frank51

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
Can anyone tell how the rotations are setup at TUCOM. I’m specifically interested about the number of free electives during the 3rd year. Is it possible to do several rotations for the same specialty at different hospitals during the 3rd year?

cutaway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
San Francisco, soon to Texas
Status
frank51 said:
Can anyone tell how the rotations are setup at TUCOM. I’m specifically interested about the number of free electives during the 3rd year. Is it possible to do several rotations for the same specialty at different hospitals during the 3rd year?
Req for MS3 (as of last year):

2 mos IM (often split 1 mo outpt/ 1 mo inpt)
2 mos surgery (1 mo Gen/ 1 mo Ortho at my site)
2 mos FP
1 mo Psych
1 mo Ob/Gyn
1 mo Peds
1 mo ER or or 'primary care' equivalent

In addition to 1 month vacation, that leaves 2 mos elective. So yes, you might do a couple extra away rotations in a given specialty, although some institutions might not want 3rd years at all or not until you've completed at least relevant cores above, and some core rotation sites might want you for the whole year with no aways.

Quick check of web says this is still the same:
http://www.tucom.edu/CatTUCOM.htm

Look down under 'Description of Courses'.

-C

cutaway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
frank51 said:
To clarify:

Web data in previous post is for TUCOM-CA. TUCOM-NV does not have MS3 course reqs posted yet.

-C

OP
F

frank51

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
cutaway said:
To clarify:

Web data in previous post is for TUCOM-CA. TUCOM-NV does not have MS3 course reqs posted yet.

-C
Thanks for the information, I'd imagine that TUCOM-NV follows the exact same curriculum as TUCOM-MI when it comes to rotations. BTW, do most students do their away rotations in the speciality that they’re interested in during their 3rd year or their 4th year?

cutaway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
frank51 said:
Thanks for the information, I'd imagine that TUCOM-NV follows the exact same curriculum as TUCOM-MI when it comes to rotations. BTW, do most students do their away rotations in the speciality that they’re interested in during their 3rd year or their 4th year?
The most important away rotations in your specialty of interest would be 'sub-internships' done in the first few months of your 4th year (July-Oct). Ideally, you should do them early in order to get your sub-I grades and good letters of rec back in time to have include them in your Dean's letter (Nov 1st) and your ERAS materials/ residency applications.

You might be able to do the equivalent late in 3rd year if you have your act together.

Good luck,

-C

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
Under Touro University's Catalog (http://www.tucom.edu/CatTUCOM.htm):
Clinical Clerkship Program

There are a total of twenty-two (22) clerkship periods. Twenty of these are assigned in a manner prescribed by the Curriculum Committee and the Dean to assure that every student obtains the core experience needed to become a well trained osteopathic primary care physician.

Flexibility is provided by two electives during the 3rd year and selectives during the 3rd and 4th year, and one month of vacation each year to give the student ample opportunity to pursue his/her special interest.

Whenever possible, we use hospitals approved by the AOA for post-doctoral training because the inspections by the AOA, in addition to our own, provide assurance of adequate teaching material and faculty. Also, the interaction with the house staff increases the student's opportunity for learning. In addition, we have ambulatory training sites that range from private practices to urban and rural health centers.

The clerkships provided at each site and the number of students assigned to each site from TUCOM are determined by mutual agreement of the Hospital Administrator, Director of Medical Education, Clinical Faculty and the TUCOM Office of Clinical Education.

Third Year Student Clinical Rotations Requirements:

Internal Medicine I 4 weeks
Internal Medicine II 4 weeks
Family Medicine I 4 weeks
Family Medicine II 4 weeks
General Surgery I 4 weeks
General/Orthopedic Surgery 4 weeks
Pediatrics 4 weeks
Obstetrics/Gynecology 4 weeks
Emergency Medicine 4 weeks
Psychiatry 4 weeks
Elective I 4 weeks
Elective II 4 weeks
Vacation 4 weeks
Total: 52 weeks

NOTES

Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine is integrated appropriately in the curriculum.
Emergency Medicine must be completed by the end of the 4th year. A Primary Care rotation may be substituted for Emergency Medicine in the 3rd year.
Six (6) weeks of Pediatrics and six (6) weeks of Obstetrics/Gynecology must be completed by the end of the 4th year to graduate.
Fourth Year Student Clinical Rotations Requirements:

Core Rotations - 5 Rotations at TUCOM Affiliated Sites
Primary Care 4 weeks
Medical Subspecialties 4 weeks
Specialty Options 4 weeks
Surgical Specialty 4 weeks
Acute/Critical Care 4 weeks
Non-Core Rotations - 5 Rotations
Primary Care 4 weeks
Medical Subspecialties 4 weeks
Specialty Options 4 weeks
Elective-Primary Care 4 weeks
Elective-All Discipline Categories 4 weeks
Other
Vacation 4 weeks
Educational Review 2 weeks

Discipline Category Descriptions

Primary Care:

Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics

Medical Subspecialties:

Cardiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Hematology/Oncology, Infectious Diseases, Nephrology, Neurology, Pulmonology

Specialty Options:

Alternative Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Medically Underserved, OMM, Pathology, Pain Management, Palliative Care, Psychiatry, Public Health, Radiation Oncology, Radiology, Rehabilitation Medicine, Rural, Substance Abuse

Surgical Specialty:

Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Otolaryngology, Emergency Medicine, OB/GYN, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery, Urology

Acute/Critical Care:

ICU, CCU, Intensivist, Cardiology

Elective - Primary Care:

Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics

Elective:

Includes All Discipline Categories

NOTES

Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) is integrated appropriately in all rotations.
This schedule reflects ten (10) active rotation blocks.
A minimum of five (5) rotations must be taken within the TUCOM Network.
All core rotations must be taken within the TUCOM Network.
Emergency Medicine must be completed by the end of the 4th year.
Six (6) weeks of Pediatrics and six (6) weeks of Obstetrics/Gynecology must be completed by the end of the 4th year to graduate.
Four (4) weeks of Surgical Specialty may be substituted for Specialty Options during Non-Core rotations. This substitution is not acceptable during the Core rotations.
Vacation (4 weeks) and Education Review (2 weeks) may be taken as the student deems appropriate for interview time, Board study time, coordination and timing with other rotation sites' date, etc.
The curriculum will include five (5) Core rotations at TUCOM affiliated sites. There will be five (5) Non-Core rotations.