Tufts or Pittsburgh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allodoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rankings aside, I would like to know which school to choose from between Tufts University and the University of Pittsburgh. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take pitt, others made some good arguments for pitt below (vs GT) and I think of pitt as a med school that has a really innovative cirriculum, a great hospital (#15 i think in the last usnews hospital ranks) and thriving research in all areas. great surgery depts. Talking to my advisor this week about pitt and she thinks that it is one of many schools that a lot of premeds at my ugrad school won't consider since its not on the east coast and a lot of life-long east coasters have this severe bias. Now tufts is a good school, but if you don't have need to be in boston I would say pitt all the way.

Pitt hands down. I loved Pitt when I interviewed. It was my first choice. I agree with the above poster about the east coast bias. I came to Pittsburgh expecting the city to be boring, ugly, but I left thinking it was a charming, growing city.
The med school is terrific and the students are awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies.

Scootad, are you currently at Pitt or will you be attending this fall? Just wondering if you chose it over other schools.

No, unfortunately I got rejected after I interviewed there. :-(

Definitely Pitt without a doubt! Pitt is my
first choice and I chose it over other higher
ranked schools. see my response btwn pitt vs
Gtown. good luck

spring

pitt's a great school. i've just finished my second year, and it's been a good experience (as much as the first two years of med school can be!) the profs are very accessible and interested in student learning, and students are supportive. it's a great place to be!