Trying to take prereqs to keep my options open

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woz

Woz
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi! if anyone has any suggestions, i would greatly appreciate it. i've been looking at the prereqs for many many schools, and some of them are so different from each other! so my question is how do i go about choosing prereqs that will satisfy the most schools' requirements? how important do you think it is to have different courses in the humanities than the ones preferred? (i.e. having an art appreciation course instead of intro to sociology) also, several schools' number of credit hours per course do not match up to my school's. (i.e. some require 3 hrs in calc, when the course offered at my school is 5 hrs.) several courses including physics and chemistry are like this, so it's tough to meet all the science requirements and still have room for all the extra liberal arts classes too. thanks in advance. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

woz said:
hi! if anyone has any suggestions, i would greatly appreciate it. i've been looking at the prereqs for many many schools, and some of them are so different from each other! so my question is how do i go about choosing prereqs that will satisfy the most schools' requirements? how important do you think it is to have different courses in the humanities than the ones preferred? (i.e. having an art appreciation course instead of intro to sociology) also, several schools' number of credit hours per course do not match up to my school's. (i.e. some require 3 hrs in calc, when the course offered at my school is 5 hrs.) several courses including physics and chemistry are like this, so it's tough to meet all the science requirements and still have room for all the extra liberal arts classes too. thanks in advance. :confused:

It's almost impossible to satisfy everyone. My best suggestion is to take a look at the state schools. Their pre-recs tend to be consistant or workable. You really run into problems with private schools sometimes(and sometimes not).
Take a close look at your "ideal" school and try to work around their requirements while keeping your backups in mind. Completely satisfy all of the pre-recs for at least one school. The others might give you more time to complete before you enroll. It wouldn't hurt to call the school and talk to an advisor. They're usually pretty cool people and want you to apply to their school. Good Luck!!!

I was wondering the same thing. As I'm a returning adult student with a baccalaureate degree already, I only want to take courses that will satisfy prerequisites (for time and financial reasons) since I have plenty of elective credits. When I contacted one admissions counselor comparing courses at my school to their school, I was told that their school was a 'professional and competitive program' and that they expect 'students to be capable of selecting a majority of their requirements on their own.' I found this to be not helpful in the least. I am perfectly capable of selecting my own coursework. In fact, I already did, but was asking if these specific courses would indeed satisfy their prerequisites. But perhaps I was asking too much. Was it wrong of me to ask if specific courses at my school would satisfy pre-professional requirements at a different school? :confused: