Tufts c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just completed my financial aid packet and the FAFSA. Anybody who is applying for the self-sufficient status, how quickly did they send you the form to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I just completed my financial aid packet and the FAFSA. Anybody who is applying for the self-sufficient status, how quickly did they send you the form to apply?
I already turned all of it in. They replied within a few hours with the form. I had to get an appointment at the bank to get it notarized. So probably 2-3 days total to get it all handled.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, is anyone else having issues accessing their FAFSA? Every time I try to continue my application from undergrad, it takes my save key and then just freezes up. It seems like other people on the internet are having the same issue so I was curious if anyone here had encountered it and found a way around it.

Edit: nevermind I fixed it. Ignore me haha

Members don't see this ad :)
On the FAFSA form, question 47 - At the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.)?

Did you'll say yes?

Reactions: 1 user
On the FAFSA form, question 47 - At the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.)?

Did you'll say yes?
Yep! If I remember right I had to select it for my MS in the past, which was also weird cause that designation was also not on the list and I also wasn't officially accepted or enrolled when I applied for it lol

Yep! If I remember right I had to select it for my MS in the past, which was also weird cause that designation was also not on the list and I also wasn't officially accepted or enrolled when I applied for it lol
Found that weird as well, thank you!

Is it safe to say at this point if I haven’t heard anything it is likely a rejection?

Can someone call tufts and ask about if anymore interviews are going out. They arent answering my email.

I hate making phone calls, but it would sure be nice if someone else would 😂
Same . Soo I request someone to volunteer themselves please. Also im a horrible lier so ill start telling them how I emailed and haven't heard back lol im to honest.

🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️ I’m already planning my next year and asking the admissions office advice on how to improve my application. Since I’m a non-degree student I have last registration slots at BU so I have to email professors a month in advance to get the seat reservation process going.

what do you guys think:
- retake biochem, psychology, and/or systems phys
Or
- take zooarchaeology, histopathology, neuroendocrinology, or morphogenesis?

I only have room for 4.

@vetmedhead and @PippyPony I’d love your advice too since you are both already through this process.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️ I’m already planning my next year and asking the admissions office advice on how to improve my application. Since I’m a non-degree student I have last registration slots at BU so I have to email professors a month in advance to get the seat reservation process going.

what do you guys think:
Or

I only have room for 4.

@vetmedhead and @PippyPony I’d love your advice too since you are both already through this process.
Have you posted your stats anywhere? I'm not sure if you posted in the WAMC thread or anything like that, but seeing your stats/GPA may help them recommend classes:giggle:
(on a separate note I think zooarchaeology sounds so cool!!!)

Have you posted your stats anywhere? I'm not sure if you posted in the WAMC thread or anything like that, but seeing your stats/GPA may help them recommend classes:giggle:
Since ur a current student maybe you can ask for all us pathetic people whats going on lol #desperate

what do you guys think:
Or

I only have room for 4.

If it were me, I would probably retake the core courses like biochem to show them you can ace the foundational material, but this is definitely a question for admissions. They will be straight with you about which option would be best.

A neuroendocrine background would eventually help you in the Tufts vet curriculum (and I'm assuming other curriculums too) if you're looking for a "fun" elective, but neuro also kicks people's butts (including mine), so proceed with caution

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe ditch psych though, unless you're super excited about it? It's borderline social science instead of hard science, and it's just not that relevant to vet school compared to courses like biochem

what do you guys think:
Or

I only have room for 4.

no official advice since I'm not a student but zooarchaeology sounds like such a fascinating class!! 🤩

ps don't mind the edit lol I'm horrible on this forum with my phone 😅

I have also just started preparing for the rejection I am going to take Biochem again and I may retake a few other core science classes. Then for next year I will reapply to vet school, but also apply for some masters programs in things I'm interested in and see how that goes =) There is no reason to be super upset there were a lot of applicants to DVM programs this year and the pool was probably super competitive! So if they pick people that are better suited to be a doctor than I am right now I understand and will work on improving. I hope others are doing the same =) Best of luck friends

• Care
So if they pick people that are better suited to be a doctor than I am right now I understand and will work on improving. I hope others are doing the same =) Best of luck friends
This is a great approach, by the way. Every failure is a learning opportunity and sometimes something just isn't the right fit -- and not for the reasons you might think.

As an example, one of my close friends almost ended up in another class and recently she remarked that she thinks she dodged a bullet lol
(no offense to any fellow students in other class years, btw -- just would not have been the right spot for her)

It's not a race, even though it seems like it sometimes. And other life experiences can help you in vet school, for sure.

I've noticed on these forums people list all their projects, extracurricular etc. I didnt do that because I figured if its not animal related why would they care . Also because I figured if its something required for school/ grade it wasn't on my own terms or intentions.. was I wrong ? Should I still submit the extra information via email ? I saw we can send supplemental information at any time, or is it just to late now in January.

I've noticed on these forums people list all their projects, extracurricular etc. I didnt do that because I figured if its not animal related why would they care . Also because I figured if its something required for school/ grade it wasn't on my own terms or intentions.. was I wrong ? Should I still submit the extra information via email ? I saw we can send supplemental information at any time, or is it just to late now in January.
They want to accept well-rounded individuals, not necessarily those whose only involvement is in animals. Hence the essay prompt that was strictly non-animal related. It is absolutely worth it to note all achievements and projects and extracurriculars! I doubt schools would accept any more information this late, but it might be worth looking into.

They want to accept well-rounded individuals, not necessarily those whose only involvement is in animals. Hence the essay prompt that was strictly non-animal related. It is absolutely worth it to note all achievements and projects and extracurriculars! I doubt schools would accept any more information this late, but it might be worth looking into.
One of the reasons I didnt include the extra stuff is because a lot of my work is confidential. Unpatended which could be a problem if security is breached, and someone steals my research or prototype.

I haven't. I'm a little too scared to see the results, haha. I emailed all the schools I applied to last year on how to improve my application. Now I really only care about my application to Tufts as it's my IS, and logically the best school for me so I'm only emailing them this year on their advice. Maybe before September I'll post and see what people say.
Since ur a current student maybe you can ask for all us pathetic people whats going on lol #desperate
I'm impatient too, but keep the impatience out of their inbox. They have enough to do as it is without 1000 students emailing them that they want to hear. If you email them, make it worth their time.
If it were me, I would probably retake the core courses like biochem to show them you can ace the foundational material, but this is definitely a question for admissions. They will be straight with you about which option would be best.

A neuroendocrine background would eventually help you in the Tufts vet curriculum (and I'm assuming other curriculums too) if you're looking for a "fun" elective, but neuro also kicks people's butts (including mine), so proceed with caution
Ugh biochem. As important as I know it is, biochem was just awful in undergrad and I really hoped to skim by on that C+. Though now that I've retaken orgo I might do better.

I took endocrinology and neurobiology of motivated behaviors for my Masters so combining them with neuroendocrinology would be so great. I thoroughly loved those classes.

Last edited:
Hahaha unfortunately I don't think there's too much more I can do for y'all! I know the waiting is so tough but they're definitely not ignoring your emails, it was a 3 day weekend so they likely have a lot to catch up on. Do your best to relax and give them time!

I do also agree that zooarchaeology sounds dope
Single lecture per week, 4 credit class, offered this semester (start Monday). Maybe I should just do it anyway. I like animal skulls.

I haven't. I'm a little too scared to see the results, haha. I emailed all the schools I applied to last year on how to improve my application. Now I really only care about my application to Tufts as it's my IS, and logically the best school for me so I'm only emailing them this year on their advice. Maybe before September I'll post and see what people say.

Current student of Boston University not Tufts, and no besides-- I'm impatient too, but keep the impatience out of their inbox. They have enough to do as it is without 1000 students emailing them that they want to hear. If you email them, make it worth their time.

Ugh biochem. As important as I know it is, biochem was just awful in undergrad and I really hoped to skim by on that C+. Though now that I've retaken orgo I might do better.

I took endocrinology and neurobiology of motivated behaviors for my Masters so combining them with neuroendocrinology would be so great. I thoroughly loved those classes.
You can do it! What was your Masters in?

I barely squeaked by with my C+ in biochem for my pre-req and then it was one of my best classes first year of vet school. It's somehow different when it's important/relevant, and I think they do a good job with the vet course at Tufts.

Also, if you don't already do this, it's super helpful to actually write out the reactions to memorize the pathways. And make mnemonics. I came up with something about cats carrying fancy umbrellas for the urea cycle (that now I can't remember of course but it worked at the time lol)

The best advice I got from my advisor was to put everything because we as applicants can't really guess what's going to be important to the committee, 🤷🏻‍♀️ maybe that'll annoy some schools, I don't know.

I did include everything though; not just volunteering, but sports and hobbies too. my cgpa isn't terribly competitive so can't help but feel something from my list counted.

I also haven't the slightest idea how to calculate my gpa. Every school does it differently. Some include all the classes you've retaken, some don't. And I don't know if it's weighted for my masters versus my undergrad. I had a 2.73 in undergrad and a 3.5 for my masters so as far as I know I have a 2.8. But I really haven't the slightest idea.

That's also why I really like Tufts. 3.5 for last 45 with a major increasing trend after 6 years.

I barely squeaked by with my C+ in biochem for my pre-req and then it was one of my best classes first year of vet school. It's somehow different when it's important/relevant, and I think they do a good job with the vet course at Tufts.

Also, if you don't already do this, it's super helpful to actually write out the reactions to memorize the pathways. And make mnemonics. I came up with something about cats carrying fancy umbrellas for the urea cycle (that now I can't remember of course but it worked at the time lol)
Good tips. I'm taking biochem and orgo 2 this semester and I'm a little terrified.😕 I'm taking my shot as I know the prof and am working in his research lab this semester but yeah. Feels like a lot.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Good tips. I'm taking biochem and orgo 2 this semester and I'm a little terrified.😕 I'm taking my shot as I know the prof and am working in his research lab this semester but yeah. Feels like a lot.
For orgo, the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language books helped me a lot. Although orgo 2 is still just rough times, sorry 😕

Hahaha unfortunately I don't think there's too much more I can do for y'all! I know the waiting is so tough but they're definitely not ignoring your emails, it was a 3 day weekend so they likely have a lot to catch up on. Do your best to relax and give them time!
I may or may not have just sent them my resume and confidential research because I figured why not what can I lose 😅 and if it annoys them then oh well.. I didnt mention anything about interviews I was just like you heres some additional info about me...

You can do it! What was your Masters in?
Biology with a focus in Ecology, Behavior, and Evolution. Bragging moment: if you wanna see what I did, go here (publication).

Oh my goodness I had an entire bulletin board up with so many reactions for orgo 1. Didn't do the mnemonics though. I'll definitely do that this semester with orgo 2 (first time taking this one). Having a tablet now to write out reactions on slides and things will help me a ton, too. I went through 2 notebooks and ripped so many pages going back and forth.

I feel really stupid for not including all of this crap before. I didnt realize it was necessary. Idky . Dont ask me. My brain doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe it'll help. Idk. Cant hurt at this point I guess. I also think I may have emailed ford... cause I had that email and was like k send. Lol

Biology with a focus in Ecology, Behavior, and Evolution. Bragging moment: if you wanna see what I did, go here (publication).

Oh my goodness I had an entire bulletin board up with so many reactions for orgo 1. Didn't do the mnemonics though. I'll definitely do that this semester with orgo 2 (first time taking this one). Having a tablet now to write out reactions on slides and things will help me a ton, too. I went through 2 notebooks and ripped so many pages going back and forth.
That's awesome congrats!!! I did go check out your publication =) I am in the same boat as you with my undergrad GPA.

For orgo, the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language books helped me a lot. Although orgo 2 is still just rough times, sorry 😕
Yes!! I ordered that one and was flipping through it already. I also bough orgo 2 and biochem for dummies 😅 my only hope is that we already did diels-alder in orgo I soooo at least one chapter of that book won't be in the class?

My prof is considering doing only mc tests and quizzes with us being online again this semester so feels like it's going to be largely conceptual, and the same prof teaches both. But still. 😬

Mnemonics are gold. Someday a client is going to see me write out "DRAGON****" on their hypercalcemic pet's lab work, and that's just the way it's gonna be

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Yes!! I ordered that one and was flipping through it already. I also bough orgo 2 and biochem for dummies 😅 my only hope is that we already did diels-alder in orgo I soooo at least one chapter of that book won't be in the class?

My prof is considering doing only mc tests and quizzes with us being online again this semester so feels like it's going to be largely conceptual, and the same prof teaches both. But still. 😬
I might be in a minority here but I hate textbooks and I think they are unnecessary. Never bought a textbook in all my years in university lol

Screenshotted the publication to read tomorrow, seems really interesting 😁

lol ugh the orgo life though. I went through three 3-subject notebooks this semester 🥴 i can't afford a new tablet just yet but the bulletin board is a good idea!

lol ugh the orgo life though. I went through three 3-subject notebooks this semester 🥴 i can't afford a new tablet just yet but the bulletin board is a good idea!
Practicing with a friend always helped me understand, we would sit in the library writing on a white board

• Love
I might be in a minority here but I hate textbooks and I think they are unnecessary. Never bought a textbook in all my years in university lol
🤷🏻‍♀️ different learning styles. I'm super kinesthetic. My textbooks look like pieces of art. Highlighted in different colors, drawings in the margins, post-it notes and sticky tabs all over the pages. i also fill sketchbooks; like we are doing cardiology right now (tech school) so lots of new drawings coming up soon ☺️

the best part is this strategy allows me to enjoy the learning process by making it my own too.

I didn’t want to pay a ton of money to have it available for public use. If you don’t have a university to access it through let me know and I can send it to you. I think only the abstract is available online.
It’s easy reading. Behavioral not neuro or endocrinology. We didn’t have the funding to do the more complicated stuff. Elisa kits are expensive.

• Love
Practicing with a friend always helped me understand, we would sit in the library writing on a white board
I wish I could do that! 😭 libraries are my favorite but gotta keep my parents safe from covid. so no friends for me, at least this semester

🤷🏻‍♀️ different learning styles. I'm super kinesthetic. My textbooks look like pieces of art. Highlighted in different colors, drawings in the margins, post-it notes and sticky tabs all over the pages. i also fill sketchbooks; like we are doing cardiology right now (tech school) so lots of new drawings coming up soon ☺️

the best part is this strategy allows me to enjoy the learning process by making it my own too.
I have a tendency to rewrite all of my notes color coded with definitions and organized with index and TOC.

I didn’t want to pay a ton of money to have it available for public use. If you don’t have a university to access it through let me know and I can send it to you. I think only the abstract is available online.
It’s easy reading. Behavioral not neuro or endocrinology. We didn’t have the funding to do the more complicated stuff. Elisa kits are expensive.
thank you!! I will probably take you up on that - I'll double check that I can't get it tomorrow and let you know

Well they responded. I got rejected because they felt I didn't do anything since I graduated from college aside from work... they literally told me it wouldn't matter where I worked. And I tried to get more hours but I couldn't.

• Dislike
Well they responded. I got rejected because they felt I didn't do anything since I graduated from college aside from work... they literally told me it wouldn't matter where I worked. And I tried to get more hours but I couldn't.
Sorry girl! :(

• Care
I am so sorry to hear that. I feel like that’s a hard thing to avoid. I’m in the same boat where I’m applying 2 years after finishing undergrad and it’s hard to find relevant experiences while also working full time. Did they say when they would send out emails because I still haven’t gotten anything?

• Care