Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Tufts and Tulane and Jefferson

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by MF, May 1, 2002.

1. MF

MF Junior Member

I don't like doing this either, but I can't seem to find a major difference between these schools. Except the city they are in, does anyone know the differences between them?
    thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ValleyGal

ValleyGal Senior Member

Tufts has the best reputation, tulane has the cooler students. I would pick tufts in this one easily as it is extremely respected by residency directors

4. tulanestudent

tulanestudent Member

I'm a 3rd year at Tulane. I cannot emphasize how much I hear my fellow students say how happy they are they made this choice and how much more fun they have compared to friends at other med schools. First off, we are generally nice, not-so-competetive(for med students), and even the faculty encourages us to be well-rounded people. Faculty members actually participate in our music and art shows and some even in our intramural sports teams. Our Dean has a History of Medicine Wine and Cheese party at his own home every year!

And, location does mean something. In January when you are already bummed out about studying so hard, would you rather trudge through snow from your car every day, or wear a light jacket and sunglasses? Plus, there is just so much to do in New Orleans all the time. For example, last weekend, when we finished up one of our two-month clinical rotations and had a weekend off: Friday afternoon I played golf. Friday night, class party at a bar on Bourbon street. Saturday all day spent at Jazzfest, where you can see over 60 bands on 10 stages(EACH DAY of the 2-weekend/7 day festival), eat from a variety of food booths, including about 20 ways to eat crawfish, all for just $18 admission plus food and drink costs. Sunday went to the campus gym and lifted weights with friends, followed by a bike ride on the Lakefront of Lake Ponchartrain. I challenge any other non-New Orlenas med student to describe such a fun-filled weekend without leaving their med school's city. And this is NOT an unusual weekend for this city. It is truly important to feel you can relax when you have the time to during med school and if you go to a place that has so much social life opportunities built in, it's much easier. Plus your out-of-town friends are very likely to visit. Med school is hard work, enjoying your life when you can is majorly important to your mental well-being.

ALL MEDICAL SCHOOLS IN THE US ARE LOOKED UPON FAVORABLY BY RESIDENCY PROGRAMS. Look at any research article ever written on "what residency application committies look for in in applicant", and all will put med school attended low on the list of factors they use to decide between students. It's a fact. How you do at your school, on the boards, and espeially on clinical rotations and recommendation letters is far more important than some minute difference between the three very good schools you are choosing between.

So go where you think you'll be happiest. Did the students seem like people you would like to work alongside? Did the student seem generally happy? Were the faculty approachable and are they willing to listen to students suggestions for improving curriculum? Did the students have any sort of outside life or partake in whatever activities you enjoy doing in your free time? Ask yourself these questions and you will make the right choice for yourself.

5. MF

MF Junior Member

Thanks guys...
    Tulane student, I interviewed at Tulane a while ago, and for the life of me, I can't remember the computer access. could you refresh me on how much info for class is avail on the web for the first two years?
    thanks

6. tulanestudent

tulanestudent Member

Hmmm, I hope some 1st or 2nd year replies to this. I'm honestly not sure, b/c I know they've made tons of improvements on web course info since my 1st year. I know think there are a lot of histology, neuroscience, and pathology slides available to look at, although I remember pathology stopping that temporarily last year due to copywright laws on the pictures, so we had a huge list of photos from our text to look at instead. I think they've developed some quizzes for those courses too on the web. Plus there are some anatomy modules and practice tests for Pharmacology. I wouldn't say this is a highly computerized school, but they are working steadily on getting more on the web each year.

Most students use the noteservice, which is not on the web. Students pick up paper notesets daily, which are basically outlined transcripts of lectures if you miss lecture, or just like a backup from your own notes. I don't think they put many lecture handouts or lecture powerpoints available on the web, but the notesets are great and usually you can have a class-going friend grab and extra handout for you.

7. MF

MF Junior Member

Thanks.
    What do you know about the MD/MPH program? Is it a lot of extra work to study those classes during the year?

8. tulanestudent

tulanestudent Member

I'm not doing MD/MPH, but about 1/4 of my class is, and I think maybe more of the 2nd year class. They say the classes aren't nearly as hard compared to med school classes. Some require attendance, some don't. Most people seem to find the classes a refreshing diversity in their education, since they get to write papers and present projects, whereas medschool is all aobut multiple choice exams.

Starting the summer prior to med school and/or taking classes the summer between 1st or 2nd year is a good option to decrease your courseload during the year. However, many people complete it in 4 years without summers.

9. I'm a first year at Tufts and have talked about what I do and don't like about the school in other threads. I don't know much about the other schools so I can't really give a good comparison.

What I like about Tufts: Boston, good reputation of school, cool hospital, excellent opportunities for patient interaction during Interviewing class and Selectives, dual-degree programs (even though I dropped out of MD/MPH program during second semester), H/P/F grading system, very laid-back first semester with lots of free time (no anatomy), anatomy and immuno profs.

Don't like: gross dorm, stress of second semester (anatomy, physio, and histology all at once with other classes thrown in), ridiculously high tuition.

The students are OK, some are really cool and others are very juvenile and cliquish (apparently they think they are in high school). Any other questions, please feel free to PM me or post on here!

10. MF

MF Junior Member

Katie, why did you drop out of MD/MPH second semester?