TUCOM and CA Podiatry College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpineDoc

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

What's the deal with TUCOM and the California College of Podiatric medicine?
Are these schools affiliated or did Touro U take over the SF College of Osteopathic Medicine? What's the history behind this merger?

Darrell

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Touro is the osteopathic college in SF. There was and is no SF college of Osteopathic Medicine

I know what Touro is, but why is the California College of Podiatric medicine holding osteopathic classes at their college for Touro? Are Touro and CCPM affiliated? Maybe CCPM allowed Touro to conduct classes at their facility until the new campus was built.

The rumor here in the bay area was that CCPM, and in general Podiatry, enrollment has been down and to save the school they started a D.O. program.

Darrell

------------------

Members don't see this ad :)
I understood it that Touro COM was just conducting classes at CCPM since they have the basic science facilities (podiatry's first year or two are very close to med school), and that they did not start Touro. I don't know if Touro is planning to build a facility soon or not. Someone else may know for sure though. Just wondering, why are you curious about it?

As far as I know, there is no real "affiliation" between Touro and CCPM other than sharing facilities, and the fact that it was probably a good place to start since the basic science teachers there are good, with many coming from UCSF and other UC schools. No, CCPM did not "create" TUCOM. Besides, if CCPM created TUCOM, why move it to Vallejo?

TUCOM and CCPM are two completely different schools. TUCOM is sharing the basic science facilities with CCPM under an agreement. TUCOM has their own professors and are also using the CCPM professors in the basic sciences. The podiatry students and the D.O. students only share the basic science courses together (Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, etc.) This agreement was strictly to buy time for the building of a new campus for TUCOM. TUCOM currently purchased a 173-acre campus at Mare Island in Vallejo, Ca. about 40 minutes north of San Fransisco. Phase 1 has already been completed and the class of 2002 and 2003 will be attending there for classes in the Fall of 1999. I hope this helps......