Tucom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc09

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm just wondering if anybody has any info on TUCOM. I know it's a fairly new school and was told by a DO(ccom) that the quality of education supposedly isn't that good. If anybody attends TUCOM or has heard anything about it from other students, please let me know what the deal is! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't go to Touro, but I did interview there (and was accepted). From what I could tell, the school was pretty good. It is new and the curriculum is still getting ironed out--but I wouldn't call it a BAD school. In fact, I thought the faculty that I met was great and the administration (especially Dr. Haight) seemed very open to listening to the students.

The things that concerned me about the school were:

1) The campus: It seemed a little secluded and run-down, and still looked like a military base (though I think they were starting to improve that).

2) Other schools: I was worried the school would focus a lot of its attention and energy on the other schools that would be coming to campus--without continuing improvements on the medical school.

3) Being from the Midwest: It just seemed to me, that a lot of the students weren't as "open" to people from the Midwest. I received a couple strange comments about being from the Midwest from students who were native "Californians."

These are just my opinions. I really did think the school was good and had a lot of potential. Honestly, for me, it came down to me being more comfortable with AZCOM. Perhaps some current students would have more valid information to share.

[As a quick note: while CCOM is a good school and I really liked it--I have heard negative things about it from a couple of DO's that taught there at one time. However, those are just THEIR opinions.]

SDN and other "informed people" can be a good source of information--but my advice is to apply to the schools and check them out yourself. Only then will you know if it is truly a good fit for you.

Good Luck!

kc09,

First of all, let me preface my reply with the fact that I have been a big proponent for TUCOM for as long as I can remember, so my views may be somewhat biased, nonetheless I will do my best to present my points as objectively as possible...

That being said, I think TUCOM is an awesome school. It is a perfect fit for me because:

#1: the staff

As alluded to previously in this and previous posts, the staff at Touro is top notch... The very first people that you will come in contact with is Dr. Haight, Steven Davis, and Lynn Huckle of the offive of admissions and they are just the best. Through my research I haven't come accross any disgruntled students in respect to the faculty... time and time again, I have been told that the professors and staff go out of their way to make sure that their students succeed.

I will post some more later....

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses! I really want to be in California ( I did my undergrad at UCSB) and am not a big fan of LA. The doctor I spoke with said he knew some students who were being sent to Vegas and other such places for rotations. TUCOM is ideal for me but obvioulsy getting the best education possible is more important than location! So Brian, anything else you've got to say about it would be appreciated! And anybody else of course! One more thing, what's Vallejo like? Merci!

Vallejo is HORRIBLE--but the surrounding area is absolutely AMAZING and near by.

KC09,

I have to second what has been said above. I will be attending Touro in the next few weeks as a member of the Class of 2007 and I couldn't understand your situation any better! I love CA but I hate LA!

I researched this school for 3 years prior to applying and came up with the following opinion: If someone wants to complain about the education at this school then I have discovered one of two things: first, they really don't have any exposure to the school and so their opinion may simply be out of being underinformed, or second, if a student complains then it is because the student didn't do a good job of choosing the right school for them or perhaps it was the only school that accepted them and they resent it for that reason.

I have talked to several disgruntled students from the school but none of them, and I mean NONE have ever complained that it was the quality of the education that was their complaint. As a matter of fact, they have all been very clear that they will get a very good education at Touro, it was just other stuff that bothered them.

One thing I would question from this doctor is if he means that the rotations sites offer poor education or what? Just because a student is doing rotations in Vegas does not mean he/she is getting a bad education.

Just my opinions. I am very happy to be going to this school.

and i'm back... here are some more points why Touro fits me like a glove...

#2)Location: In my opinion Touro is really ideally located... Drive an hour one way and you ar in SF or San Jose or Palo Alto, drive an hour or so the other way and you are in Davis, Reno, Tahoe, or Sacramento... Vallejo isn't the greatest city in the worls, but there are plenty of great places to live within a reasonable drive to school...

#3)Age of school: Touro is reletively new, and I really enjoy being a part of and helping developing growing programs. I really think Touro is growing in an awesome direction and I am more than happy to contribute what i can to that development.

so these are just a couple of the things that I see Touro has to offer me... I could go on and on with more points, but each and everyone of them has a converse and and can be considered a reason not to go to Touro; in the end you have to find a school that is your fit...

hope this helps!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]