Tufts - looking for place to live

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alanwu008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a D'15 student going to Tufts. I am not familiar with Boston area and I need some suggestions on where to live that's approximately 30 minutes commute to school. My budget is around $1000 per month.

Anyone have an empty room to rent out or need a roommate?

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts is right on the Red, Green, Orange, Silver subway line. You have a lot of choices.

Hey Alan,
I'm from boston and a tufts d'15 also. Allston/Brighton offer the most affordable deals for apartments. Just make sure that you're walking distance to the T because not all parts of A/B are T-accessible. The closer you move into the city the smaller the room/more expensive your rent will be. If the apartment is within a mile from Tufts, you're going to be paying 1000+ for a studio whereas if you move further out, you can get an actual 1BR for the same/lesser price. Avoid Dorchester, Roxbury, & Mattapan (they're dangerous). Quincy also offers good deals but is a little further away.
Use a broker. You don't pay them anything to show you places.
Hope it helps.

PS, our loans for living cover rent up to 1500/mo plus food/utilities money so altogether around 2000/mo.