Tufts Or Maryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmejimmy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY GUYS, WHICH ONE DO YOU THINK IS BETTER? :scared: i HAD AN INTERVIEW AT MARYLAND THIS WEEK. AND I HAVE AN INTERVIEW AT TUFTS NEXT WEEK. SOOOO, IF I CAN GET IN, WHICH ONE IS BETTER DO YOU THINK?:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

TUFTS HANDSDOWN....i HEARD THAT EVERYONE THERE IS REALLY COOL AND THEY ALL WRITE IN BIG LETTERS> Sweeeeeeeeeeettttt

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts? Really? I ALWAYS HEARD THAT UMD WAS TOP SHELF. Sorry for the big type. Apparently you are only cool if you type BIG.

I didn't apply to tufts but MARYLAND has amazing facilities and seemed like a great school.

HEY GUYS, WHICH ONE DO YOU THINK IS BETTER? :scared: i HAD AN INTERVIEW AT MARYLAND THIS WEEK. AND I HAVE AN INTERVIEW AT TUFTS NEXT WEEK. SOOOO, IF I CAN GET IN, WHICH ONE IS BETTER DO YOU THINK?:idea:

I have friends at both, whom I have visited but know nothing about the facilities. However, one friend is stunningly brilliant and was an awesome student in undergrad and is very friendly. He's at UMd. The other friend was and is a severe alcoholic and crammed/cheated his way into dental school. He's at Tufts.

Glean what you will from that.

trust me, tufts. . .

Maryland is an awesome school. I choose it over Tufts anyday.

jb!:)

Applied to both, got interviewed at both, accepted at both, attending Tufts next year. Maryland's facilities are top notch and my best friend is a first year there, and I qualified for Maryland residency, but I decided to attend Tufts because I did my undergrad up in Boston and love the area. That, and I don't like Baltimore as a city to live in or even to travel to every day. Finally, I think Tufts has a more clinical focus than Maryland does, from the impressions I got from visiting each school, and that's what I'm about.

Members don't see this ad :)
your answer is easy

TUFTS 100%

wow, tufts over maryland How was the interview at Tufts, guys?

I thinkn the people who are putting tufts are pulling your chain. md is so nice.

I was faced with the same choice, I chose Maryland.

i heard from melissa that the class is full...so if you decide on tufts (those that got an acceptance and still deciding), how is it that there'll be a spot for you? I'm just curious about how this works...:confused:

bringing this thread back as ive been accepted to Tufts ... should I attend my Maryland interview this week???

I honestly think you should go to the cheaper school. If someone is paying for your tuition, go the school in the city you like better.

Maryland! (Because my orthodontist did his DDS there, and speaks highly of it)

Maryland without a question. Especially as the tuiton there is just 18k a year. I was offered interviews to both after Dec. 1went to Maryland and got accepted there and didnt even bother going to the Tufts interview. Its not that great a school and their tuition is rediculous.

Last edited:
I chose Tufts because the school is about an hour away from home, I love Boston and its sports teams, the staff was great, I have a lot of friends already there that love it there, a few Dentists I shadowed with graduated from there, etc. Tuition is obviously up there but it is what it is. If you are struggling financially go to the cheaper school. I didn't get an interview at UMB so I don't know.

Maryland without a question. Especially as the tuiton there is just 18k a year. I was offered interviews to both after Dec. 1went to Maryland and got accepted there and didnt even bother going to the Tufts interview. Its not that great a school and their tuition is rediculous.

:eek: I'm jealous.

bringing this thread back as ive been accepted to Tufts ... should I attend my Maryland interview this week???

of course. check out both to make the right decision for yourself.

Yeah, if you're a resident.. it is a state school after all..

UMD Resident tuition, fees, and living expenses - $200,000
UMD Non-Resident tuition, fees, living expenses - $297,000

Tufts tuition, fees, and living expenses - $327,000
(so divided up, $7,500 more per year to live in Boston vs Baltimore.. hmm..)

If you're in-state at Maryland, it's prob the better choice. If not, I think it's worth $7,500 a year to live in a much more enjoyable city.

Hey klutz, why wouldn't Tufts be considered a great school? Have you been to Boston or even checked out the schools over there. You have to be very shallow minded to slight a school based on how much it costs to go there. You have to experience it for yourself before passing judgment on a particular school.
Anyways, folks, you should not let tuition be a hindrance for whatever decision of going to a dental school because you are going to get a great education at any 57 or however many schools there are in the US. If you can get the cheaper tuition that is great (go there), but you also ask yourself will you be comfortable living there, can you develop good relationships with classmates, and are there mentors within the city who can provide guidance while you are in school. There are the few of the many variables that must be taken into consideration besides cost.

Hey klutz, why wouldn't Tufts be considered a great school? Have you been to Boston or even checked out the schools over there. You have to be very shallow minded to slight a school based on how much it costs to go there. You have to experience it for yourself before passing judgment on a particular school.
Anyways, folks, you should not let tuition be a hindrance for whatever decision of going to a dental school because you are going to get a great education at any 57 or however many schools there are in the US. If you can get the cheaper tuition that is great (go there), but you also ask yourself will you be comfortable living there, can you develop good relationships with classmates, and are there mentors within the city who can provide guidance while you are in school. There are the few of the many variables that must be taken into consideration besides cost.

So, you can get a good dental education at any school. Why would you want to pay more? You're contradicting yourself.

just thought i would post this in response to your "shady" comment. Crime which might be an indicator of "shady". WOW ... I brought this post back for serious comparisons of the schools ... possibly from student who have interviewed at both schools.

wow, this thread really isn't very helpful...:(

can anyone contribute in a constructive manner?? thanks

Can anyone add? I want to know if it's worth going to Maryland for an interview. I know people will say to go but I've just had it with this application cycle. But if there is a significant up over Tufts, then I will go down (plus there is no guarantee I'd get in with my stats)...

It seems like a lot of people are waiting on slots at Maryland:laugh:. Go to TUFTS! I love how people pull to the opposite school they are waiting on.

I have friends at both, whom I have visited but know nothing about the facilities. However, one friend is stunningly brilliant and was an awesome student in undergrad and is very friendly. He's at UMd. The other friend was and is a severe alcoholic and crammed/cheated his way into dental school. He's at Tufts.

Glean what you will from that.

odds are the drunk is alot more fun to hang out with...

Hey,
i was faced with the same decision a couple days ago and I chose Tufts. I am an out of state resident for maryland and the difference in tuition for out of state versus the tufts tuition is negligible. The difference is definitely worth living in an AMAZING city and getting just as great clinical experience. Go to Tufts. You will not regret it... Baltimore is reallyyy sketchy. I know an ortho and a pedo that both graduated from tufts and the both LOVED it and say to go there.

hope that helps!

Tufts is a really good school and the students there seem happy. Just ask yourself what do you really want and go to the school that best fulfills your wishes.

Hey,
i was faced with the same decision a couple days ago and I chose Tufts. I am an out of state resident for maryland and the difference in tuition for out of state versus the tufts tuition is negligible. The difference is definitely worth living in an AMAZING city and getting just as great clinical experience. Go to Tufts. You will not regret it... Baltimore is reallyyy sketchy. I know an ortho and a pedo that both graduated from tufts and the both LOVED it and say to go there.

hope that helps!

Isn't ever city somewhat sketchy? Cant you get instate after first year at Maryland?

Isn't ever city somewhat sketchy? Cant you get instate after first year at Maryland?

There is a lot that must be done in order to obtain in-state residency for Maryland - not saying it can't be done though... look into the requirements.

According to numerous threads about this, I have heard that it is one of the hardest schools to get residency in. I personallly don't know how true this is, but definitely find out the requirements... and I'll try to find the thread because someone had a list of all the requirements

If you could please find that thread I would appreciate it ha

well both are really good schools with pretty good reps.
i interviewed at maryland.. and i have a tufts interview this week.
so any more opinions??

well both are really good schools with pretty good reps.
i interviewed at maryland.. and i have a tufts interview this week.
so any more opinions??

Can you list some Pros and Cons about what you learned at Maryland?

There is a lot that must be done in order to obtain in-state residency for Maryland - not saying it can't be done though... look into the requirements.

According to numerous threads about this, I have heard that it is one of the hardest schools to get residency in. I personallly don't know how true this is, but definitely find out the requirements... and I'll try to find the thread because someone had a list of all the requirements
A little pain that can save several, several thousands of interest free money is always worth the hassle.

Can you list some Pros and Cons about what you learned at Maryland?

pros
-the school was really bright, clean, so advanced
-their sim lab is probably the best in the country (right?)
-new building.. totally devoted to their dental school
-all the students that were working in the sim lab were really
friendly and answered all our questions
-our dental tour guides were really professional
-the seafood restaurants around the city are awesome
-its a city campus... very close to john hopkins

cons
-SO HARD to get residency
-the city is sketchy(like what someone said earlier).. you can smoke in restaurants.. (something we cant do in NY)
-there might be more.. but i can't recall cus my experience at maryland was great!

hope this helps!

Cool thanks, how do you feel about taking the boards after the first year vs second year?

Cool thanks, how do you feel about taking the boards after the first year vs second year?

two of the students i asked did not seem to mind this. its better to get it over and done with sooner. plus they have the summer to study for it.. also they said most of the classes they need to take to prepare for the boards... they take it during first year.

two of the students i asked did not seem to mind this. its better to get it over and done with sooner. plus they have the summer to study for it.. also they said most of the classes they need to take to prepare for the boards... they take it during first year.

oh they have the summer to study...hmm that sounds good to me, ample time to do well. Let me know what you think of about Tufts !

"you can smoke in restaurants.. (something we cant do in NY)"

Baltimore is smoke-free!