TUCOM Rotations and Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J143

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I just interviewed at TUCOM and was wondering about their rotation and residency opportunities. I loved the school, but am a little concerned becuase it is such a new school and has not graduated it's first class yet. Is it going to be more difficult for TUCOM students to get into good residency programs?

The facilities are great and I'm really drawn to the fact that it's in the bay area.
Just a little nervous about the 'newness' factor.

Any thoughts?

JH

Members don't see this ad.

TUCOM like any NEW medical school when they first opened it doors just need TIME to establish.

Until then, you are the guinea pig which the school will base its decision on changes for the future. Do you want to that?

Nothing against TUCOM, I am sure they will be great in the future but until then you are the experiment.

COMP when it first started had rough waters I'm sure, but if I ask for board score ave, accreditation, rotation possibilites, & most importantly WHERE do the alums end up...I CAN GET IT!!! Where you want to be in the future is ultimately up to you, but its nice to know where past classes have gone because if they can do it, WHY can't you?

New medical schools (MD or DO) are just a little risky especially if its a DO school.

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

You should be concerned with a new medical school for the reasons that Rob stated. In addition you should be concerned because med schools need hospitals, and I'm not sure if TUCOM has set up an affiliate network. As I mentioned in another post, I think the Pikeville DO school requires MS3s and MS4s to go out and set up their own rotations at various sites throughout the country. That's a horrible way to get a medical education because you won't have easy access to faculty. Your recommendations from the third-year are most important for residnecy applications, and I can't imagine you'll get a strong letter from an attending having only spent a month on the service as an outside student... Especially if it's one with many "home" students!

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's very true Tim....

Among anything, you rotation evaluations are one if not the most important factors in securing a particular residency slot especially in certain specialties.

The last thing you want is to try & get an evaluation from a clinician who has never evaluated a student before. You want a preceptor who has been teaching past med students for some time. Again, too risky especially since this is your future & noone else.

My friend is in the 1st class at TUCOM (2001) & she was telling me that they have to do most of their rotations as OFFICE-BASED rotations. I am not sure, maybe it has changed and got affiliated w/ some hospitals already, but you don't want to do that because HOSPITAL-BASED Rotations are more rigorous & you will learn medicine much better.

Remember as a medical student (3rd & 4th yr) its okay to mess up because there is always someone watching & teaching you. THAT'S HOW YOU LEARN. However, when you're an Intern/Resident, major resposiblities will be placed on your shoulders-you're now taking care of actual patients. You better know your S---, if you know what I mean (excuse my language). A heavy price to pay if you don't get quality rotations under your belt.

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

TUCOM sends their current MS3s on rotations in an office? No in-patient work?

Does the AOA allow that?

I'm not trying to say that's the end of the world, since I have no idea what clinical medicine involves, but the system at most medical schools is to send students through a hospital -- not an office. Heck, I'M being sent to offices now, and when it comes to working with a private physician with their paying patients, you're not going to do anything.

Tim of New York City.

I could be wrong....any TUCOM students to cofirm this.

My friend was trying to check if she can rotate through some COMP affilated hospitals because she was bummed that most if not all her 3rd yr rotations would be office-based.

I read an article (shoots!! I forgot the name of the journal) that stated that ITS VERY IMPORTANT to try & do mostly if not all HOSPITAL-BASED rotations as possible because the caliber between the two is definitely obvious.

When we become a 3rd & 4th year, YOU DECIDE what you want to do!! So, its very important to choose rotations that will not only work you hard, but teach you well also. Internship/Residency is not very far away when you're a 3rd/4th year. So if you slack during rotations and rotate w/ uncle joe (whose a doctor)& shadow him or play golf all day, it will definitely reflect on how GOOD of a doctor you will be when you're an Intern/Resident.

Have you ever heard the phrase said among medical staffs, "what an incompetent intern/resident"? I did when I used to wor in the medical lab before med school. I always pray to God that one day I am not called that so I always work my butt off
smile.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP CLass of 2002