Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

It looks like I'll have to re-apply to med school in 2011. My GPA is perfect and MCAT is 36. Unfortunately, having a bachelor's degree from a foreign country turned out to be a big issue. I am trying to deside whether to do special master's program at Tufts, at Georgetown, or MPH at GW. Any advice?

WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
Hub City
Status
Medical Student
:eek: That super blows!!!

If I were you do this contact all the med school you wish to apply to and ask if they will accept your degree, if they will not ask them what they recommend you do to make up for it.
If you don't get good feed back that way, just pick an undergrad institution you like and get a good old BA degree here. See if they can work some thing out with you and maybe some of the stuff you did will transfer.
If you don't like that apply to the medical schools in the country where you got your degree.
So pick up that phone and start calling.

MeatTornado

On Sabbatical
10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
my initial reaction is none of the above....gonna need a bit more information to help you though. are you a US citizen? if so why did you go abroad (and where)? if not you might want to consider another career or find schools that are willing to accept you ...it'll be tough finding any MD schools that will but look at DO schools too

Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
my initial reaction is none of the above....gonna need a bit more information to help you though. are you a US citizen? if so why did you go abroad (and where)? if not you might want to consider another career or find schools that are willing to accept you ...it'll be tough finding any MD schools that will but look at DO schools too
Thought I should probably provide more info. I am not a citizen but a permanent resident, which is the same for medical school admission purposes. I got master's from Russia (it's actually equivalent to master's in the US) but I did all pre-requisites (60 credits in total) in the US. I'm old (35) so I don't want to do another bachelor's degree. I had 3 interviews at good US schools and got waitlisted but I feel I would have a lot more chances if I had a degree from the US.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
if you got interviews, just reapply. try to improve your EC's and hope for the best.