TTUHSC El Paso (Foster) vs UTHSCSA (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sufjanstan

Reaction score
These are both schools I think I’d be happy at, and they both have low in-state tuition so either way I’ll be graduating with less debt than usual. Long is much closer to my family in Austin which is a huge deal to me, so that’s where I’d go if the cost was equal. However, TTUHSC El Paso has offered me $40k ($10k/year) more in scholarships, and I want to go into primary care which doesn’t pay as well. To be honest, I have no clue how big of a deal that is and how heavily it should weigh in my decision. Is being closer to home worth an extra $40k in debt? Any financial advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

El Paso is a great city and I loved it there but I’d SA. Having social support near by is worth its weight in gold in medical school and SA will also help keep your options open over the long run.

Over the course of your career regardless of what specialty you go into 40k is not going to make THAT big of a difference

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like Long is the move here! I heard Long can be hard though. Curriculum isn’t designed for Step, and there’s mandatory attendance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also accepted both places, and since primary care is your goal, I'd take the scholarship personally. Cost of living is comparable, both have lots of opportunities to work with VA (if that's of interest), and work with diverse populations and with border health issues. So at the end of the day, one gives you more financial freedom to be able to do the work you most want to do.

(I'm mostly waffling between TTUHSC in Lubbock and Long myself, if I had a big scholarship either place the decision would be so much easier)