Tufts dental vs. Nyu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pauly11235

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got taken off the alternate list from NYU and I was accepted to Tufts about 2 months ago. I have no idea as to what school to attend.

Differences:
1) I have a 5 year relationship in NY
2) All my friends and relatives are in NY

3) Tufts is slightly cheaper (not by much)
4) Tufts has a much smaller class size than NYU
5) Both have strong clinical programs
6) Boston is a wonderful city as well

7) I still want to live in NY after dental school and my gf cannot go with me.

I would really appreciate some words of advice!

Thank you veryyyy much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I just got taken off the alternate list from NYU and I was accepted to Tufts about 2 months ago. I have no idea as to what school to attend.

Differences:

Thank you veryyyy much!

I think you are set on going to NYU.

First the tuition difference is roughly 30K. I would go to the cheaper school if the difference is greater than 50K, but that is not the case here even if you paid the deposit to Tufts.

Second, both schools have a relatively large class size (230 vs. 175) so I wouldn't put that into the factor either. Although I have heard the class size explodes in D2 at NYU, you need to be self-motivated to do well in either school so I wouldn't worry about it.

Going to NYU will allow you to be close to your gf/family/relative, which I assume is your biggest priority right now. In addition, it will help you with networking and residency opportunity if you chose to stay in New York, so good luck in NYU!:)

I say go to NYU if family and friends are very important to you. While Tufts is a great school, I think its always great to have loved ones around despite the cost difference. I also think your gf plays a major role in your decision. I also think that while the class size is different, they're both big class sizes so I say it negates that factor. Boston is a great city, but NYC is the Big Apple. So I guess I have to agree with pacific2013 Congrats on NYU and you attending there. Good luck with the decision making, keep us informed with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go to NYU. I think you would be much happier there with your girlfriend and family around. I'm crossing my fingers that I get off the wait list too. Good luck with your decision! Hope to see you in the fall!

Hey pauly11235-
I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what your stats are. I'm just wondering if my stats are in the same range as yours. I'm still hoping to get in. Thanks

I'm pretty sure Pauly said in another thread that he'll be choosing Tufts over NYU

defnitly NYU..i think if you went to Tufts and were away from your gf, it would be very hard on you..so if you have the option to stay close to her and your family... why not take it? Esp since they are both great schools. and no other city compares to the Big Apple

Hey pauly11235-
I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what your stats are. I'm just wondering if my stats are in the same range as yours. I'm still hoping to get in. Thanks

Hey DAT Breakdown was:

AA: 21
TS: 22
PAT: 23

cGPA: 3.48
Sgpa: 3.2

and Yes I thought it all over and I think I can manage surviving at Tufts and actually going to a great school.

Hey DAT Breakdown was:

AA: 21
TS: 22
PAT: 23

cGPA: 3.48
Sgpa: 3.2

and Yes I thought it all over and I think I can manage surviving at Tufts and actually going to a great school.

Thank you for the break down. I appreciate it. Good luck with school!

Pauly, I am curious if you are happy with your decision to go to Tufts over NYU, I ask because I am in a similar situation. I go back and forth by the hour, if you have any advice towards making a decision I would really appreciate it.

Differences:

Thank you veryyyy much!

How did you get accepted two months ago??? That's impressive.

hahaha i was gonna say the same thing... how the heck did he/she get accepted 2 months ago? lol it looks like he ended up going to tufts

come on noobs get it together :)