Tufts delayed decision folks--anyone hear anything yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFlower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, thought I'd check in to see if anyone has heard anything post-delayed decision letter from Tufts? I know that the committee is supposed to meet next week to make a lot of final decisions, and I'm feeling really nervous. Are a lot of people rejected at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard any new decisions from Tufts at all?? I interviewed sort of late --this early March, and applied for a dual-degree program. I was also told that decisions would come in May --I hope earlier May rather than post-May 15th!

Any info? Thanks and good luck!

I called Monday and was told that I'd find out around May 15th. How nice of them to wait until the last minute. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
PookieGirl said:
I called Monday and was told that I'd find out around May 15th. How nice of them to wait until the last minute. :smuggrin:

Thanks for the info...gosh, it really does suck for them to hold off for so long! I'm debating between other schools right now, but the dual-degree program I applied for at Tufts would top the other choices (from my perspective). It would save me a whole bunch of agonizing, and definitely would help other applicants who have yet to hear or are waitlisted at the schools I am holding spots at. Frustrating -- but enough complaining. Sorry to hijack the thread. Good luck to others!

Dang, I wanted to know where I stand with Tufts before I sent BU my non-refundable 500 clams. I suppose that's not much in the grand scheme of things but I could get that digital camera I've been lusting after instead...

Hey cammy, would you seriously choose tufts over bu?

anyhoo i wish they'd hurry up. i can't ****ing stand my job and the people there are such pricks.

del taco said:
Hey cammy, would you seriously choose tufts over bu?

anyhoo i wish they'd hurry up. i can't ****ing stand my job and the people there are such pricks.
Yes, I would. I feel I would fit in with the student body at Tufts better than I would at BU. Having done my masters at BU, the med students there harbor resentment which translates into biotchy people. Granted, there are exceptions to this and I would be perfectly content attending BU. But I figure Tufts has the same if not more to offer so why not start off on the best note possible.

I also feel like I would fit in well at Tufts...I just hope they feel the same. Part of me wants to feel optimistic, the other part is resigned to the fact that after this long, news can't be good. Well, a couple more weeks! The best of luck to everyone and hopefully I'll get to see all of you at Tufts in the fall... :oops:

Hey drflower I wouldn't worry too much about it being late. most of the accepted class comes out of the delayed decision cateogory. it's just depressing to know that there are like 500 people on that list. they seem to put anyone who interviews into the dd cateogory. i'd feel alot better if they said 99% of dd are accepted.

del taco said:
Hey drflower I wouldn't worry too much about it being late. most of the accepted class comes out of the delayed decision cateogory. it's just depressing to know that there are like 500 people on that list. they seem to put anyone who interviews into the dd cateogory. i'd feel alot better if they said 99% of dd are accepted.

Oh my goodness, 500 people! Aaargh...so do they really review all 500 of those people again before May 15th? THey did mention in the delayed decision letter that our application would be reviewed again. Yeah, that's not very encouraging. :( *sigh*

Well, I'm going to continue to keep my fingers, arms, legs, and toes crossed and hope for the best. Words really cannot express how much I love the school. All the best to everyone who holds Tufts close to their heart!

i can't imagine that they review 500 apps in a single meeting, but supposedly they meet once and review all of the applications from that interview block. Maybe they pre-filter some way.... anyway goodluck to everyone... i'm in the same pool as you guys!

Dr. Flower,
I'm curious to hear what it is that you love so much about Tufts. Its near the top of the list of schools that I will realistically go to and I would like to hear a positive opinion about it instead of the negatives about cost that I always hear about.

Good luck to everyone still hoping to get in.

jmbean50 said:
Dr. Flower,
I'm curious to hear what it is that you love so much about Tufts. Its near the top of the list of schools that I will realistically go to and I would like to hear a positive opinion about it instead of the negatives about cost that I always hear about.

Good luck to everyone still hoping to get in.

Hi jmbean50,

Yeah, I've heard a lot of negative comments about Tufts--but most of them surround the cost and quite frankly, I don't give a hoot about it. In the long run, if we're all doing something we love, it's an investment--and well worth the money. I'm very willing to give up quite a few financial liberties to go to what I think is one of the top institutions for both clinical training and research. Tufts has great teaching hospitals, great residency placement, and is in a great location (beautiful Boston!). On top of all that, the people there are wonderful--down to earth, friendly, and intelligent. Couldn't ask for anything more. :love: Of all the places I interviewed at, I felt that Tufts was truly the place for me--I felt very much at home, and excited to just dive in and work with everyone there. Their facilities are also quite nice.

Hope I didn't bore you with my blather! But hopefully I gave you a good idea why I love the place so much. Now it's just a matter of them returning the love, lol! The best of luck to you in all your endeavors...hopefully I see you there in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if we'll have the decisions by the 15th or will they make them by the 15th and then we have to wait a couple of days to get them in the mail?

i applied to tufts my first time around, and the letter they sent me that year was dated May 9th. I would assume they will be on a similar schedule this year.

This is a weird question, but does anyone know if there is a correlation with Tufts forgetting to send out financial aid packets to interviewees and them subsequently not getting accepted? I know a few people who had to request financial aid packets specifically whereas others just received them...

DrFlower said:
This is a weird question, but does anyone know if there is a correlation with Tufts forgetting to send out financial aid packets to interviewees and them subsequently not getting accepted? I know a few people who had to request financial aid packets specifically whereas others just received them...

I just interviewed at Tufts and everyone received a financial aid packet at the interview so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Also, for everyone who's wondering- the last adcom meeting supposedly is next tues and ms. chadwick said that if we don't hear anything by monday, may 9th to email her and she'll tell us the outcome over email. good luck!

Oops, I meant financial aid packets for fall applicants...some people received them and some didn't. I guess it was kind of a silly question, being that everyone in the spring received them at the interviews. Sorry about that. ;)

At any rate, good luck to everyone!

I'm about to graduate from Tufts, 4 years ago I interviewed in late January, was placed in the dd category (like most), got my WL letter on May 15-ish (comes in a big packet), and accepted from WL in mid-July. I've posted about this numerous times, there are things that I really like about Tufts; the facilities have improved a LOT since I first came here, pre-clinical teaching is solid, LOVE Boston (will miss terribly next year), clinical training at non-NEMC sites tends to be excellent (BWH/Faulkner, Lahey, Baystate). With the exception of some very lovely people however, the administration here at all levels is chock-full of rude, rude, unsupportive, and did I mention rude, people, and with a good # of BA/MD students coming in from Tufts and Brandeis undergrad, there is definitely some snobbery and arrogance in the air at times.

And yah, I know no one wants to think about money right now, but if you are a MA resident and get into Tufts and UMass, GO TO UMASS!! Yes, Worcester isn't the greatest city in the world, but the school's reputation is solid (creeping up on Tufts in research funding, and stellar reputation for primary care), and their residency placements are none to shabby. I unfortunately did not go to HS in MA, so I wasn't eligible to go there, but the UMass students I know are super happy and nice, great residents too (though as I'll be one in a few months, I may be just a wee bit biased). Ditto for just about any state school.. Hope you all hear good news soon..

thanks for the input! For those of us in the waiting game, rumor has it they are meeting today.... goodluck to everyone! send out some good vibes to beantown.

irlandesa said:
got my WL letter on May 15-ish (comes in a big packet)

That's disgusting! My respect for Tufts just went down a few notches... how mean to send WL letters in big packets! Ewwww

LOL, WL letters in big packets?! OMG, the suspense opening the letter will be horrible. Then again, if the letter comes in a small envelope...whew, that would be bad. Words cannot describe how terribly I want to get accepted at Tufts; this is the one thing I have been striving for my entire life, and the one thing I would also love to give my mother on Mother's Day. :)

Best of luck to everyone...I hope to goodness everyone hears good news!

speaking of mothers, I was living with Mom and Dad back in Baltimore when I was waiting to hear from TUSM, Mom opened that big envelope all excited while I was at work (shortly after Mother's Day), and read the magic words "I am writing to offer you... a position on our Waiting List." Ah, still smarts to this day!

VERY GOOD LUCK to all of you!

irlandesa said:
speaking of mothers, I was living with Mom and Dad back in Baltimore when I was waiting to hear from TUSM, Mom opened that big envelope all excited while I was at work (shortly after Mother's Day), and read the magic words "I am writing to offer you... a position on our Waiting List." Ah, still smarts to this day!

VERY GOOD LUCK to all of you!

But you were accepted, and now finished with medical school! Congratulations! :) Words cannot describe how nervous I am about their decision; I was trying to send them positive vibes all day today since I heard the adcom was meeting today, lol. I hope it works! Irlandesa, do you know about how many dd applicants are accpeted in May, and how many are put on the waitlist (and how big is the waitlist)? Thanks so much for your input.

Again, good luck to everyone!

not a thing yet my friends..... maybe by the end of the week???

i was looking at old threads about tufts in past years and it seems that they put a lot of people on the waitlist after the dd thing.

Yikes, any day now people! My heart is in my throat; heaven forbid the small envelope, because that can only mean one thing...

Does anyone know how long the waitlist is, and is a lot of people are taken off the waitlist? Is it also ranked?

I think they take a lot of people off their wait list. Not sure if it is ranked but i feel like they said it wasn't - that they review each of the files when a spot is open.

hope this helps!

does anyone know if their admissions committee is receptive to letters describing intent or interest?

I sent them a letter of intent/interest in March...I hope that it does help!!!

You folks should go back to the selected applicant's website they gave you in the interview.. They put up a pdf file of waitlist info. It says you could write a loi or send additional info if you want to. etc. etc.

DrFlower said:

I was under the impression that only accepted applicants recieve news as to what financial aid they will be getting. Not just at Tufts but all schools. Am I completely wrong here?

I think he just meant the financial aid application packet. They gave that to everyone at my interview day so that we could start filling out the correct forms in case we were admitted.

Any news yet anyone??

tomatillo said:
I think he just meant the financial aid application packet. They gave that to everyone at my interview day so that we could start filling out the correct forms in case we were admitted.

Any news yet anyone??

Yeah, that's what I meant. :) At any rate, no news yet...am getting very very anxious--I'm thinking we'll hear something probably tomorrow or Monday...

DrFlower said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. :) At any rate, no news yet...am getting very very anxious--I'm thinking we'll hear something probably tomorrow or Monday...

Do you really think so? Because I have to send BU 500 bucks by the 15th so I'm wondering if I should wait until Monday and then just send it by certified mail if Tufts doesn't throw me a bone...

cammy1313 said:
Do you really think so? Because I have to send BU 500 bucks by the 15th so I'm wondering if I should wait until Monday and then just send it by certified mail if Tufts doesn't throw me a bone...

Well, I'm hoping we do. :) My gut feeling says since they met on Tuesday, East coasters should hear something at least by the beginning of next week. But seriously, since your $500 is non-refundable, I would wait until at least the 11th and then send Express overnight/certified that day if you don't hear anything from Tufts. That should be enough time (2 days from CA to MA).

I will curse the mail service for not delivering on Sundays this weekend I think! Tufts would be a good Mother's Day present for my mom ;-)

has anyone called the admissions office to ask when the letters will be mailed out?

nope.... i might be able to call before 5 though....

So...anything yet? I'm about to go nuts waiting--I'm so sick of being in limbo I could vomit!

having been down this path....
my advice is to sit tight. Alot of the letters sent to delayed decision people tend to be wait list letters... so don't be surprised if you get this. That said, there tends to be alot of movement off the waitlist and i heard from tufts as late as the first week of June. So sit tight and don't be too anxious to find an apartment at your second choice. And for what it's worth, I love it here.

edit: read you were waitlisted. did you mean you hear as early as june?

If I am waitlisted after languishing on the delayed decision list for 7 months, I am going to be annoyed... the waiting is just too much! I wish Tufts wasn't so indecisive...

At this point, I just wanted to be accepted at Tufts--sooner rather than later, but if I'm waitlisted and accepted later (but not too too late) I'll still be very very happy.

emtji, did they let you know where you stood on the waitlist? Or does one go into the waitlist not knowing where they stand?

emtji said:
having been down this path....
my advice is to sit tight. Alot of the letters sent to delayed decision people tend to be wait list letters... so don't be surprised if you get this. That said, there tends to be alot of movement off the waitlist and i heard from tufts as late as the first week of June. So sit tight and don't be too anxious to find an apartment at your second choice. And for what it's worth, I love it here.

UGH!!! That does NOT sound promising... If I get waitlisted there, then I'm still in total limbo (that would be three waitlists, no acceptances). And that would really stink. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Not in the mail today for me *sigh*