Trying to understand the pain medicine/end of life care CME requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poneil74

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Physicians licensed on or after January 1, 2002 must complete the mandated hours by their second license renewal date or within four years, whichever comes first. The 12 required hours shall count toward the 25 hours of approved continuing education each physician is required to complete during each calendar year. This is a one-time requirement."

Does anyone understand this requirement. How soon after graduating residency must we complete this. I always thought I could ignore CME until year 3 but I am just completing 2nd renewel which this says makes me due for CME in this topic??

Also, additional points if you can identify any easy ways to satisfy this cme requirement.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the state. What state are you in?

For example, I’m a DO in Pennsylvania. I need 2 hours of CME on opioids, 2 hours of child abuse education, 12 hours on patient centered CME and overall 100 hours of CME every 2 years.

I would look around www.netce.com and find the specific packages for your state. My requirements were 50 bucks. Not bad for a self study.