thoughts when I was choosing places to apply to.) I want to go somewhere were I will be successful in graduating from the program and that is as dedicated to my education as I am.

Woops, didn't see your updated post. Congrats on finding your passion!

10. Doktor_dud3

Doktor_dud3 CPhT, Pre-Pharmacy

Pre-Pharmacy
    Have you considered Wingate? High Point and Campbell also have pharmacy schools. Of course, I'm a bit partial to Wingate, haha.