Tufts or Columbia, please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babakaram02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the board. I 've been recently accepted to Tufts and columbia and have no Idea which one to pick. They both have lots of goods. Can I get your input on where you would go and why?

Thanks
Chris

Members don't see this ad.

It depends what you want. Do you want to be a clinician or a researcher. You should know enough about the 2 curriculums to make a decision. Also cost should be a big factor.

I want to be a clinitian and leave the door open for a possible specialty down the road. I know columbia is known as a specialty school but you can also place well out of tufts if you rank fairly high. the cost difference is about 8Gs/year so 200 vs 230 debt doesn't make a world of difference, I'm screwed either way!!

I was looking for some inside info on their curric, reputation, general feel of the school, nature of students (don't like cut-throat competition), people who are fun to be around,.....

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends what kind of a school you want. I'm obviously biased towards Tufts since I chose it. Are you looking for a clinical school or a science/medical school? If you're looking for a clinical school, go to Tufts. If you're looking for a more medically oriented curriculum, go to Columbia.

I was also accepted at both Tufts and Columbia and I chose Tufts because I wanted to go to a clinical school. For example, we're taking Operative right now in 1st year. At Columbia, you don't do it until 2nd year. Also, the students here seemed a bit happier-I remember many Columbia students complaining about all the hoops they had to jump through. Not that it isn't tough here too.

I have to strongly disagree with one statement that someone at Columbia made. I remember she did our tour and said, "OK, the cat's out of the bag. Anybody can drill-a 13-year-old with some manual dexterity can drill. Here, we teach you to be a doctor." She was doing that to explain why Columbia emphasizes science so strongly. After months of Operative, I must disagree-drilling is hard!!!!

Hope that helped, Mike

Chris,
I was just wondering if you'd been accepted to Columbia yet and if so how long after you interviewed did you get a response? I am still waiting on them and am getting a little worried. I would really appreciate your info. Thanks.