Tufts MBS vs. NYMC Accelerated BMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ian1223

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now Im having an even tougher time deciding. Which will give me the greatest likelihood of getting in to American MD given I work as hard as I am capable?

Here are the differences:

Tufts - One year or Two years for MPH
NYMC - One year

Both are almost identical to medical school curricula

Tufts Class Size - 70
NYMC Class size - 25
Is small class size a reason to pick one over the other? Seemingly yes because there is less people to compete against in the program and for allocated spots in the MD program after completion.

NYMC is starting its 1st year
Tufts is starting its 2nd year

Tufts is definitely a more prestigious school but I am afraid that may work against me because I will be competing against more gifted applicants and medical students.

My number one goal is to get into any American MD school. Which school will better help me to achieve that goal?

Post your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing as how you aren't competing against your SMP fellows directly...class size shouldn't be an issue in that regards. I think the pro is that a smaller class size will allow for more personalized attention from the administrators.

I don't know what the ranking of these schools are, but I think the curriculum and the professors have more to do with how hard medical school will be than your fellow students, considering that the majority of med students are hard working and very intelligent. I can't see how the quality of matriculant will differ dramatically between either school.

If I remember, the main reason you were considering Tufts is that your SO was in Boston.

I am also undecided in my choice of smp, so you and me, we are in the same boat.

Tufts is definitely a more prestigious school but I am afraid that may work against me because I will be competing against more gifted applicants and medical students.
I have a similar fear, but I'm not concerned about the program itself. The people accepted to the Tufts MBS seem to be about on par with those accepted to any other notable SMP program. What I worry about is competing for positions in the medical school the year after the program. I guess performing well in Tufts's medical school will look fantastic when applying to other places, but I feel like getting into Tufts when I couldn't get in anywhere else the first time around will be difficult no matter how well I do in the MBS program.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember, the main reason you were considering Tufts is that your SO was in Boston.

Yes thats true but Ive been trying to make the decision independently of her. Besides we can take the train to see each other so it wont be so bad.

My parents have me convinced that an SMP from NYMC will be comparatively less challenging than the MBS program at Tufts and therefore will ultimately lead to a greater likelihood of success in gaining American MD admission. As I mentioned before, the class size at NYMC is also smaller (25 vs 70) so if both places only take their top 10, then it is more likely for me to be in that top 10 coming from NYMC.

Are these lines of reasoning valid or is it more valid that the class size doesnt matter but only my GPA after I finish?

Does anyone know of any advantages I could take now that the summer is starting that would give me a leg up for when the school year starts?

Seeing as how you aren't competing against your SMP fellows directly...class size shouldn't be an issue in that regards. I think the pro is that a smaller class size will allow for more personalized attention from the administrators.

I don't know what the ranking of these schools are, but I think the curriculum and the professors have more to do with how hard medical school will be than your fellow students, considering that the majority of med students are hard working and very intelligent. I can't see how the quality of matriculant will differ dramatically between either school.

I am also undecided in my choice of smp, so you and me, we are in the same boat.

You ARE competing with other SMP students for spots in the next year's class. Since you are graded based on the medical student curve, your grades won't be influenced by the other SMP students, but how you ultimately perform in respect to them will undoubtedly have an effect: especially in a class of 70. There's no way the school intends to take 70 SMP students into their next year's class, and obviously the best of the students will garner the better results in the admissions process.