Tufts "personal reason for choosing TUSM/Boston"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenofCryptic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Tufts' optional secondary, do you guys think I should mention that my best friend is also going to school (not medical) in Boston...? It's a legit though not compelling reason for why I'd want to go there, and I wonder whether the ADCOMs will view this positively or negatively.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. It's a lukewarm reason, not really compelling. I mean, there's certainly no reason why you'd have to go to school in the same city as your best friend. I think some adcoms might have a "so who cares?" attitude while others might not care at all. I guess if you could make your reasons for wanting to be with your friend very compelling (like if you had a long history together and have never been apart or something), that might help. However, if you're just reaching for a reason, and you don't really care about being in the same city, I'd probably not write about it.

Yeah I honestly think most people will leave this blank.

Members don't see this ad :)
QueenofCryptic said:
For Tufts' optional secondary, do you guys think I should mention that my best friend is also going to school (not medical) in Boston...? It's a legit though not compelling reason for why I'd want to go there, and I wonder whether the ADCOMs will view this positively or negatively.
I would guess that this provision could cover people who wanted to indicate to the school that they were Tufts legacies (i.e. their parent, grandparent or sibling went there), or else if their spouse was attending Tufts med or elsewhere in Boston, or they had a sick family member located in Boston, or something of that import. I seriously doubt just having a friend there is worth mentioning, and might be viewed negatively when viewed in context of others' more compelling reasons.

I leaving it blank. I'm sure adcoms read so many 'fluff' responses that they no longer care about your friend.

anomic said:
I leaving it blank. I'm sure adcoms read so many 'fluff' responses that they no longer care about your friend.

I was going to write about how much my prof raved about Boston...but I've never been there and I don't know a damn thing about Tufts. And besides, it took far less work to tick 'No' than to struggle through writing a few sentences of completely baseless cr@p.

So ya, blank for me.

Last year, I left it blank and got accepted there. With all of the applications that adcoms need to read, I'm sure that they prefer brevity and a lack of BS.

What if its your girlfriend? Boston is my number 1 city because she goes to pharmacy school there.

Yeah, I would leave it blank if you don't have actual reasons. I go to Tufts so it was pretty easy for me to write stuff for that question but I 've heard from tufts admissions people that they would rather see it blank than read crap.

And if this person moves away, does your reason to go to Tufts go along with them? Reasons to go to the school should involve the school itself, not the people/things around it. That reasoning is too volatile.