1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Tucom(NV) - is a new school not good for residency?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by totoro723, Nov 15, 2005.

1. totoro723

totoro723 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi I was just accepted to touro in nevada and I am thinking about doing either dermatology or plastic surgery so I was wondering is it not good to go to a new school if I want to apply to a competitive residency program? Also if any is from touro what are your thoughts about getting into residency programs and are there gonna be residency programs near touro? thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrB

DrB Family Medicine Resident
    10+ Year Member

Yes lots of slots will be there for us. We have several students in my class also interested in those specialties. You have to understand the opportunity we have here... Las Vegas has a shortage of physicians... they need us...

Get into med school... pass med school... don't worry about finding work there after.

-Good Luck and congrats!

Hope to see you next yer

4. RalphMacchio

RalphMacchio Member
    7+ Year Member

Which slots are you referring to? I am familiar with the physician shortage in Nevada, but not as familiar with the "lots" of residency programs near Touro.

Thanks,

Ralph

5. DrB

10+ Year Member

"Lots" of slots for us... for us to train in Nevada and stay in Nevada. Since our class has not graduated its first class yet, these slots are not open yet.

6. box29

box29 Keep on keepin' on Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One thing you have to keep in mind is that matching into a competitive specialty is most probably going to depend on your board scores and LORs. Your ERAS application to these programs will list all the other things.

Derm and plastics residencies are hard enough for the BEST MD students to get (talking about ACGME residency programs). You also need to remember that there are AOA approved Derm/facial plastics (AZ, CA, FL, MI, MO, NY, OH, PA) and plastics/reconstructive residencies (MI, OH, PA). You probably want to try to rotate at these programs and do your best. Get to know the Program Directors and other prominent people in the field. We had a dermatologist come to teach our Derm clinical systems course and she told us about the contacts she had for those interested in derm. We also have the chance to rotate with her if we would like.

Increasing your chances to match at a good program will depend more on you the student rather than the school you may have attended. Your board scores may be the initial cutoff for qualifying for an interview.

Go to http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/search/search.cfm to search for AOA approved residency programs.

7. RalphMacchio

RalphMacchio Member
    7+ Year Member

There are lots of slots for students to stay in Nevada? According to the link that box29 posted there are only two AOA approved residencies in Nevada. Do you speculate more to start once the first class graduates?

Ralph

8. box29

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I believe dually approved AOA/ACGME programs are in the works for the area and mostly include FP or primary care. I have not heard about specialty programs being created except maybe the RUMOR of an ortho program. Again, I am not sure about any of these and perhaps it would be best to contact someone in administration.

9. 1hotaartichoke

1hotaartichoke Not Just Another Veggie!
    5+ Year Member

the ortho surg residency is not a rumor. it is in the works. dr. corvetti is hoping to have it up and running by 2008 i believe.

10. RalphMacchio

RalphMacchio Member
    7+ Year Member

I googled "corvetti" and came up with nothing... quite odd to me if a new DO ortho residency is "in the works" here on the west coast...

Ralph

11. medicine1

medicine1 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Apropos, there are residencies already in place at UMC. Just check out there website. The chief of Emergency Medicine at UMC is a D.O. I think people are getting mixed up with medical school rotations vs. actual residencies.
    At the moment The Valley Hospital Systems, and UMC have residency programs available. UMC has most of the residency programs right now; everything from Surgery to Pediatrics.

12. box29

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes there are a few residency programs at UMC but not many. The most accurate source one could find is the ACGME Reporting site and AOA site. Furthermore, one should always cross check with those specific programs to make sure all the information is correct including the number of positions and those available for PGY-1,2,3, etc. Check the accreditation status and funding as well.

FYI, UMC does not offer all types of residency programs. UMC offers FP, IM, Sports Med, Peds, OB/GYN, Plastics, Psych, and Gen Surg. This is hardly everything. There is no EM, Rads - diag, Rad-onc, Gas, Ortho, Optho, Neuro, Derm, ENT, path, PM&R, and uro to name a few more.

The OP was originally asking about residency programs and specifically those in dermatology and plastics. I originally posted the link to the AOA approved residencies so others could search whatever program they wanted. In terms of derm and plastics, there are no dermatology programs (AOA or ACGME accredited) in NV. There is 1 ACGME plastics program at UMC with 1 position and provisional accreditation and NO AOA approved programs.

Here is the link for checking ACGME residency programs:

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

A search of the ACGME accredited programs in NV include:

Family Medicine (UMC, UNR)
    Sports Medicine – FP (UMC)
    Internal Medicine (UMC)
    Obstetrics and Gynecology (UMC)
    Pediatrics (UMC)
    Plastic Surgery (UMC)
    Psychiatry (UMC & UNR)
    Surgery-General (UMC)

Currently, there are NO EM nor ortho programs in NV (ACGME or AOA).

AOA approved residency programs in NV include:

http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/search/search.cfm

Family Practice (Valley) with 24 approved and funded positions.

Internal Medicine (Valley) with 18 approved and funded positions.

13. RalphMacchio

RalphMacchio Member
    7+ Year Member

medicine1,

googled crovetti and all that came up the bone and joint institute of southern nevada... nothing about an AOA approved ortho residency... is there any other info available?

Ralph

14. RalphMacchio

RalphMacchio Member
    7+ Year Member

box29,

thank you so much for that informed, accurate, unbiased and complete synopsis of the opportunities in Nevada. It is very much appreciated!

Ralph

15. box29

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No problem. The above post was just for clarification of residency programs currently available.

The ortho progam "in the works" is just that..."in the works." Since it MAY be in the planning stages, there will most likely be no published information available on the net. I have not heard anything more from the administration or the student ortho interest group of which, Dr. Crovetti is the faculty advisor. I will try to find out more about this.

Again, for anyone, applying to and matching into a residency program after medical school will be dependent on many factors. The most popular factors that many programs initially screen are one's board scores (COMLEX and/or USMLE) depending on the type of program, the interview itself, information on ERAS application, LORs, audition rotations, etc.

16. 1hotaartichoke

1hotaartichoke Not Just Another Veggie!
    5+ Year Member

since im in the ortho interest group, i did get a chance to speak to dr. crovetti, and he confirmed that he was working on getting one started and, like i said before, hoped to have it up and running by 2008.

17. sistermike

sistermike Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I also know that UMC has an Emergency residency in the works, and as far as I know, it is only a matter of being approved. It is the only #1 Trauma center in Southern Nevada (perhaps in Nevada.. I am unsure if Reno has one). I think the emergency residency should be approved and established by 2007, if I am not mistaken.

18. DrB

10+ Year Member

19. RalphMacchio

RalphMacchio Member
    7+ Year Member

that place has the same address as Touro. I assume every Touro student has an opportunity to play around there/a lot of ancillary classes are taught over there if you are soliciting MERIN as a selling point for your school...

Ralph

20. RalphMacchio

RalphMacchio Member
    7+ Year Member

anything published about this?

Ralph

21. box29

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have not found anything as of yet and will continue to search. Remember that it is not easy to start a residency program and be "approved."

I stand behind the published information regarding CURRENT residency program opportunities in NV. I cannot definitively say anything about unpublished or unaccreddited programs nor residency programs "in the works." I am only providing FACTUAL and relevant material to those interested parties who wish to know of the CURRENT opportunities.

22. monelkub

monelkub Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

This picture from the MERIN website is of my class last year when we had our anatomy lecture on the lower limb. Dr. Crovetti did a total knee for us. Very cool.

[​IMG]

Nik

23. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

if it's west of kirksville...good luck getting the AOA to do much of anything.

(ps. if you are wondering about the pessimism, it's because the AOA is allowing for the explosion of new schools yet there are less than 10 family med residencies and only three IM residencies west of Missouri...let alone sub-specialty residencies!!!)

24. Gregg

Gregg Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I started a thread about this in October. There is the text of a newspaper article about the funding for an EM program at UMC. I haven't seen anything about the status of this, but then again I'm only a MS1 and studying for anatomy, not worrying about such things... :rolleyes: