Tufts personal reasons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bounty

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know how in the instructions for the "Why Tufts?" question, it says this:

Page 3: Why TUSM? (Top)

Is there any personal reason or circumstance...

For the overwhelming majority of our applicants, the correct answer to this question is simply "no." That answer is fine and perfectly acceptable - please do not feel compelled to turn to research or creative writing. Most applicants apply to many schools to optimize the likelihood of admission. We understand this. It's OK to click "no" and move on.

Is that answer really "perfectly acceptable"? I mean, I could definitely come up with stuff to say but I dont want them to think i am engaging in "creative writing."
What are you guys doing for this?
Bounty :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Bounty
You know how in the instructions for the "Why Tufts?" question, it says this:

Page 3: Why TUSM? (Top)

Is there any personal reason or circumstance...

For the overwhelming majority of our applicants, the correct answer to this question is simply "no." That answer is fine and perfectly acceptable - please do not feel compelled to turn to research or creative writing. Most applicants apply to many schools to optimize the likelihood of admission. We understand this. It's OK to click "no" and move on.

Is that answer really "perfectly acceptable"? I mean, I could definitely come up with stuff to say but I dont want them to think i am engaging in "creative writing."
What are you guys doing for this?
Bounty :)

i think that if you truly don't have any special reasons, there is little reason to worry about it.

alternatively, reviewers may be interested in hearing why you are applying, if you do have a particular reason. i'm applying mstp, so maybe my reasons are clear; i think the quality of research at tufts is good.

i also think you should only write something if you really have reasons. almost my entire family is in boston, so that's a personal reason that i think they'd want to know about. however, if you are going to say something about how the curriculum really matches your learning style or that you've always thought boston was a great city to learn in, you might as well skip it because they have heard those reasons a thousand times.

just my $.02

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
What if those are your reasons...you like the curriculum, you like the city, you have heard great things from people who go there, etc AND you have a significant other who lives there. I dont want to sound lame by saying that, but it is a factor in my decision. I mean, he isnt my fiance or husband but he is still a very important part in all of this.
I think that even though it may be a good reason to me, it's not something i should mention to them right?

hmmm, that's more complicated. maybe you could call him your fiance for the purpose of the app? I don't know how ethical that is though... maybe you could just say your "partner" is in the city?

Hi Bounty,
I am going through the exact same dilemma. I do feel Tufts is a great institution and since I am applying MSTP, their research potential factors into my decision to apply there...the biggest factor is that my boyfriend and I live here (in Boston) together and he will be staying here for quite awhile finishing his post-doc. In other words, he absolutely cannot leave Boston for a few years. However, I do not know if this is an acceptable "reason" for choosing to apply to Tufts. Seeing as how he is not my fiance or husband, this may be looked upon as a shallow reason to select a school, at least from the Adcoms point of view. Since it is not the ONLY reason I would go there, I will likely either select "no" or explain another reason. :)

Good luck!

Angeliqua,
I completely agree with you - since we are not engaged or married, they may see it as a shallow reason. I am pretty much in the same boat because my boyfriend will be in Boston doing his PhD for the next 4-5 years.
I guess I will just go ahead and check no. But I feel like such a slacker doing it! I just don't want to bore them with "tufts is a great school and boston is a great city etc etc"

put down something...it can only help

How about, "I've been dreaming of a school that will likely plunge me into six-figure debt. With their $40,000-a-year tuition, I believe TUSM can effect these financial aims most quickly."

Aw, heck, I'm applying too.
:p

bOUNTY I HAVE SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT TO TELL YOU...

can You please come online...

I need to talk to you about something...

oh and by the way, I have something to say about your tuft question also!!!

I am online now and then....talks to u later girl....

;)