1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

TUCOM input please!!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by HoosierDO, Oct 26, 2002.

1. HoosierDO

HoosierDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just wanted to hear from some current TUCOM students, expressing what they like, dont like, etc. How do you feel about the location, the school, profs, residency placement, board scores etc. for me it is very far from home and I am trying to decide if i should spend the money on my secondary!!! Any input would be great...from everyone...even 3rd, and 4th years!!! Thanks everyone:D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mfred

mfred Member
    7+ Year Member

Let me state my bias from the beginning: I am going to TUCOM next year. But, heres my opinion for what it is worth.

1. The faculty seems to be very good, and very intent on teaching as opposed to research. In my mind, this is a very good thing.

2. Loved the feel of being on an island with only the medical school around (this will change in the future though). Seems like it provides a great atmosphere for cooperation with your classmates. Good anatomy lab too.

3. The bay area is amazing, and it also has a great wealth of medical resources to draw from.

4. High GPA/ MCAT scores, I know this doesn't really matter, but I think it says something for what the administration is building.

5. Great match rate, although this will probably change too. They matched something like 90% + to first choice, but their class size was very small compared to now.

Those are just my feelings on the issue. That being said, it is incredibly expensive (especially compared with TCOM in my hometown), but not much different than most of the other COMs. I know the app fee is alot, but the acceptance fee is even more (2000$ payable 2 wks after acceptance, typically 1-2 wks after interview) so if you are not interested enough to give it a real chance, don't complicate your finances. But, if you are really interested, I think the interview will impact you very positively. Good luck.