TUCOM Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have just received a sedondary from TUCOM. Does everyone receive a secondary from this school? Just wondering if I have made it past the first cut, or they are just interested in my$$. Also...any tips. It is pretty straight forward, but any info. would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SoCal:
•I have just received a sedondary from TUCOM. Does everyone receive a secondary from this school? Just wondering if I have made it past the first cut, or they are just interested in my$$. Also...any tips. It is pretty straight forward, but any info. would be appreciated. Thanks•••••Hey congrats on getting the 2ndary! According to the web page they do pre-screen before sending secondaries...so this means you made it past the first hurdle! Good luck with the remainder.

Congrats SoCal,

I'm from Touro, and they do pre-screen before they give out their secondaries. It's a good thing if you get it. A very important advice for not just only Touro but any other school's secondary is to send it in ASAP. Early submitted secondaries will give you an earlier interview. It's not as competitive and you may have a better chance of acceptance. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
excellent advice from fiery. i waited til near the deadlines to turn in my secondaries because i hadnt fully committed yet. if your interviews are in april and may or even later it is gonna be a real FIGHT. i know this firsthand. you will end up getting waitlisted where you probably would have gotten admitted if not for your lack of timeliness.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SoCal:
•I have just received a sedondary from TUCOM. Does everyone receive a secondary from this school? Just wondering if I have made it past the first cut, or they are just interested in my$$. Also...any tips. It is pretty straight forward, but any info. would be appreciated. Thanks•••••They pre-screen before sending out the secondary. But here's something to think on: I got all the way to the interview, then was rejected outright because a question arose about my grades while my application was being reviewed in committee.

Touro was a learning experience - I mean that in the most sincere manner. Every person I met at Touro was nice and upfront. The post-rejection feedback I received from them will hopefully pay off this time 'round.

But, just because you get past the screening for the secondary and interview does not mean that bad grades can't come back to haunt you.

- Tae

Hey Tae,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Touro. I'm from the East Bay (Cali) and I really want to go there to stay in a close proximity to my family and also because I've heard that it's a great new school. If you don't mind sharing -- what were your grades? I'm concerned that my 3.34 undergrad will be too low to get a secondary... Do you think that they look at your entire application or focus mostly on GPA and MCAT scores? Any information is appreciated.

Many thanks.

I think that Touro does look at grades and MCAT scores, but I don't think they put their sole weight in those two numbers to determine if you get in or not. They have offered interviews to not so hot MCAT or grades before. It depends on you show up in front of the interviewers on that day most of the time. There are professors (interviewers) that choose to vote you in because they think you'll become a great doctor and they can see that by the way you act during the interviews realizing that you may not have such great grades. Don't get me wrong. Grades and MCAT scores are important but don't let them stop you from getting where you want to go. They determine your probability of making through the grueling curriculum of med school. It's tough! I'm thankful that I made it through my first year. Another year to go before I head to rotations. Good luck guys/gals.

TUCOM 2005

thank you all for the info. I will get the secondary in as soon as possible. Any chance I have of getting ahead of the game, I will need. good luck to all of you.

SoCal,

Congrats on getting the secondary! :)

When did you submit your app and when did AACOMAS send out your application? I submitted on the 6th and it was sent out the 27th. Im just wondering when I can expect my secondaries. Thanks!

Nu Girl,
I sent in my app. on 5/28. aacomas sent it off 6/20. I received my secondary from touro, 6/28. I was pretty surprised that it came that quickly. Now the ball is back in my field. I am going to try to send it back this week. good luck

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Forensic Chick:
•Hey Tae,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Touro. I'm from the East Bay (Cali) and I really want to go there to stay in a close proximity to my family and also because I've heard that it's a great new school. If you don't mind sharing -- what were your grades? I'm concerned that my 3.34 undergrad will be too low to get a secondary... Do you think that they look at your entire application or focus mostly on GPA and MCAT scores? Any information is appreciated.

Many thanks.•••••Let's just say that my cum GPA was lower, and I still got an interview. They focused mainly on some of my prereq grades - and they stood out since I was a non-sci major.

I think I got the invite mainly because I was older - 34, and had been a paramedic for 11 years.

Relax, you're well within the ballpark.

- Tae

•••quote:•••Originally posted by fiery:
•I think that Touro does look at grades and MCAT scores, but I don't think they put their sole weight in those two numbers to determine if you get in or not. They have offered interviews to not so hot MCAT or grades before. It depends on you show up in front of the interviewers on that day most of the time. There are professors (interviewers) that choose to vote you in because they think you'll become a great doctor and they can see that by the way you act during the interviews realizing that you may not have such great grades.

TUCOM 2005•••••Again, let me say that I progressed to the interview stage, and I interviewed "beautifully", to quote Dr. Haight. There were some concerns about some of my grades, and that caused me to be rejected when it came down to the vote. These concerns I am hopefully addressing with taking more/repeating classes.

But, what it boils down to is this: that progressing beyond the screened secondary does not mean that you cannot be rejected later in the application process because of your grades. It's as simple as that.

I wish it were not so, and that passing the initial and secondary screenings meant that admission after that point rested solely on the strength of one's interview.

- Tae

i am currently on the waitlist for touro for the class of 2006. and basically, i missed getting an unconditional accept to the school by one measly vote. i have a feeling it was because my grades weren't stellar (cum=3.5, science=3.4) since dr. haight told me i had everything else going for me. (i also submitted my aacomas in november and they never sent out my application until FEBRUARY (they screwed up) so i was a very late applicant.) as much as we'd like to believe that DO schools don't focus on gpas and mcat scores *that* much, i think it is completely understandable given that touro is a relatively new school. one of the only stats that it has to publicize is that it is the #1 school in terms of the incoming MSIs having the highest GPAs and MCAT scores of all osteopathic schools in the country. they need to focus on establishing their reputation, hence, the extra focus on grades. as a side note, i think i remember dr. haight saying that they get about 4000 applications, send out about 2000 secondaries, and interview about 400 (but don't quote me on those #s--my interview was back in april!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found today that I got an interview for TUCOM!!! I am a bit nervous about their panel interview format, so if anyone who has interview at TUCOM has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Flea girl

Hi!
I haven't interviewed at TUCOM, but your best bet is to try the following website:

<a href="http://www.interviewfeedback.com" target="_blank">Interview Feedback </a>

Click on Browse Questionaires, and then find TUCOM (all schools are listed alphabetically). Hope this helps! Good luck on your interview!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by AZCat:
•Hi!
I haven't interviewed at TUCOM, but your best bet is to try the following website:

<a href="http://www.interviewfeedback.com" target="_blank">Interview Feedback </a>

Click on Browse Questionaires, and then find TUCOM (all schools are listed alphabetically). Hope this helps! Good luck on your interview!•••••I was about to say the same thing, but that site has been down for at least the past week. Hope it comes up soon.

- Tae

Congrats on the interview!! I interviewed in Nov. and loved it, and will be going there in the fall.

The panel interview, I was surprised, was actually very interesting. They askwd everyone interesting and thoughtful questions about the details in their secondary. i.e. they might ask you to say more about a volunteer experience (like what you learned from it), about a hobby, or about your motivation to be a D.O. If you know yourself, you'll do great. It seemed like they just wanted to see that we could express ourselves maturely and coherently, while getting to know us. They also want to see that you listen to others who are being interviewed with you. I thought it was an interesting and fun discussion.

Have a good time and good luck!

Hey, Congrats on your interview! First of all, don't be nervous. If you decide to stay at the hotel, you will have breakfast w/ other students who will be interviewing w/ you, so take advantage of that and get to know them. It will make you more comfortable during the whole day to "know" a few people! :D
Next, ask as many questions you want from Dr. Haight! He is the sweetest, nicest man EVER, so just relax and ask all you need to ask. He is NOT on the admissions committee, so you won't ne penalized for stupid/lame questions, don't worry! OK, Now for the interview. BREATH and RELAX! I know it's hard, but just understand that they are a panel of three faculty/administrators and one student, and they truly want to accept you. They are looking for REASONS to accept you, so as long as you act like yourself and answer their questions to the best of your ability, you'll be fine. Dancer was right about the subjects that they inquire about, so I won't go into that. Just know your application like the back of your hand, and be prepared to answer funky questions like "Who do you consider to be your hero?" That one got me, but I managed to stammer something coherent out, thank god! :p Oh, and pay attention to what the other interviewee's (sp?) are being asked, and what they are saying. Don't stare at the walls, and always maintain good eye contact. That's it! Just relax, be yourself, and give them a reason for picking YOU above everyone else! Good luck! Hope to see you in the fall!

Thank you all for your advice :wink: ! I really do appreciate it, especially since the interview feedback website has been down. Keep the advice comming and how long does it take for the school to get back to you after your interview? Either for acceptance or rejection or waitlist? Any information on that would be great!

Ellen

I believe that TOURO has one of the fastest turn around times. They estimate two weeks after the interview that you will know but I have talked to some folks who knew within a few days.

I was also skeptical about the group interview before the actual interview, but it turned out to be very non-stressful.

The director of admissions was great: he gave up his whole day to spend time with us, and gave us tips about the interview before it actually occurred.

The interviewers have had your application for about a week, and asked us questions such as "What did you learn from working with this osteopathic physician? What are your weaknesses and strengths? What can you add to our class as a younger (or older) student?" They want to see how well you communicate in front of others.

The acceptance came within 1-2 weeks, by certified mail. They asked for $2,000 within 2 weeks as a deposit.

Please ask if you have any other specific questions.

<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002259&p=" target="_blank">http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002259& p=</a>

Just wondering if TUCOM allows deferals. Nothing mentioned on the website.

- Tae

Hey,
Panel format isn't bad at all, don't sweat it. I see you are from MT, I think I might have a copy of the questions from int. feedback. If I find it, I could send them to you. But most of the questions are specific to your file with the standbys of why DO, what do you know about omm? Best of luck

What's up FleaGirl,

I second all the advise given so far in this thread, especially the one about the website that gives you the ins and outs of all the schools interviews. It's a good site to get to know what the interview is all about.
When I interviewed at TUCOM they asked a lot about why I chose Osteopathy instead of allopathic school. I agree with Thumper that you have to know the difference between the two types of medschool. To get to know osteopathy's background a little better, I highly recommend the book by Norman Gevitz "The DO: Osteopathic Medicine in America." It's the bible of facts about osteopathy. Get it!!!! Now!! If you haven't read it before your interview. Anyways, they also asked me about my past experience as a chiropractor and why I wanted to make the big switch. I got very nervous before the interview, but if you stay at the Best Western Hotel, try to wake for the early breakfast that's prepared for you and get to know all the people that are going to interview with you. Half of them are going to be sitting right next to you at the actually interview. Good Luck!!! If you live in the area, you'll here from them in two days after the interview. If you live somewhere else in the US then it'll probably take them two weeks to get back to you. doc2b34

Thumper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woohoo, So I finally got my first interview invitation at TUCOM. (Don't ask, long story!) :rolleyes: Well, I am very excited, but extremely nervous at the same time. I really don't know what to expect and how to prepare. I have also heard some weird things about the school from people on this site, so I would like to know if those tales are fact or fiction. I would really appreciate any advice, pointers, or clarifications from anyone who knows what's up! Thanks again! ;)

Ellie,
Don't sweat the panel interview...I was a little nervous initially, but found it rather fun once it began!! Tucom is a great school and Dean Haight is way cool!!
The abandoned naval base is a little errie, but not bad. SF is great, though....Vallejo is ghetto from what some current students say, but there may be other communities in which to live.
I was accepted but the 2K within two weeks was too much for me to handle. You'll do fine....review your file--they'll ask you random stuff!!
Be yourself and don't be nervous, etc.
Take time to check out Frisco--lotta cool stuff.
Good luck,
Emil :D

Thanks Emil, I was beginning to wonder if ANYONE was going to posts! I know what you mean about the 2K, but how much time do they usually take to get back to you on an acceptance? I mean, if it's about a month so I have a chance to interview at oher schools, it won't be too bad, ya know? Anyway, thanks again, and good luck to you wherever you decide to go! ;)

Ellie,
I interviewed there on the 6th of Nov and heard back within a week and half(letter dated nov.16). It was my second to last interview and I interviewed at my top choice the following week (Nov.12). Because my top choice took 4wks to respond...I had no choice but to wait to hear from them. By then, my two week window had expired and someone else will fill the seat they offered. Anything else, just write another post.
I'm sure you'll get a flood of responses.
Have fun and good luck!! ;)

I just received my secondary from TUCOM and included in it was a letter for the early decision option. Is this a good thing or does Touro send them out with every secondary.

-Justin

I am pretty sure that if you submit your AACOMAS early, they give you the option regardless of your app. It says on the letter that early decision is an option offered to us because we sent our primaries in so early.

why would TUCOM graduates have any harder of a time finding a job after graduation than any other students? If you do well in school, and place into a decent residency, and work hard, it is my understanding that things will work out. Maybe I am naive. Just wondering if you heard something to make you think this.

Well, the discrimination you talk about exists (if at all) at a much smaller scale than you (and many others here) think. I have worked in many aspects of the medical field here in CA, and have run across DO's everywhere. Now, I have been in contact with many more MD's, but then again, there are more MDs than DOs in this world. I would talk to some doctors, MDs and DOs, for yourself, to see for yourself about this 'discrimination'. From what I have seen in this state, there is no problem for DOs to get work. "We" are a sought after bunch of physicians. As far as allopathic residencies, I have heard many DOs say they have never had a problem with their MD counterparts. good luck

I just got a letter for an interview at TUCOM. They gave me the option of applying early. Does anyone know if this means, ifyou are not accepted that your other applications are flagged with this? What has everyone heard about TUCOM?

Thanks so much!

Molybdenum

i would suggest that you look into their residency programs. from the previous years, many touro students have been placed into top-notch residency programs. these included pm&r at harvard, surgery at ucla, emergency med at usc, int med at uci, pediatrics at stanford, anesthesiology at columbia etc. if you are uncertain about a school, this (residency match) will be a good indicator to provide you with more information about the school.

from my inside sources, touro is working to obtain clinical affiliation with cpmc (california pacific med center, the hospital which used to be run by stanford and ucsf) and oakland highland hosp, (good residency programs).

again, who knows, it's a fairly new school, it still depends on where and how the administrators will carry them to.

hope this helps. ;)

Moly,

Think about it: If CA has the like the 5th highest number of DO's in practice in the country, but only has two AOA-accredited hospitals, then where are all these DO's working? Side-by-side with MD colleagues! Just do a internet search and look at the large variety of DO's practicing in CA.

I received an invitation for an interview at TUCOM and scheduled it for August 19. Anyone else going on that day? Also has anyone been to TUCOM before for an interview? What type of format do they use and what types of questions?

Thanks,
Justin

Originally posted by mohody
I received an invitation for an interview at TUCOM and scheduled it for August 19. Anyone else going on that day? Also has anyone been to TUCOM before for an interview? What type of format do they use and what types of questions?

Thanks,
Justin

I interviewed there last April. You are interviewed in groups of 4-5, by a group of 3-4 faculty members. Open file. Questions from file and general questions of osteopathic medicine.

My prep for the interview was to read *all* of the entries for Touro from the interviewfeedback.com site. That site was awesome, but hasn't been up and running for ages ...

However, since I'm a dork, I downloaded all the entires and compiled into a .zip Word file that's available for download at:

http://homepage.mac.com/taehyongkim/FileSharing8.html

You can get it from there.

Be gentle, this is a free acount, and expires in 50 days.

Good luck.

- Tae

tkim6599,
Thanks for the info.

-Justin

Any adivce for an upcoming TUCOM interview. I know they have started a few so far...any hints. Has anyone been thru a panel type inteview yet? These seem to be less formal than a one on one, is this better or worse?

SoCal,

I found the panel interview better than the one-on-one interview. I had been warned about the TUCOM interview from medical students at other schools. They were completely wrong! I loved the interview at TUCOM.

Since it's a panel interview, you get less questions that you would one-on-one. Some students in the group receive more questions than others.

Dr. Haight, the Director of Admissions, will explain to you before the interview that the interviewers are not trying to embarass you, but only trying to bring out something positive in your application. They want to see how well you communicate in front of your peers. For example, do you talk too much, and dominate the conversation? Dr. Haight is a wonderful asset.

I wouldn't say they are less formal, however. The interviewers are trying to find out how well you communicate, and also learn about your background. They have the power to reject you, of course. One of the panel members will present you to the entire admission's committee. I felt the pressure to still do well, and took it as seriously and formally as my other interviews.

The interviewers are very well prepared. They have had your file for a week, and ask good questions about your application that are not superficial.

Good luck.

Well, I just returned from my interview at TUCOM. Everyone was nice and outgoing on the campus. Dr. Haight was great and he told you anything you wanted to know. They tried to help you relax and did not try to stress you out. There were eight of us interviewing. There were 5 women and 3 men. One woman was a PA, another a dietician, the other had a degree in business and working on a second degree in chemistry, and the other 2 I think had science degrees. One man was working on a degree in psychology and the other I'm not sure he didn't talk much. And I am working on a degree in biology. Most of the questions were taken off the application. I think the people who were not science majors got the hardest questions.

The interview was done in a panel format. They usually will split the 8 people up into 2 groups of 4 for the interview, but they kept us in a group of 8. There were 3 interviewers and each one asked around 1 question to each of us. Here are some of the questions I can remember.

1. Tell us about your clinical experience in pediatrics? Did you shadow a D.O.? (Psychology major)

2. You only have 45 semester hours of science will this affect you in med school? (Psychology major)

3. Can you elaborate on the difference that you feel there are between tradition and modern OMM? (The interviewer thought she put this on her application, but she said she didn't, PA).

4. Why didn't your clinical experience help you get a better score on the MCAT? (PA, this ticked her off during the interview)

5. Why a D.O.? (PA)

6. Can you elaborate on an ethic subject that you taught? (The woman taught an ethics course).

7. If you were an advisor to President Bush how would you advise him on stem cell research? (Ethics woman).

8. Why Touro? (Ethics)

9. If an obese family comes into your office how would you tell them to lose weight? (Dietician)

10. What experience did you learn in the ER? (Business chemistry)

11. Why do you want to move from New Mexico to the bay area?

12. What qualities that you learned in the military can you bring to Touro? (Me)

13. Did the D.O. that worked on your ankle do anything different from the M.D.? (Me)

14. Why did I choose the University of Nevada-Reno to do my undergrad? (Me)

These are all the questions I can remember now; I'm tired from the long drive. Dr. Haight told us they try to make a quick decision to accept or reject, usually within a week or two. The committee meets this Thursday and Friday I will know if I got in or not!

-Justin

please fill in the questionaire on interview feedback in SDN

oops, I forgot to say: Good luck and I hope you get in!!!

Hi, Mohody

"Your generosity will be paid off with a nice ticket to med school!"

:cool:

Any tips for someone going to a TUCOM interview? Anything will help...thanks

hey socal,
i guess you're intent on going there... are you interviewing that early....well i'm attending comp...but, i do remember the tucom interview ...it was my first one..and i bombed..and didn't get in...and i didn't interview till march...but, the interview is composed of 3 profs, 1 student....and 4 intervieweess...or somthing like that at one big table...they take turn asking each person questions....be sure to know your apps well..they will have read it before hand...and will usually have several questions about the apps...and when they ask others questions you should pay attention......also they might throw some theoretical question at you.....well good luck...tell me how it goes.:D

I am interviewing at TUCOM on Oct. 21...anyone else. Mohody...congrats on the acceptance...I hope to be joining you next year.

p.s...thanks for the intverviewfeedback material...it is a great help.

I'll be going to interview on Oct. 8th. Is anyone else?