TUCOM - Any advice/information?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snitzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been looking into Tuoro (sp?)University COM, but their website is VERY lacking in practical information! I would greatly appreciate any opinions/feedback from current students, those who have interviewed, etc.

Is the campus nice? What about the labs/lecture halls/facilities? Do they have a good program, or are they still too "fledgling"? Are students there happy with their choice? What about faculty?

Thank you to all who would offer their insights!

Members don't see this ad.

Search the board's archive, and you will find lots of past posts answering these questions. Things seem to be in a constant state of change here, from courses to facilities. You must visit the island the school is located on to really understand and appreciate how the "campus" is set up. Quite neat, really. Not really what you would imagine a campus to be. Four old buildings with brand new insides. Facilities and labs are quite nice. "Student" facilities like gym, workout center, lounge, and pool are in a constant state of construction and have not yet opened in the year I have spent here. Bummer. Faculty and education obtained seem to be good so far. I believe you will find a good program in a great location here, but be prepared to deal with lots of growing pains, for this is a relly new program. I am quite happy here.

TUCOM 2003

Thanks for the post, 8404! If I may ask, why did you decide to go to TUCOM? What distinguished it from other schools you applied to?

Also, is it true that profs. from Stanford/UCSF participate in teaching? If so, how has this experience been? Do you feel that such a "partnership" may be of some value later, as far as rotations, residencies, etc.?

Thanks again for your insight!

[This message has been edited by snitzle (edited 07-24-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wanted to come to this area and this gave me the chance. The school has a really "small liberal arts type college" feel, not "huge university with giant classes" feel. We had some guest lecturers last semester from several other local schools, but I do not believe there is any huge collaboration thing going on. There are Stanford and UCSF graduates on the faculty I believe.

Thanks 8404!

To everyone else: Hellllooooooooo!!!???

Aren't there any other TUCOM students besides 8404 have anything to say about their school?

snitzle,

like 8404, i am also in the class of 2003 at TUCOM. i am also very happy here at TUCOM. i chose the school basically for the location. i am not from CA so the thought of moving to an unknown place, especially near a city like
San Francisco was very appealing to me.

however, as with any new school, there are still some growing pains. there aren't as many nice amenities that may perhaps be offered at another school. for instance, no fitness center or cafeteria so far. the bookstore is not even started yet!

however, the education i received last year was almost impeccable and that's what counts to me. as i read through board review books, i realize that my professors did stress the necessary information in a way that will help us for boards.

as for OMM, there are always enough table trainers to answer your questions during lab. OMM is something that you can't learn in a classroom, it's more hands-on. for any DO school, be prepared to get to know your classmates well--meaning OMM lab where your classmates are your "patients". but everyone is very professional. it actually has helped me get over some insecurities about myself, being able to strip down to a jogbra in front of my classmates.

i don't live in student housing, but many of my classmates lived on campus last year and seemed to like it a lot. it's very safe and quiet on the island (except for the occasional Monday night party after an exam!). the surrounding town of Vallejo isn't all that great, but is getting better. there are many people from San Francisco who are moving to Vallejo and buying new houses or fixing up old Victorian homes, because it is cheaper up here, so the town is getting better. also, there is a ferry right near the school that will take you into the city. it is very convenient and fun, too.

what else can i tell you--oh, there are a lot of student interest clubs here. chances are you'd find one that you would like to be involved in. another thing about my class that impressed me was the fact that we are not "competitive". DO schools in general probably have less competition than MD schools, but our class really does work together, with notepools, etc.

overall i am very impressed with the faculty. as for the facilities, i'd say they are adequate. the best part is probably the anatomy lab. it is big and bright and not very smelly! i am also excited about rotations. the Bay Area will be a wonderful place to learn. and TUCOM also has affiliations in NY and Vegas so if you wanted to, you could spend one or two years, or even just one rotation in either place.

so, in all honesty, there are growing pains here and it is not a "plush" environment with lots of amenities. but, if a great education is what you are after, and you'd like to be in the Bay Area, i think you would really enjoy TUCOM. the faculty is very receptive to student input, and it's nice to be able to proactively be involved in improving the curriculum.