Tufts experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waiting

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm back from an excursion to Boston over the weekend. I interviewed at Tufts on Thursday and must say that I was very, very impressed. First, the facilities are beautiful and state of the art. They have a new dental simulation clinic which is amazing, one of the few schools in the country that has it. It's a huge room with about a hundred? stations, each with a mannequin-type patient "head" and mouth, individual suction, water, and overhead light, and flat-screeen monitor that displays the instructor....hard to describe. While the student size is large (150) they do very well on the boards. The size also leads to a great deal of diversity and student groups, which are all very active. The clinical facilities and training are very extensive and, again, brand new.

The admissions officer (Wendy) and student dean (Mark) were both super friendly and engaging. Now for the big DOWN side....they spent the first hour or so talking about cost.....$61,000 for the first year!! (including everything) They have a 4K merit scholarship which about 20 incoming students get, but it's a drop in the bucket when you consider the total cost. Like I said though, they definitely do redirect the money back into the school as evidenced by the facilities. I also asked about what percentage of graduates fail to repay their loans....it's about 1-2%, so very low. The location of the school is also pretty good and they have a dorm for about 50-60 of the incoming students.

They said they interview about 550 students each yr. and accept 80-85% of those, so once you get to the interview stage your chances of admission are pretty high. The interview itself was very laid back (just one, 1-on-1 interview). The interviewer knew nothing about me except my AADSAS essay (didn't know my school, grades, etc.).

Well, hope that info helps for anyone else going up to Tufts soon. They've only interviewed 20 people so far so it's still VERY early in their process.....

I just got more interviews from Michigan, Louisville, and Pacific over the weekend...anyone gone/know about these schools?

good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting,

I interviewed at Louisville and it was very laid back. The school is very impressive, technologically advanced, and reasonably-priced. Plus, they do really well on the boards (#4 on Pt.II and #11 on Pt. I last year). 2 one-on-one interviews (30 minutes each) and then an exit interivew. No unusual questions. They knew about me (grades, etc.), but I think it was because I did my undergrad there. They did not seem to know anything about the non-UofL interviewees. Hope this helps. By the way, did I read that you were interviewing at UPenn on Oct. 5th? If so, I would love to hear any feedback from that interview. I will be there on Oct. 12.

Thanks waiting. I'll probably be at Tufts next week. Glad to hear it went smoothly. Congrats.
Margaret

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the scoop on Louisville eschou...sounds good. The orthodontist I volunteered w/graduated from there and loved it, which was why I applied. I'll be there 10/8th. I'll let you know how penn goes...

Ms. Purtell...Good luck at Tufts, I'm sure you'll do fine. just try not to faint during the presentation on cost like I almost did!

LOL!

Hey, man. I'm Tufts D'05. You're probably one of those folks who trekked through the pre-clin while we were taking a break. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the interview and Tour. Mark Gonthier really does a good job on those! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line!

I've only been here for about a month and a half, but the work load is really hitting. :p

Take care,
Mo.

[email protected]

do any of you guys mind posting some stats?

personal stats or dental school stats? personal: gpa 3.72, dat 25/20, ht 5'11.... ;)