1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Tufts or Columbia, please help!!

Discussion in 'Dental' started by babakaram02, Feb 8, 2002.

1. babakaram02

babakaram02 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

I'm new to the board. I 've been recently accepted to Tufts and columbia and have no Idea which one to pick. They both have lots of goods. Can I get your input on where you would go and why?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It depends what you want. Do you want to be a clinician or a researcher. You should know enough about the 2 curriculums to make a decision. Also cost should be a big factor.

4. babakaram02

babakaram02 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I want to be a clinitian and leave the door open for a possible specialty down the road. I know columbia is known as a specialty school but you can also place well out of tufts if you rank fairly high. the cost difference is about 8Gs/year so 200 vs 230 debt doesn't make a world of difference, I'm screwed either way!!

I was looking for some inside info on their curric, reputation, general feel of the school, nature of students (don't like cut-throat competition), people who are fun to be around,.....

5. mike05tusdm

mike05tusdm Member
    7+ Year Member

It really depends what kind of a school you want. I'm obviously biased towards Tufts since I chose it. Are you looking for a clinical school or a science/medical school? If you're looking for a clinical school, go to Tufts. If you're looking for a more medically oriented curriculum, go to Columbia.

I was also accepted at both Tufts and Columbia and I chose Tufts because I wanted to go to a clinical school. For example, we're taking Operative right now in 1st year. At Columbia, you don't do it until 2nd year. Also, the students here seemed a bit happier-I remember many Columbia students complaining about all the hoops they had to jump through. Not that it isn't tough here too.

I have to strongly disagree with one statement that someone at Columbia made. I remember she did our tour and said, "OK, the cat's out of the bag. Anybody can drill-a 13-year-old with some manual dexterity can drill. Here, we teach you to be a doctor." She was doing that to explain why Columbia emphasizes science so strongly. After months of Operative, I must disagree-drilling is hard!!!!

Hope that helped, Mike

6. Vandymac

Vandymac Member
    10+ Year Member

Chris,
    I was just wondering if you'd been accepted to Columbia yet and if so how long after you interviewed did you get a response? I am still waiting on them and am getting a little worried. I would really appreciate your info. Thanks.