Tufts 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paranitroxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to look for a tufts related thread but after the 7th page got tired of looking (I hate making my search easier by using the search link...alright).

Anyway I am waitlisted at Tufts and since nobody in the admissions office will tell me anything about my statuse, I though I would go ahead and see what the class of 2008 was doing. Here are some questions that can be discussed:

How is apartment Hunting? I hear the dorms are hell...
Anybody attending the summer prematriculation programs?
What providers are you planning to use for non-federal loans?
Can somebody sneak into the admissions office and see where I stand on the list?

and so on.....

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!
I got off the waitlist at Tufts a little over a week ago so it has started to move and hopefully you'll get some good news from them soon! I was wondering what the situation is with the dorms....from your post it sounds like they're not the greatest option. I'm just wondering what you or anyone else has heard about them since there isnt' really much info floating around about them on the internet. THanks!

i hear the dorms are a dump. I think I'll be getting an apartment in the backbay area, which is only a subway stop away from campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
byrodini said:
i hear the dorms are a dump. I think I'll be getting an apartment in the backbay area, which is only a subway stop away from campus.

Tufts is ridiculously expensive, and the back bay is one of the most expensive living areas in the city- so you would really be putting yourself in debt by living there...

I'm going to attend the prematriculation program, which starts in exactly a week. Looking for housing was really difficult. There are a lot of overpriced, run-down apartments in Boston. You have to be patient to find the right place. Ultimately, I decided that it was worth the extra cost to live near the school.

I saw the dorms the other day. They didn't look that nice, but they are about 100 yards from the school.

Can't wait for classes to start. :)

ive lived in boston for the last 4 yrs, allston has cheap apartments but they are run down, backbay has nicer ones, but they are generally small and expensive. South end is medium range in price. fenway/kenmore area also is expensive but a nicer area. if you dont mind commuting, getting bigger nicer apartments might be easier outside of the city in places like somerville, malden, and cambridge which all have T stops multiple places in the city. be careful if you look at places in dorchester, jamaica plain and roxbury because you could end up in a bad area...depends on what part you are in. Just my 2 cents.

and dont forget medford - right near the tufts stop on the t... and sommerville is supposidly the new up and coming area [davis sq. region]
good luck!

These areas are also on the Orange line 20 min from the Tufts stop on the orange line.

Malden is quiet safe and boring but cheap! JP is funky, very diverse and a little less safe and cheap.

I am going to be living in Somerville with two 2nd yr med students. I found them through the shared apartment listing that the summer housing coordinator keeps. About a 10 minute walk from the Davis Sq T. The area is really cute over there.
In regard to the dorms, I looked at them and while they aren't terrible, that's a lot of money to pay for so little space ($780/month). You are super close to school, but the area isn't so safe at night. Also, you have to share a kitchen with the whole floor which doesn't sound great. And I wasn't dying to wearing flip flops and carry a basket down the hall to shower!

for all you new jumbos....im gonna be a 2nd year med student...but ive been a lifer as far as tufts goes....my advice to you guys is to NOT live in the dorm...aka "the pos"...although you might save some money...its not worth it. you probably won't leave the dorm and you won't enjoy your time in the dorm. if you can find a place on boston.craigslist.org or bostonapartments.com i'd go for it. or you can try and find a place through the housing thing tufts sets up since my good friend is in charge of it this summer. you're best bets as far as places to live are in back bay and south end even though they are clearly pricier than the burbs...but at the same token are closer to the med school campus. hopefully most of you m'08s will be more social than the m'07s and therefore appreciate being closer to the city than the undergrad campus in medford/slummerville (where i spent 5 out of the past 6 years). all in all the best advice i can offer if you're not familiar w/ the area is to talk to the guy in charge of getting you all settled for housing (lou). i myself live in the back bay and love the fact that i can walk to school in 7 minutes...esp on exam days. if you guys have any other questions bout tufts feel free to ask

Isn't that an area that is a little cheaper in the Back Bay/South End for Tufts students?

Yo - I'm going to be living on Marlborough Street (yeah BACK BAY!!)...how far a walk is that to the school? I think it's less than a mile - so I suppose I could run there in under 5 mins or so. maybe?