TUCOM students in NHSC

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by doc2b34, Jan 17, 2002.

1. doc2b34

doc2b34 Anesthesiology
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Guys,

I'm planning to apply for the National Health Service Corp. Scholarship for the 3rd and 4th year. Is it as good as it sounds. Please respond with as much info. as possible about the program. Thank you.

2. Dancer

Dancer Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Doc2B34,

I'm also headed to Touro and was planning on the NHSC scholarship. I'd also be curious to hear others' experiences with it, but haven't had much luck on this topic yet on the SDN.

If you'd be interested in chatting b/f Aug., send me an email! :) Oh, you are probably a 2nd year headed to rotations, I suppose...

3. doc2b34

doc2b34 Anesthesiology
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Dancer,

I think I read your note on the SDN before and I was the one who added an additional comment. To answer your question, I'm also starting school in August 2002. We're going to be class mates! I wanted to start school with taking out loans for the first two years because I'm not sure if I wanted to be primary care. My first choice would be Dermatology, but I'm not sure if I could get the residency yet. So if I get high enough grades and boards then I will take out loans for the rest of the four years. But if my grades are sorry then I would go primary care and apply for the NHSC. Write back.

4. ugogirl

ugogirl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

How do you get info on this scholarship? What is it? It sounds interesting....

I will also start TUCOM fall 2002.

5. doc2b34

doc2b34 Anesthesiology
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    To Ugogirl,

I found the information on the <a href="http://www.aamc.org/about/gsa/md2_sec_ii.htm" target="_blank">web page</a>
    Hope that helped, doc2b34

6. Dancer

Dancer Member
    7+ Year Member

Cool, Doc2b34...we'll be classmates!

I got the application for the scholarship today and it is pretty interesting. All scantron from what I saw. Some weird/interesting questions about what's important to you in your practice and what you are like as a person.

Keep in mind that if you get the scholarship and then renege on doing your residency in primary care, then you have to pay back something like 3x the amount that they gave you!! I'm lucky 'cause i'm interested in psychiatry and they count general psychiatry as primary care (along with OB/GYN and some others). Just make sure you read the fine print.

Chat with you later!