Tufts (IS) vs Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CombinedDriving67

Tufts c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I have time and I’m discussing the options on my own but I always appreciate insight from others. I got accepted to Tufts, my in-state, and Missouri, which I am very grateful for, but now I have to decide.

Missouri is almost guaranteed to be cheaper tuition-wise. I didn’t mind the school, it had a community feel, and I’m certainly not opposed to going there. I just didn’t love it. It is also very far and the cost of moving there and then flying home is something to consider.

Tufts was my dream school. I loved it. It’s close to home. It’s close to all my family, which honestly wasn’t always important to me. But recently I had a horrific family tragedy and it really changed my viewpoints on staying close to family and friends. I also will likely get to keep my current job over the summers. But, of course, my in-state is actually more expensive.

I’m interested in small animal or equine so I’m sure both schools will provide me with a great education in either. My heart is saying Tufts, my head is trying to be logical. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

How much different is the cost?

I will buck the trend around here of saying "go to the cheapest school" and say that mental health and happiness is worth some $$$ -- but only if the cost difference is not huge.

Other things to think about:

- it's not always easy to see family during vet school even when you live close by, because vet school will suck away your free time

- Be sure to factor in travel expenses to Missouri when calculating expenses

yeah, I was lucky that I moved to get instate to be closer to family with a school that had cheap IS tuition. I was always glad to be able to get a visit in here and there. It is definitely a plus. You'll have to feel that one out I'm afraid for advice. Sucks Tufts is expensive for IS for sure.