Medical Trying to get off med school waitlist - should I have my boss call school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hello! I was waitlisted back in December at a t5 school - I have sent two (brief) publication updates since, but I was told by the admissions office via email that letters of intent are not necessary and will not be included in the file. About 1 in 3 people get off the waitlist based on previous years, and while I’m lucky enough to have other acceptances, this truly my #1 dream school. Anything else I can do to increase my chances? Should I send a letter of intent anyway?

Another thing - my boss is a very well-connected researcher and knows a lot of people at this school. I’ve been encouraged my multiple people in my lab to set up a meeting with her to see if she has any sway there, but my gut feeling is that this form of scientific nepotism would go against me, and probably wouldn’t help in the first place - any insight on that? Thanks so much!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I was waitlisted back in December at a t5 school - I have sent two (brief) publication updates since, but I was told by the admissions office via email that letters of intent are not necessary and will not be included in the file. About 1 in 3 people get off the waitlist based on previous years, and while I’m lucky enough to have other acceptances, this truly my #1 dream school. Anything else I can do to increase my chances? Should I send a letter of intent anyway?
RE: the bolded: do you really want to telegraph that you think that the rules don't apply to you, or even worse, that you can't follow simple instructions?

Patience is a virtue.
Another thing - my boss is a very well-connected researcher and knows a lot of people at this school. I’ve been encouraged my multiple people in my lab to set up a meeting with her to see if she has any sway there, but my gut feeling is that this form of scientific nepotism would go against me, and probably wouldn’t help in the first place - any insight on that? Thanks so much!
Trust your gut.

Do not ignore instructions that you have been given. If they said no LOI, then don't send it.

Presumably you got a letter from your PI, so you are already benefitting from your PI's connections. Even if they didn't write you a letter, just because they are well known in their field doesn't mean the admissions staff knows your PI. I think it is much more likely to blow up in your face.

You've done everything you can. Don't do something that will draw more attention to you negatively than positively.

Members don't see this ad :)

May be I am in minority here - are not necessary - is not the same as absolutely don't send it. If this is truly your #1 dream school then you don't want to think what if down the road. You could reach out to your interviewer or dean of admission - I am mean who will be mad with knowing that they are wanted - no one.
On the other hand, if they DO NOT send, then don't.

They said “not necessary” and “not included in applicant files,” but didn’t explicitly state not to write one! I definitely see your point, but seems as if not writing one may be the safer bet from what I understand.
IMO, they know you want to go there as you applied already so they are suggesting that they do not want you to send one.

Status
Not open for further replies.