1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Tufts match list

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Hlam84, May 11, 2007.

1. Hlam84

Hlam84 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was looking at the tufts match list and comparing it to other schools and i notice that at tufts there is a lot of match for Family Practice. I have heard from friend that this field is a dying field. So does this mean students at tufts arent matching where they would like. Any opinions would be helpful. thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think that your logic is flawed on many fronts, my friend. First of all, 44% of our graduates match into primary care, which is 2% higher than Harvard, and less than Wake, Brown, UWashington, and other schools. Second of all, I don't know if you should call family practice a dying field based on the observations of one friend, particularly when there is such a shortage of family practitioners-- that kind of logic just doesn't make sense to me. But then again, what do I know.

4. cleansocks

cleansocks Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Incorrect. Tufts matches very well. It is not difficult for a school of Tufts' reputation to match their students into specialties like derm, radio, ortho, let alone "general" specialties like internal medicine. Additionally, a decent number of the matches are to strong boston and california programs (Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, etc).

On a side note: Many schools strive to convince their students to go into family medicine because it is a necessary but inadequately compensated field. In a way it is a triumph for a school to be able to accept and train doctors dedicated enough to enter into a much needed area without receiving the same reward as those who enter specialties.