Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

TryUHS!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by nathan, Jan 16, 2001.

1. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

Has anyone toured or interviewed at the University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City, MO? I was accepted about 3 months ago. I was completely amazed with the school. The faculty were wonderful and the facilities fantastic. The gross anatomy lab is state of the art, as well as the lecture halls and OMM classroom. If you haven't applied there, I'd highly recommend it! I'd like to hear your feedback. I'd also like to hear from those who have been accepted.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CLASSOF2005

CLASSOF2005 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Nathan,
    First of all, to fill you in with my app process, I had declined interviews from Chicago, Arizona, Des Moines and San Francisco. I have been accepted to KCOM, LECOM, and UHS-COM and have decided to attend UHS-COM for many reasons. First of all, there's free tutoring and counseling which is nice when you are struggling and drowning in your studies. Also, I heard that like 83% of students received their first-choice rotations. One downfall is that we will be the second class learning via the problem-based method. Yet overall, UHS and Kansas together offer a balanced environment for work and play. After the interview, I was firm on deciding to attend UHS. The students and staff were super friendly, honest and helpful. Coming from San Diego, the rent in KC is bloody inexpensive. That's a definite plus. By the way, have you found a roomie yet?

4. CLASSOF2005

10+ Year Member

Hey Nathan,
    One more question: Do you know if there is a gym or workout center on or near campus?

Thanks dude

5. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Class2005-

I'm so glad to hear that you liked UHS as much as I did! I think the students and faculty are great. As far as the new Genesis 2000 curriculum, I have a friend who is a first year and he says that our class will enjoy it much more because most of the kinks will be worked out (I'm glad we're not the guinea pigs, though). As far as gyms go, I know that UHS does have its own there in the Quadrangle (with pretty nice equipment). As far as a gym in KC, I'm not sure. However, I have several MS friends that go to UMKC, and they have a gym and workout area. To answer your question, I am looking for roomate(s)! So, what is your name and where'd you go to school (I see that your from CA). I'm Nathan Box and I go to Missouri Southern State College in Joplin, MO. I work for a group of cardiologists and CV surgeons. I like cardiology, but am not completely sure what I want to do (who is?). I'm really considering some type of medicine that involves surgery (maybe ENT or something). Anyways, I've got to get to Physics II, so I'll wait to hear from you later. By the way, my e-mail is:
    [email protected]

-Nathan

6. SD

SD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey fellow UHS'ers. Congrats on your acceptances and I look forward to meeting you both. Answering your question, yes, there is a nice gym in the basement of the Education Pavillion. As for in KC, there are a ton of gyms, pretty reasonably priced. A brand new recreational facilty just opened a couple of miles from the school, just north of the river. It's absolutely huge, with everything you could possible want in it. (including a mini-waterpark for the kiddies) All this for the bargain price of $18-22 / month.

Feel free to email me if you have questions about anything.

Sara
    UHS Class of 2004

7. CLASSOF2005

10+ Year Member

Hey guys,
    I would like to thank you guys for the quick reply to my question. I am glad there's a gym on campus because I personally use that to destress. Well, I am anxious to meet you both. It should be awesome when we finally meet. Right now, I am working as a research technician at the Scripps Research Institute. I will be quitting around the end of May or so. After that, I plan on going to Europe. Anyone care to join me? Also, one more question, after you guys submitted the primary deposit, did you receive anything else from UHS?

Calvin
    [email protected]

8. Green007

Green007 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey everyone,

My name is Nathaniel and I am going to UHS this August as well. I really loved the school when I attended my interview. While the tuition seems a bit steep, I feel that it is put to good use.

To Classof2005,

I am going to Europe as well this summer before school begins. My wife and I are heading to Scandinavia for a good time. If you will be heading up that way let me know and maybe we could meet up.

I look forward to meeting you all in the not so distant future.

9. Hey Kids,

I guess Europe is the thing to do the summer before med school! I am going too...sometime in June probably, and would love to hook up somewhere.
    A little background. I was accepted to UHS just this week, and am mailing the check tomorrow. I'm searching for a home now but I think I might live with some people from my interview group. I didn't see the gym at school but I have heard about the running club there, sounds great!

More later, see in you Aug (if not sooner overseas)

------------------

10. vietcongs

vietcongs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey what do u know, im going to Europe too the summer before med school..i applied to UHS and have not heard back from them on an interview yet. i love the campus and am originally from kc, so im looking forward to getting accepted..good luck to u all.

11. UHS05

UHS05 Member
    10+ Year Member

I will not be going to Europe this summer:-( but I will be enrolling at UHS this fall. Looking forward to meeting all of you then. My wife and I will be moving to KC in May or June, so any info on good housing by the KU area will be appreciated. Take care ya'll and have a great summer...

12. adamwait

adamwait Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, slap my ass and call me Charlie. I am attending UHS next fall and I am going to europe this summer. I hear europe is not very big so I bet we will run into each other. By the way uhs seems to have a great gym and I plan on spending alot of time there. I also was wondering if anyone liked to mountain bike. There are some good trails in the KC area and I was hoping that out of the 225 new students a few would like to see how many clavicles we could break.

13. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

Adamwait-
    Breaking a few clavicles sounds like a great idea! I was hoping that I'd hear from someone who likes to mountainbike (and I'm glad you know of some good trails because I'm not familiar with any near KC- since I live in Joplin). I've been busy busting my butt on the cycle machine and stair climber so that I can stay in shape since spring is right around the corner (that way I can get back out on my GT). By the way, I see you are from KC- do bikes get stolen off car racks very much up there? It seems I can leave my bike on my rack wherever I go down here, but I imagine that will be unlikely up there. Later!
    - Nathan (UHS '05)

14. adamwait

adamwait Member
    10+ Year Member

Lock that puppy up! I would be cautious that you don't get your bike rack stolen too. I am lucky to have an SUV and tote my trek around in it. It can be a hassle but I would rather hold on to my bike. I have a friend at MU med who also loves to moutain bike. He is more fanatical than me and likes to come to KC and ride sometimes.

15. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey guys,
    I have an interview on the 14th of March and would love any info that you could provide! I think the school sounds great and can't wait to see the campus. Be careful in Europe.

TJ

16. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

TJ-

Congratulations on getting an interview! The best piece of advice I could give you is to ask questions, and you love PRIMARY CARE, PRIMARY CARE, PRIMARY CARE! As you can tell, the school is huge in this. Also, speak your experiences in answering questions during the interview (and don't say "I want to go into medicine because I want to help people"). Back everything up with your own situation/experiences. Another thing- don't sway from an opinion you may have (they'll try to make you second guess yourself, DON'T). Hope this helps and good luck!

-Nathan (UHS '05)

17. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member
    10+ Year Member

Nathan,

Thanks for the advice. I should be used to all these interviews by now, but the more I like a school, the more nervous I get! Maybe I'll see you there.

TJ

18. Mark McNemar

Mark McNemar Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello new UHSer's,
    I'm Mark McNemar UHS 2004. I am the internet ambassador for the school. If you have any questions about the school, ciiriculum, or KC in general post it and I'll answer quickly.
    Mark

19. tostra

tostra Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Mark,

I just found out about my acceptance to UHS, (I'm just floating on a cloud right now! [​IMG] ) Well, I need some info/advice if possible. I'll be moving to KC, sometime in July with my family (wife and 2 kids). I need a heads up on where to live. I'm particularly looking for a suburbia type setting. During my interview visit, I was fortunate to scope KC out a little, and was quite possibly interested in North KC area (Gladstone, Liberty). I was also curious about East KC (Independence area). And of course, feel free to mention your thoughts concerning the other parts of KC, since I didn't get a chance to tour south of Independence Ave or west of I-35 Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by tostra (edited 03-14-2001).]

20. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey guys,

It's approximately 2:00 AM and I just got back from my interview at UHS. All I can say is WOW! The facilities were amazing, you couldn't ask for a better OMM lab or anatomy lab. Plus, I interviewed with some really great people. Just thought I'd put in my info.

Tiffany

21. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

Mark-

It's nice to hear from another current UHS student! This past weekend I stayed up in KC with one of your fellow classmates because I was apartment shopping. Where do you recommend living (I'm highly considering Bennington Ridge Apts.)? Also, what do you think about Genesis 2000? The friend I stayed with loves it and I'm very excited to start. Later!

-Nathan

22. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

Tiffsatt-

Was the interview as "bad/nerveracking" as you thought it would be? Who was your interviewers? Please let me know when you find out about acceptance. Good luck and I'll hear from you later!

-Nathan

23. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

the best way to get accepted to UHS is to say...
    "I would love to pay $28K a year and have it increase 6% a year! I would also like to have 50 people TOO MANY in my class just to make classes cramped, rotations a pain, and make studying on campus impossible! Is there a way I can do rotations in small community hospitals where doctors don't care about teaching? And by the way, is it possible to show me just how unorganized the administration is at all times all 4 years?"

Say that, and you are in like Flynn!

24. tostra

tostra Member
    10+ Year Member

Freeeedom, are you a student at UHS.......why the hostility?? Just wondering if you are speaking from an experienced, educated and informed position or what the deal is? Please elaborate.

25. uh huh

uh huh New Member

Freeeedom! After reading several of your posts, your word does not travel far with me. It's very apparent that you carry with you an extremely negative perspective. As an MS1 at UHS, I can say that the administration is very receptive to their students and make changes based on what the students want. As far as rotations go, you'll need to look for yourself--all the locations are posted on the school's website. It's really tough when newly admitted students have to read your posts. As far as I'm concerned, UHS will do just fine without your 'Kenneth Coles'. As a matter of fact, it will be a much better environment without you around.

26. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

As a UHS upperclassman, I think Freeedom has a lot of experience to base his opinion on.

It's easy for you to support a school that raises the tuition for every class to pay for things only the current MS1's and new students coming in will benefit from. When the presidents report brags about how much our schools dependence on tuition has gone down, and then tells us a few pages later that tuition next year is going up 6%, it's hard not to wonder what is going on. They make no apologies nor do they try and hide the fact that they are raising tuition to pay for their #1 budget priority...the Genesis curriculum. Why shouldn't the class of 2003, 2002, and 2001 be bitter about paying for your curriculum? Our instructors are forced to split their time between first and second year students..something that never had to be done before Genesis came along. There are clinical opportunities open to the current MS1's that we were told we could not participate in. ERF missed lots of path labs for MS2's in order to be in MS1 labs. Finding an instructor for help is harder because now they have to teach the MS1's as well. Instructors sometimes have to rush out of class because they have another lecture, leaving no time to approach them with questions. All in all, 3/4 classes get shafted this year, all while they pay the bill for Genesis. No wonder you guys think the administration is so great.

27. UHS_2004

UHS_2004 New Member

UHS03 chill out. I have no doubt you're class is feeling the impact of Genesis, but is it really that much worse than any other year? First year classes are always going to get a little more because where new.

And as for the tuition increase. What did you think was going to happen? Did you think they weren't going to increase tuition this year! I don't begrudge you your complaints, but get some perspective. For a corporation the size of UHS I think they do a pretty decent job. It takes a heck of a lot of money to make our school look like it does and have the facilities it does. Besides, I'll be paying for one more year of the research building than you. You know how all those alumni tell us how horrible the school used to look, guess how the school got to the way it is today? $$$ Get used to it, you'll be receiving calls for donations to your alma mater soon enough.

Best of luck on finals, my friends and I will be staying out of the path. resources for you all this weekend. Hope you appreciate the gesture. Take a deep breath and look forward to your spring break. You'll soon be an MS3.

P.S. I wouldn't be so free to defend someone as negative as Freedom. I don't know what his deal is, but with the inflamatory rhetoric he uses he doesn't sound too rational in his complaints of UHS.

28. livquiv

livquiv Member
    10+ Year Member

Take it easy on 03. He is under a lot of stress right now. The pain and agony of being repeatedly mutilated on the ping pong table must be getting to him. 03, quit playing with your computer - that FCM test is gonna be a bitch!

29. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Man, you better quit ducking me...we have a score to settle! How convenient that the last time I challenged you, you chose to go to class for the first time this year!

FCM will get about an hour of my time..right before the test. Right now I'm up to my eyeballs in path.

BTW...thanks for defending me against that bully [​IMG]

30. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

Glad to see everyone's thoughts and questions about UHS! What a great post! I can't wait to meet everyone! I now got to get working on that St. Paddy's day celebrating. Later!

-Nathan

31. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey hey hey boys and girls...yes I am an upper classman at UHS!
    Negative, you think these posts are negative? Rather, they are truthful. Think about this people...tuition is what...$29-30K? When I started it was$23- $24k or so. You do the math to figure out what kind of increase that is! It is an absolute and TOTAL scam! Think about how many students they pack into class...into labs! Think about the available parking spots, the available rotations at CREDIBLE sights for third years...and tell me they aren't in it for the $$$$ And you think I am the only upperclassman that feels similar? Yeah...

They aren't in it for the sake of medicine...the administration sees it as "Look how we have grown" ...it is a project for them! It has NOTHING to do with the future of medicine, the sacred tradition of medicine, the present medical marketplace...it is about the APPEARANCE of the administration/school, not as an institution of learning with a rich tradition...but as a successful PROJECT. When it is deemed successful by their standards...the JD's will leave with a new success on their resume's.
    Kissy kissy

32. mj

mj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Freedom and 03...

if you had to do it again, would you still pick UHS?

just curious,
    mj

33. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If UHS had been honest with us when we interviewed and told us they would be implementing a new curriculum, I would not have been so quick to call and cancel interviews at other schools. When I interviewed, I thought UHS sounded great and I withdrew my other apps. I would not have done that if I knew about Genesis.

As a side note..no matter how negative people may feel freedoms! posts are, he has not said one thing that isn't true. He may be blunt, but he is right...I've never felt as if he misrepresented anything.

34. UHS_2004

UHS_2004 New Member

Freedom, the last time I checked corporations WERE in it for the money. So you're not telling anybody anything they don't already know. By your own account since they are in it for the money you can count on the administration to do what's in the schools best interest even if their actions may not always be exactly the actions you would like.

UHS03, if you took the administrations 'sell' hook line and sinker when you interviewed you have no one to blame but yourself for your unhappiness. And while Freedom may be expressing legitimate concerns he certainly does not speak factually as you state. His comments are inflammatory rhetoric and emotionally charged. That is why no one takes him seriously and calls him negative. It's easy to complain. Besides, if Freedom's so righteous why does he protect his identity from the rest of us UHS students?

MJ, I can tell you that I would choose UHS again without a second thought. I believe firmly in my school and am proud to be a UHS student. Instead of listening to UHS03 and freedom I suggest you ask an alumni what they think of UHS. There is a very good reason why our school has so much alumni support and why so many graduates send their own children to UHS.

35. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I never said I was unhappy at UHS. I have articulated some things which I find suspect and am not pleased with...all of them centered around tuition, budget priorities and effects of Genesis on my class. I think the faculty is great, and I like my classmates a ton. I have no problems with 3rd and 4th year rotations, and I have no doubt that I will do well on the boards.

I did not buy into some "sales pitch"...the fact that the school was implementing a new curriculum was never brought up..and who would think to ask about it?? I am not unhappy, but being a member of a class caught between 2 curriculums would have given me ample reason to give other interviews a chance rather than jumping into UHS right away. I'm glad you're happy at UHS...I am too.

You never answered my question before..don't you find it suspicious that the school brags about a decreasing dependence on tuition while at the same time increasing it by 6% EVERY year? Isn't that just a little contradictory??

Hey mj, ignore me and Freedom and listen to '04 who sees absolutely no problems with anything. Better yet, go talk to a bunch of alumni who have no clue about the current state of affairs at UHS since they all dealt with a totally different administration.

[This message has been edited by UHS03 (edited 03-18-2001).]

36. mj

mj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Oh come on 03, you know I only posted for flame bait. I wasn't really interested in finding out any helpful information.

Kind of ironic that 04 would accuse you of buying a sales pitch in one breath while selling me the same pitch in another, don't ya think. [​IMG]

04 -- I'm glad you are happy as a first year, but quite honestly, that doesn't mean a lot to me. Post again in two years. I asked 03 and Freedom for their opinion, for one, because they've been through a little more, but more importantly, having known both of them for a while now, because I respect both of their opinions. You've drastically underestimated Freedom's support on this board if you think no one takes him seriously. And the thought that you would accuse 03, the king of fence sitting and balanced opinion (no offense U) of being biased is laughable.

Come talk to me when you are done cheerleading and want to get real.

mj

37. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You crack me up mj. Fence-sitting? Should I be offended? maybe I should..then again you have good points, so maybe I'm not. Then again I do have my opinions...then again your opinions are much better. I guess I'm a little offended and a little not [​IMG]

Make love, not war, right mj? [​IMG]

In 2 years I'll be an alumnus and freedom will be an alumnus in 1 more year...ask us about UHS then.

By the way mj, you know I can't resist it when you put that bait in front of me.

38. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

Did everyone have a great St. Patrick's Day? I know I sure did (maybe a little too great!). Just one question- why does UHS wait until early May to give us info. about housing, student loans, etc.? I would think we would be able to receive it earlier. Oh well, I guess all the forms and loans will get completed sometime or another. Later!

-Nathan

39. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I know that waiting until May for that info is frustrating, but don't sweat it too much. Part of the delay is that they are trying to determine what the budget will be next year...they will send all that info out to you at once so you can decide how much to borrow. MS1's get first priority with the financial aid department I think, so you will get your checks around September some time. Everyone is ALWAYS strapped during that last month before checks come in, but you'll get your money (you just may have to put a few books on the old credit card while you're waiting.)

As far as finding a place to live, I used apartment search and they were great. When you interviewed, the school probably included their phone number in all that stuff they gave you. Give them a call and you will be sent brochures and a map showing all the apartments with the various amenities you may have specified to them. A lot of people in my class used them...and it allowed me to have an apartment lined up long before the school sent me any financial aid info (of course my wife works, so we already had a good idea what we could afford.) Good luck...despite my problems with it, UHS is a good school and you will be happy here.

40. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

04, Did you say corporations are in it for the money? Dude, since when was UHS incorporated? But you do bring about a good point, UHS does turn out DO's like Gateway turns out PC's.

MJ, would I do it again? Honestly, I think UHS needs to focus on different things. Community Hospital education is absolutely different than University Hospital education...and to be completely honest, the education that Allopathic University Hospitals provide in the 3rd and 4th years is FAR superior to that of osteopathic. Very honest. And for what I am receiving for the price I am paying...well. So I guess I'll make the best of it and do an allopathic residency. We as DO's must really WORK for the education that MD's are simply handed. We deserve better.

41. Mark McNemar

Mark McNemar Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

To UHSer's,
    Sorry, for not responding to your questions. If you could, go to the Osteopathic student forum instead of the Pre-OSteopathic forum. It E-mails me when you post something, and I can respond quicker. Sorry for the difficulty, the forums titled "New Student Internet Ambassador."
    Mark McNemar
    Student Internet Ambassador

42. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't remember voting for a UHS student ambassador. Who appinted you and gave you the authority to speak on behalf of UHS? Not to sound confrontational, but it sounds like an attempt to monitor and balance any negative sentiments that may be shared here.

43. mj

mj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks Freedom. I thought you could and, without being too personal, were rotating at allo hospitals. I also thought you were set on a DO residency. That's a pretty big change of heart Freedom. Do you really believe the residency programs are as correspondingly bad as I'm getting you think the rotation options are?

mj

44. uhs04

uhs04 Junior Member

Freedom,
    2004, not 04. Not that it matters anyway.

Our Monday tests are always fun on Sunday nights - especially for us chronic procrastinators. All I have to say is the guy that invented the multiple choice test should be given a Nobel.

R.Rich