TUCOM Housing...Orange?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alisha75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on-line looking at the pictures that tucom has posted under housing in wilderman hall and is the room really that ugly and are the bathrooms really orange? is the housing that terrible? are there any other options for on campus housing besides wilderman hall and if so, what are they like? thanks for any replies in advance. i like the school but I worry about the esthetic experience too.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I saw those pictures as well and was curious. Those dorms were just opened and were supposedly remodeled top to bottom so I don't know what to make of it.

As for the townhouses. One of the other incoming students that I know toured the townhouses and she said they were decent and good size but that the heating bill was something like $1000 per MONTH during the winter. After I found that out, I don't care if the bathroom is orange, I don't want to freeze becuase I can't afford the heating bill!

You might also want to consider living in Benicia or the Glen Cove area of Vallejo. Those are actually really nice areas with good views. Having lived in both benicia and Mare Island I can see it both ways. Living on the island, you're close to school and can wake up 5 minutes before class. Living in Benicia, you have a fireplace and can take nap in front of a Duraflame after you've read 3 pages of neuro.

save10
omsIII

Members don't see this ad :)
Benicia is really pretty and has an awesome view of the bay. Rent is very reasonable in Benicia for the Bay Area as well. There is little traffic because of the reverse commute and it is probably 15, 20 min max from the school. As for accomodations in Vallejo, there is very little to choose from, although they might have some condos/townhouses off of Columbus parkway (one of the newest areas of Vallejo). You might also try looking further up on interstate 80 east, into Fairfield. I understand they are building some apartments in the Green Valley/Cordelia area which is a nice area to live. It is also about 15 min NE of the school, however, you would have to deal with some rush hour traffic.

which way does traffic travel on the 80 in the am and pm? Is is best to live south of the school? thanks

All roads lead to Rome.... Okay, San Francisco. In the AM all major traffic is heading toward the city, going south on I-80. In PM it goes the opposite. So if you live toward Fairfield, you will be in the commute traffic when you are going to school but if you live south, east or west of Vallejo, you will be going against the commute and not see much traffic problems.

I concur with the previous poster. Traffic getting to and going from school isnt bad in the AM/PM when crossing the bridges (Benicia Bridge/Carquinez? Bridge). The problem though that I found was that on the way home, once you crossed the bridge there was no going back to school until much later because of all dem darn cars.