TUCOM or NOVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ubigal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to both schools. I am interested in going into an allopathic ophthalmology residency.

Any thoughts on what school I should attend to put myself in the best position to match?

I liked boths schools - so matching is the determining factor.

Secondly, does anyone know where I can go to see how their graudates match, well, for NOVA at least. Or just how DO grads match in the specilaties in general?

--Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. If you want to do a allopathic residency in an ultra-competitive field that leaves a large number of allopathic graduates unmatched, why attend an osteopathic college at all? There are a decent number of osteopathic residencies in your field of interest and with the proper credentials you could match there, but your chances of matching into an allopathic residency in THIS particular field from two schools who have a strong primary-care emphasis in their curricula seems slim. First of all, both schools do not leave the large block of elective rotations(specialty elective rotations) that would be needed to get your foot in the door for a residency position like you are talking about. Second, I have seen the match lists for the past five years at NSU-COM(you can call the medical education office and they might provide you with them) and maybe one person did what you are talking about doing and I would assume that the match list at TUCOM would show something similar. I am not saying that it would be impossible, but I would say it would be an uphill battle, not because these are osteopathic schools but because both of these schools do have a primary care emphasis. I would give you similar advice if you were talking about two-thirds of the allopathic colleges because of the small number of positions nationwide. Keep your options open if possible and don't rule out other specialties you have not had the opportunity to experience yet.

Good Luck

past graduates of NSU-COM have matched in osteopathic ophthalmology residencies...as for allopathic I don't know...