Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Tucom 2007

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SoCal, Nov 4, 2002.

1. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just got my acceptance letter today from TUCOM. I interviewed on the 21 of Oct. The adcom met on the 31, and the letter was sent on Nov. 1. I now have to make the quick decision on where I want to go...it is b/w Touro and Comp right now. I am leaning toward TUCOM...(almost positive at this point) Anyone else sure they are going to Touro? I really liked to school, the only thing that I am trying to get over is the talk about the schools rotations. From what I have gathered...this is not really a big deal, and the rotations are what you make of them. Good luck to everyone...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mfred

mfred Member
    7+ Year Member

Congratulations! The clock is now officially ticking on your 2000$!! I decided before I went to TUCOM that I would go if I got in. It has always been a top choice of mine because of the faculty and the location. I still have two instate options though, and the finacial issue is going to cloud things a bit if I get in to either one of them. But, I am pretty sure I will go to TUCOM. Good luck making up your mind. Which ever one you choose, it will be very hard, very expensive, and very rewarding. I would pray about it, but that is just me.

4. mohody

mohody Member
    10+ Year Member

Congratulations SoCal. I knew you would get accepted. Hope to see you there in August.

Justin

5. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

I am definately going to be there in the fall. I researched into the rotations things as well and found that it more depends on the kind of person you are and the kind of student you want to be. It has also gone thru some major improvements in just the last two-three years as more affiliated hospitals come online with TUCOM. Having had direct experience with Kaiser Northern California, I know that this is a great affiliation for core rotations in the bay area.

From some of the students that have commented on this forum, they have had excellent experiences and have landed into top residencies. I know they have faculty affiliations with Davis, UCSF and Stanford and being from California, I know what that kind of association can mean come time to put in my residency apps so it seems like a win-win for me.

I love the bay area (Go Athletics!!!) so I would have to say go with your gut feel at this point! Goodluck in making your decision and I hope to see you in August.

Brenda
    TUCOM 2007

6. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank your everyone for all of your support. I have decided that Touro is where I am going, so look out. I have come to the same conclusion concerning the rotations, but it is nice to hear someone else whom agrees. I am partial to Nor. Cal as well, being that my girlfriend has all of her family in and around the bay area. I think that this will be a huge plus for our relationship, given the stresses of med school. A support system close by will be nice...as well as some good meals every once in awhile. Anyone know where they are going to be living...or any ideas. Well, it is nice to officially meet you all as classmates.

7. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

Congrats SoCal! I actually live in Healdsburg (wine country) about an hour north of campus. My husband and daughter will stay here during the week and I will be on campus, probably sharing a dorm room with Betsy (one of our other classmates), during the week and going home on weekends. I am not sure what they told you during the interview but the housing got a little rocky for the married students this year. The contract for the 3 BR houses expired in June and they only have single housing on campus this year. I don't know if they will have a new contract next year or what but the graduate dorms are supposed to open this month.

I have been told that a one bedroom apartment in Vallejo goes for about $800/month. I know from having lived in Sonoma County the last 11 years that if you travel north of Vallejo you can find some cheaper housing in the Napa area and it is only like 15 minutes from campus. I would cruz the online classified for the local newspaper to get a better idea.

8. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the info...so far, I have begun considering Benicia, Walnut Creek, and Napa Valley...I loved Napa, so this would be cool. Cheap wine too! I thought Napa was close, but someone told me it was at least an hour away...maybe they thought Sonoma.

9. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Napa is probably a half hour without traffic, but the person could have been talking about rush hour driving. My tour guide said he lives in Fairfield and only has a half hour commute.

10. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

Just be warned of the commute direction for traffic. As long as you are going in the opposite direction of the commute on I-80 you will be okay.

11. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone live in, or know anything about Blue Rock Village. I found this community on the internet...supposedly, it is a gated comm. in Vallejo.

12. Bmblee888

Bmblee888 Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats SoCal! I'm glad you made a decision where to go! I wish you the best of luck!

13. DrZippy2b

DrZippy2b Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

We are selling our house in Sac. We are putting the house up for sale right after Thanksgiving and buying a condo in the Bay. I can't believe I am this sad about selling our house. Probably because it was our first house. Lots of firsts in this house actually. ARGH. I didn't think I would feel like this. The prospect of living in a small condo for the next four years is really kinda depressing. But my husband just changed jobs (same company, different job) and is now having to commute to SF from Sac everyday. It wouldn't be so bad, but it is market hours (starting at 0530) which means he's been getting up at 3 to get ready and be in the City by then. I was hoping we would have one last spring in the house and be able to work in the garden a little more before we moved. Guess it just wasn't in the cards.... But how can I complain? I knew we would have to move for school, just didn't expect it to be quite this soon...

As for the housing in Fairfield, I am stationed at Travis AFB and worked in community housing for a year and would probably say that Fairfield isn't really all that great a place to live. If you are interested, I can talk to the new housing guys and get you guys some leads in the local area (Suisun City, Fairfield, Vacaville). Just PM me if you are interested in the info.

Congrats and hope to see you in Aug.
    -Nikki

14. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks BMBLEE888...best of luck to you as well.

15. DrZippy2b

DrZippy2b Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

SoCal,
    I was in the Vallejo area yesterday. If you want, I could take my digital camera down there next time I go (which will likely be this week) and take some pics of Blue Rock Village/the surrounding area around Blue Ridge to give you a better idea of the area. PM me if you are interested.

-Nikki

16. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The money is...now it's official (as long as they get it) Anyone else here thinking of HPSP?

17. mohody

mohody Member
    10+ Year Member

I've spoken with the Army and the Navy. I will apply for both.

Justin

18. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sound good. I was thinking about the Air Force. Trying to gain as much info. as I can before I talk to a recruiter.

19. Pitt Panther

Pitt Panther The Best Baller in PA
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SoCal,

I just sent you a PM.

Pitt Panther

20. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

It is really tricky to find. For some reason the link that you would expect to work doesn't. If you go to http://www.tucom.edu/registrar.htm

you will find the links to the 2001 and 2002 match results that are working.

21. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

...the check has been cleared! Guess its all downhill from here.
    ...or uphill maybe