Tuberosity avulsion injury of fifth metatarsal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monsoon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a freak accident while climbing down the curb. I got my ankle forcibly inverted as i didn't realise sidewalk had come to an end. There was an audible snapping sound even in the background of traffic noise. I often get my ankle to inverted awkwardly once in a while but this time it was serious and powerful enough to fracture my metatarsal.

11042010421.jpg

11042010428.jpg

11042010430.jpg

as you can see it's a compound and displaced significantly. Ortho attending has advised me to get it operated w/ a cancellous screw to put the fragment together in place. He has already put me on the list. But I'm really anxious. I am going for a second opinion tomorrow at another consultant's office. What should be the right management strategy here? My ophthalmology residency programme starts in 5 weeks. Am I going to recover in time? He said i'll be in NWB cast for at least 4 weeks. If i decide against going for surgery what are the chances of non-union? I would greatly appreciate opinions from those of you who have seen the similar cases or had similar injury.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for double post. Mods please delete this

"Well an ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON told me one thing but I'm going to consult a random collection of people whose qualifications I know nothing about on the internet to see if they give the advice I want to hear."

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not an orthopedist, but this looks like an avulsion injury (the most common of the 5th MT fx's). it can probably be treated with a fracture boot or walking cast. if it were a bit more distal, at the metaphyseal/diaphyseal junction, then screw fixation would be mandatory (Jone's fracture).

Your ****s all ******ed. It is up in the joint. You gotta get that thing screwed. However, you're an American so I'd assume you're obese and have diabetes and it will probably never heal and you'll blame your surgeon. You should just get the cast and drive around on your HoverRound instead.

So wait the first thread was locked because this is a TOS violation but this one's still open?

Status
Not open for further replies.