Tufts match list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hlam84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the tufts match list and comparing it to other schools and i notice that at tufts there is a lot of match for Family Practice. I have heard from friend that this field is a dying field. So does this mean students at tufts arent matching where they would like. Any opinions would be helpful. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at the tufts match list and comparing it to other schools and i notice that at tufts there is a lot of match for Family Practice. I have heard from friend that this field is a dying field. So does this mean students at tufts arent matching where they would like. Any opinions would be helpful. thanks in advance

I think that your logic is flawed on many fronts, my friend. First of all, 44% of our graduates match into primary care, which is 2% higher than Harvard, and less than Wake, Brown, UWashington, and other schools. Second of all, I don't know if you should call family practice a dying field based on the observations of one friend, particularly when there is such a shortage of family practitioners-- that kind of logic just doesn't make sense to me. But then again, what do I know.

Incorrect. Tufts matches very well. It is not difficult for a school of Tufts' reputation to match their students into specialties like derm, radio, ortho, let alone "general" specialties like internal medicine. Additionally, a decent number of the matches are to strong boston and california programs (Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, etc).

On a side note: Many schools strive to convince their students to go into family medicine because it is a necessary but inadequately compensated field. In a way it is a triumph for a school to be able to accept and train doctors dedicated enough to enter into a much needed area without receiving the same reward as those who enter specialties.