TSA Flight Restrictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Writer1985

Mistress of Spices
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As most of you have probably heard, the TSA is now allowing liquids and gels to be carried on flights if they are in a plastic ziploc bag and inspected separately by security personnel. I just got back from an out-of-state interview and wanted to offer this piece of advice: do not take anything that looks unused. Because the security people (at least at the airports I was flying through) will steal it.

Case in point: I'd just bought a 0.75 oz tube of Colgate toothpaste, which was still in the box -- the security guy said that it did not meet airport restrictions (did not explain what that meant when asked) and put it in a box filled with sundry brand-new articles. The guy in front of me was robbed of CK cologne and Dove shampoo, the kind in single-use packets stocked in hotels. It was the antithesis of cool.

It's great that we're allowed to put this stuff in our carry-on bags, but be aware that some of these security people get a kick out of exercising their power.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not going to even bother messing with TSA. I'm just going to check in everything except for the clothes I will need for my interview. That will go into a garment bag as a carry on. I've flown Continental forever, and the only time I lost luggage was in 1989 on an international flight. And since I was only four years old then, it was not a big deal to me.

ZOMG!!!!! BUT THE TOOTHPASTE COULD BLOW UP THE PLANE!!!!

...just remember... dont bring anything on a plane that could potentially be seen as a threat by an overglorified security guard with little more than a HS education.

we have become a nation of bedwetters.

Members don't see this ad :)
ZOMG!!!!! BUT THE TOOTHPASTE COULD BLOW UP THE PLANE!!!!

...just remember... dont bring anything on a plane that could potentially be seen as a threat by an overglorified security guard with little more than a HS education.

we have become a nation of bedwetters.

how did this paste get on this muthaf@ckin plane ?!?!?!

correction: this muthaf@ckin paste! ;)