Trying to keep the dream alive...help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BStar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year student at a medical school in Boston. I have had a deep interest in surgery since high school. However I recieved my board score and completely choked.I got below a 195. I Surgery is still something I want to do. Any advice on how to improve my chances, or even if I still have the chance.How can I improve my chances of being a surgeon?I have a couple of published abstracts and have two orthopedics publications in the works from some research I did last summer. I feel that this year many of my strengths will come out, as I feel that I excel in the hospital and at the bedside. It is my life's dream to be a surgeon and any help or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible... and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The question you have to ask yourself is: am i willing to go to a) smaller city and/or b) community hospital. Both of these options aren't necessarily bad by any means. There are many very good community hospitals and maybe you wouldn't mind a city like worcester instead of a big city like Boston. Bottom line is if you want General Surgery, there are enough programs out there that you still have a reasonable chance at some of them. I'm not a General Surgery resident, but I do know a thing about low board scores and the stress of applying to a competitive residency. From someone who didn't follow his own heart to the end and lives to regret it now and then, let me just reiterate: follow your heart.

Despite the relatively increased competitiveness of general surgery, it is an order of magnitude different from derm, etc. Based on the NRMP stats (choose table 5), about 20% of categorical gsurg spots in recent years have been taken by non-US seniors. Translation: if you are a US senior, reasonably personable and willing to work, someone will have you. As the last poster mentioned, you will need to cast a wide net in your applications.

So what to do now ... just work hard and be the sort of person people enjoy having as a colleague.

Members don't see this ad :)
can you retake your boards?

your research will go a long ways to getting you in the door for interviews. i think a lot of PDs recognize that standardized tests are bull****, and are not always a good measure of a doc's intellectual and social gifts.

if you want to be a surgeon, then go be a surgeon. its the most fun you can have with your clothes on, as my PD used to say.

I do intend on following through with my dream, because I know that I can do it. I just have to work harder now. I have heard that if one doesn't do as well on their Step I they should consider taking Step II earlier, i.e. just after the end of 3rd year. Is this true? Also is there any other concrete advice or plans of action that I could take. Should I approach the chairman of my schools surgical department and get to know him, whilst stating my case/situation? Or, during my surcal rotations next spring, should I do the same with my attendings, and let them know of my desire and work ethic, but also about my scores? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Just kick A@#

BStar said:
I do intend on following through with my dream, because I know that I can do it. I just have to work harder now.

First of all, sit down. Relax. Have a beer. You've got over a year to work this out.

BStar said:
... consider taking Step II earlier, i.e. just after the end of 3rd year.

Yes. A good step II score, in a program director's hands, can help salvage a low Step I.

BStar said:
Should I approach the chairman of my schools surgical department and get to know him, whilst stating my case/situation? Or, during my surcal rotations next spring, should I do the same with my attendings, and let them know of my desire and work ethic, but also about my scores? Thanks in advance.

All good ideas, but premature in part. Your thoughts there, minus the score questions, are good for anyone applying to surgery - you included. Introduce yourself, be proactive, get to know people. Don't sweat your scores. You can't change them, and no on else cares right now - you're not applying yet. Work on being a great med student. When you choose where to apply, then you can talk about scores with your mentor.

[PS - the above applies to gsurg. You can match with 190's. If you're considering some of the surgical subspecialties, that may not be the case. I would ask around before comitting serious time/effort pursuing one of them.]

Edit: By subspecialites I mean ortho (referenced in the original post) and the like. I agree that board scores will have zero bearing on general surgery fellowship matching.

By the time you start even thinking about surgical sub specialties..your board scores are going to be long forgotten...unless you're applying for combined PRS or CT program.

I think the good step scores (230s) will help you get interviews everywhere, but beyond that, they are not talked about much.

You should make an appointment with the Chairperson for Surgery at your med school at some point EARLY in your MS3 year and introduce yourself, tell him or her your plans, and then follow up with him after you have done a MS3 surgery rotation (and kicked ass in it), and re-introduce yourself, then ask to do a sub-internship as an MS4 on his service. He'll let you. Do well on that sub-I and you got yourself a strong LOR from a chair of surgery. $$ in the bank.

Frankly, Gen Surg is becoming less competetive. You will get a spot somewhere.

Your points of control over the situtation, at this point, are these:

1. Your clinical rotation grades (the most important determinant to match, IMO)
2. AOA election (get it.)
3. Letters of Rec (get them from your med school mentor and a few surgeons that know you)
4. your skill/presentation and personality at interviews...(when i was a resident, we met each candidate that interviewed and took them out drinking with us...then we voted on who we liked and who we did not...our collective vote counted as one faculty vote out of 5 total)

Same advice I always post on this topic - apply broadly. You've spent plenty of money on your education up to this point, so don't skimp on number of programs you apply to now. Apply to tons of programs all over the country in a variety of levels of competetiveness. If you apply to enough places, go to all the interviews you get, the odds are you will find a place to match.

Thank you all for the advice. I appreciate your perspective. I intend on to keep going and kick butt.