TUCOM vs. COMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonchild

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both programs and am leaning toward TUCOM because of location (near family). However, I'm unclear about the new curriculum at TUCOM (effective Fall 2006). Also, I'm really confused about how the whole 3rd and 4th year rotations work in either places. From reading other forum entries I gather that COMP students can manage to stay in LA area if they want to... is that true? And how about TUCOM? If I go to northern Cali, I want to stay there, and not have to jump around so much in my 3rd/4th years... :(

I have to choose between the two within 10 days and would really love any comments/advice/suggestions that you might have... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year COMP student and have limited knowledge of TUCOM's curriculum, but I see a fair number of them doing 3rd year core rotations here in southern California at some of our sites, so not sure if that is by their preference or if they chose to rotate down here.

For COMP students, a high percentage stay in southern California for 3rd year rotations while a few go to other states depending on their preferences. Where you do some rotations in southern California can vary, but staying in the general Los Angeles/Orange County/San Bernardino county area is not a real problem.

The COMP class of 2009 is going through our new curriculum and talking to the students, it seems to be received favorably and the fallout rate seems to be more positive than in the past. It still remains to be seen how the students will perform overall as they are still MS-I's, but they should have almost double the time to study for Step 1 of boards when it comes around.

Definitely try to get as much information from both schools as possible.. and even in the instance that you may have to put down a first deposit for both schools and drop one (not sure if this is possible?), to find the right school for you will be a decision you won't regret.

moonchild said:
I've been accepted to both programs and am leaning toward TUCOM because of location (near family). However, I'm unclear about the new curriculum at TUCOM (effective Fall 2006). Also, I'm really confused about how the whole 3rd and 4th year rotations work in either places. From reading other forum entries I gather that COMP students can manage to stay in LA area if they want to... is that true? And how about TUCOM? If I go to northern Cali, I want to stay there, and not have to jump around so much in my 3rd/4th years... :(

I have to choose between the two within 10 days and would really love any comments/advice/suggestions that you might have... Thanks!

Don't know much about what's happening at TUCOM in the near future but I know that COMP is 1) attracting a better and better incoming class of students in terms of stats(gpa/mcat) every year and currently has the highest of those numbers amongst DO schools. That means definitely some things are done right and applicants see that.
2)building a new big building w/ even better facilities for DOs beginning construction in 2007 3)about to complete new labs this year with new research faculty from places like Standford and Princeton and they are ambitious about turning Western into a research institution 4)about to secure within the next year or so an addtional strong clinical site that will be COMP only

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
moonchild said:

I go to COMP and it's a great school... you can stay in the vicinities of L.A. for rotations but do not underestimate being close to your family. It's a BIG plus. I don't think TUCOM students have a problem arranging rotations in Northern Cali either but you should check with those students. Regarding the high numbers at COMP, a lot has to do with being in Southern California as well. Either way, you can't go wrong with either school in my opinion. And if you're unsure about the new curriculum at TUCOM, I have a feeling they'll be changing our curriculum around again for 2010... Also, I had the same choice as you last year and chose COMP and I'm glad I did - and it really is helpful to be close to family.

I've heard that TUCOM-MI is instituting a vertical curriculum. What it entails, I'm not sure, but I have heard that gross will be 2 years. Does anyone who knows care to elaborate?

Jinyaoysiu said:
Don't know much about what's happening at TUCOM in the near future but I know that COMP is 1) attracting a better and better incoming class of students in terms of stats(gpa/mcat) every year and currently has the highest of those numbers amongst DO schools. That means definitely some things are done right and applicants see that.
2)building a new big building w/ even better facilities for DOs beginning construction in 2007 3)about to complete new labs this year with new research faculty from places like Standford and Princeton and they are ambitious about turning Western into a research institution 4)about to secure within the next year or so an addtional strong clinical site that will be COMP only

Good Luck

That's very good news!

OnMyWayThere said:
I go to COMP and it's a great school... you can stay in the vicinities of L.A. for rotations but do not underestimate being close to your family. It's a BIG plus. I don't think TUCOM students have a problem arranging rotations in Northern Cali either but you should check with those students. Regarding the high numbers at COMP, a lot has to do with being in Southern California as well. Either way, you can't go wrong with either school in my opinion. And if you're unsure about the new curriculum at TUCOM, I have a feeling they'll be changing our curriculum around again for 2010... Also, I had the same choice as you last year and chose COMP and I'm glad I did - and it really is helpful to be close to family.

Thank you so much everyone for your insight. After talking to many people about it and trying to imagine what the next few years is going to be like, I think I'll be happier near my family (haven't been near them for 7yrs!!!)... and I know that if I'm happier, I study better. So, I think I'm going to go with TUCOM, but I should say that I did really like COMP on my interview day and I agree with you that one can't go wrong with either schools... Anyways, thanks again! :)

moonchild said:
Thank you so much everyone for your insight. After talking to many people about it and trying to imagine what the next few years is going to be like, I think I'll be happier near my family (haven't been near them for 7yrs!!!)... and I know that if I'm happier, I study better. So, I think I'm going to go with TUCOM, but I should say that I did really like COMP on my interview day and I agree with you that one can't go wrong with either schools... Anyways, thanks again! :)

Congratulations on your choice! It sounds like you've thought it out well and are happily committed which is a big thing. Being closer to family definitely has a lot of advantages. Good luck with your career!

moonchild said:

Good luck with your career!

does anyone know what the new curriculum is at TUCOM?
thanks

kahoo99 said:
does anyone know what the new curriculum is at TUCOM?
thanks

According to current tucom admin/students the curriculum is still being revised and won't be known till another several weeks or so.