Tufts dental requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhitb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i am really interested in applying to Tufts dental school, i did a little research on them and they require one semester of biochem. I can't fit this course in my schedule so i just wanted to know if they accept students who have never taken biochem and don't plan on to before enrolling.
P.S. and i really don't want to take biochem anyways since i did horribly in orgo so i don't want another grade that would hurt my gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey i am really interested in applying to Tufts dental school, i did a little research on them and they require one semester of biochem. I can't fit this course in my schedule so i just wanted to know if they accept students who have never taken biochem and don't plan on to before enrolling.
P.S. and i really don't want to take biochem anyways since i did horribly in orgo so i don't want another grade that would hurt my gpa.

No Biochem = No Tufts. If you really want to apply to Tufts, I would fit in biochem somehow with your schedule and remember, all your pre-req needs to be from a 4 year university/college. If not, I would not bother applying to Tufts and waste AADSAS, DAT, and secondary fee. Good luck.

If its a requirement, then its a required. You can always call the school and find out if there are any exceptions...

Members don't see this ad :)
About the whole biochem thing, it is beneficial for you to take this class, you will have to take it in dental school and at many schools this is a pre-req so without this class you limit your dental school options even more. Second, about the TUFTS comment and community college classes, this is not true, I have had two friends who took half of their pre reqs at community colleges and recieved acceptance into TUFTS, I know you probably have a lot of pride in your school but dont scare or worry people more than they already are. Not trying to be rude, just stating my opinion.

thanks for the replies, oh and i've only taken one course at a CC and its was gen chem II, hope it's not that big of a deal.

thanks for the replies, oh and i've only taken one course at a CC and its was gen chem II, hope it's not that big of a deal.

On paper, Tufts does not accept CC Pre-Reqs. That may mean you need to take another Chem class at a 4-year institution. You'd need to call up Tufts to be sure.

Don't plan on taking it? Don't plan on coming to Tufts. They are called Pre-Reqs for a reason. "Req" stands for "Required"...

Though that may be a moot point, you haven't been accepted there. Let's say you get accepted to Tufts by January 1st. Well, than you'd need to squeeze BioChem (at a 4-year institution) into your Spring or Summer schedule. If by Dec. 1st you get rejected from Tufts, good news! you don't need to take Biochem! Or if you haven't heard from Tufts by Dec. 1st but you have an acceptance somewhere else, than you can decide whether you want to take Biochem or not, if you are still hoping for a Tufts acceptance or you are content on the acceptance you got.

P.S. most people would say that Biochem is not nearly as hard as Orgo ;)
And if you're scared of Biochem, wait till you experience some of the classes you'll have in dental school...