TUCOM-MI or AZCOM-1 more day to decide. Please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoohDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into both TUCOM-MI and AZCOM and I don't know which one to go to. I've already put in my deposit for TUCOM due to timing, but have one more day to notify AZCOM of my decision. Please help!

These are my concerns:
1. TUCOM students seemed of a little higher caliber and seemed to have a more diverse group of students.
2. TUCOM matches better residencies in CA (where I'd like to end up).
3. BUT TUCOM students seem a little more disgruntled and unhappy with the program compared to other schools (resources, curriculum flaws, etc.)
4. AZCOM students seem very happy in AZ and with the program.
5. AZCOM doesn't have rotation sites set up for you and you have to do it all yourself. Does this mean that they don't have any hospital affiliations? If not, what is your tuition going towards and how are they responsible for your clinical education?
6. AZCOM's match list doesn't seem as good as that of TUCOM.

TUCOM seems like a better school overall? but I am concerned that students might not really like it there or the resources the program has to offer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Go Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine!
Can you transfer to Touro University-Nevada?
Just kidding! Weighing all the pros and cons, I would say Touro University is the better choice.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=188915

Quite honestly, I wouldn't be concerned about going to a school that has students of a higher caliber, and or a group of diverse people.
Touro University Mare Island is in a great location, has a lot of potential, good hospital affiliations, the students and faculty are nice and work really hard. Cannot beat California clerkships, residencies, etc.

Touro University: Great instructors, awesome students, good location, clerkships and residency training opportunites in California, Nevada, Arizona, etc., Alumni have matched into competitive residency programs....
Definitely do some research on the differences between curriculum.
The list goes on and on.

Members don't see this ad :)
medicine1 said:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=188915

Quite honestly, I wouldn't be concerned about going to a school that has students of a higher caliber, and or a group of diverse people.
Touro University Mare Island is in a great location, has a lot of potential, good hospital affiliations, the students and faculty are nice and work really hard. Cannot beat California clerkships, residencies, etc.

Touro University: Great instructors, awesome students, good location, clerkships and residency training opportunites in California, Nevada, Arizona, etc., Alumni have matched into competitive residency programs....
Definitely do some research on the differences between curriculum.
The list goes on and on.

That's so funny that you linked my old thread. I was hoping I could get more responses if I posted it again on a different forum :) Thanks for the input!

From the match lists, I can definitely see that Touro is far better. I guess the reason I'm so stressed about the situation is because 3 out of the 4 people from Touro that I asked how they like the program indicated many flaws with it (1 person loved it). I didn't get that impression from AZCOM students. Of course, this could have just been the sample of people I asked.

For undergrad, I went to UC Berkeley. It was a great school, but had a really bad pre-med program that produced a lot of disgruntled, frustrated students. While I know Touro is great, I just want to make sure I'm not just making that decision because it's a better school. I want to know that a majority of the students that go there are indeed pleased with the way the program runs and the education they're getting, not just where they placed. I keep hearing...I came here because I want to be in Cali. Shouldn't it be I came here because this is an awesome program with great students and faculty? I want the program to fit me, if that makes sense. I guess I'm not 100% convinced that most people go there because they love the program and that the faculty is supportive during 1st and 2nd years.

At the same time, I cannot ignore the fact that AZCOM has students set up their own 3rd and 4th year rotations and have a weak clinical program.

Are you a student at Touro? If so, what year?

Thank you everyone who gave me input on these schools. I've made my final decision--I'm going to TUCOM!!! All schools will have their disgruntled students, and I think I just happened to talk to a few of them. But the rest of the students seem to like their classmates and faculty. My experience thus far with them has also been positive- so that's what I should be basing my impression of the school on. A lot of DO schools are new and have their kinks. No school is perfect. I can't ignore the fact that AZCOM's clinical education isn't as good as TUCOM. So I'm here to stay in Cali, and I'm excited about my decision. See the rest of you TUCOMers in Aug! :D

I am actually starting Touro University-Nevada this coming Fall. I was interviewed on the Mare Island campus, and met up with some of the students out there. I personally prefer Nevada, but I think both schools are really good (TUCOM-CA and TUCOM-NV).

PoohDoc said:
Thank you everyone who gave me input on these schools. I've made my final decision--I'm going to TUCOM!!! All schools will have their disgruntled students, and I think I just happened to talk to a few of them. But the rest of the students seem to like their classmates and faculty. My experience thus far with them has also been positive- so that's what I should be basing my impression of the school on. A lot of DO schools are new and have their kinks. No school is perfect. I can't ignore the fact that AZCOM's clinical education isn't as good as TUCOM. So I'm here to stay in Cali, and I'm excited about my decision. See the rest of you TUCOMers in Aug! :D

Congratulations PoohDoc! I am very happy for you! :clap: :clap: