Tufts Neurology and boston neurology residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how the neurology program at Tufts was doing, and how it is generally perceived in terms of reputation (perhaps compared to a program on par with Albert Einstein Montefiore?). I noticed that the residency is about half international residents, but they have generally gotten very strong fellowships over the past years.

I have also heard of there being some financial issues with the Tufts Medical Center, and rumors that Boston Medical Center had interests in investing in their direction. I was wondering if these hold any credence and if it's anything a resident should be worried about.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I highly doubt BMC is in the financial position to invest externally. They have a very wide outpatient referral system, however, and have been doubling down on "minute clinic" type places as well. So they may be eating Tufts' lunch, but I don't think they have the capital to invest outside of their own infrastructure. I could be wrong, but BMC was on the brink of bankruptcy a couple of years ago. Tufts has a crumbling relationship with St. Elizabeth's, where Neurology used to be a large part of their program and was chaired by Allan Ropper, but he's now at the Brigham with his old buddy Marty Samuels. Tufts isn't a bad neurology program, and in the city of Boston you can do away rotations in whatever you want with famous people -- that might have an impact on how well they tend to match into fellowships. I'm old friends with their program director, and she is a fantastic influence on the residency since her arrival a few years ago. Don't know much about Einstein, so can't directly compare.

I know that you might be biased, but (being as objective as possible) how does Tufts Neurology compare with BMC at the moment?

I don't particularly think I'm biased towards either program. Both are fully adequate from a training perspective. I think I'd give the edge to BMC, with the qualifier that several factors could swing the potential benefit in either direction. I certainly don't think either program would be a "wrong" choice.