Tufts v. Temple v. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aiicha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've checked out all the previous forums like this, but I'm looking for some up to date opinions. I'm accepted to Tufts & Temple and waiting on Jeff. I'm definitely doing MD/MPH and thinking about infectious disease specialty. SO Tufts seems like it has a better rep, but it is soo expensive. Do you all think its worth the $ (bw 10-20k more/yr)? If I want to work internationally, any thoughts on what would be the better choice? I know this is going to come down to me, but I'm just looking for some thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Temple out of state tuition was more than Tufts. At the end of the day a few thousand dollars will not break the bank (ID's make 250-300 a year?)

Jeff is a good school but I've heard from SDN'ers and even my Da that they try to fail their students.

Tufts MPH is new, but I think it will be strong. Boston is a fun place to do public health-- NEJM, Partners in Health, Harvard School of Public health (talks, etc.).

I'd say Tufts. Boston is one of those places where you can e-mail from any institution and ask to work with a Harvard med prof, and they will be like "sure." I've had a 70% hit rate with this, actually.

Jeff is a good school but I've heard from SDN'ers and even my Da that they try to fail their students.

Not sure where you got this info, but as a Jeff student I've never, ever heard of anything like this. I'm actually amazed at how forgiving they are. I have friends who have failed tests during a repeated year and they're still here. Please be more careful about spreading hearsay.

I don't know much about Tufts, so I won't make any recommendations for or against it. As far as Jeff vs. Temple, naturally I'm biased, but I'd say Jefferson. Better location for 1st and 2nd year as well as a little less traveling to 3rd year rotations (from taking to a few Temple students about where they have to rotate). Good reputation. Great ID attendings.

If you can't make up your mind, go to the least expensive school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeff, hands town.

You wont get pistol whipped, and you wont be paying off loans until you die.

Thanks for your input.

Whoa, wait a minute. They try to fail their students? What are you talking about? I need some clarification here.

Whoa, wait a minute. They try to fail their students? What are you talking about? I need some clarification here.

A long time ago, Jefferson had a reputation for being a somewhat tough, rigid school where there were no exceptions to the rules, and they believed in the idea that med school education was designed to be tough to weed out those who wouldn't survive residency.

This is EXTREMELY different from the way Jefferson is today. They definitely don't try to fail their students - between back exams, practice questions, Q&A sessions before the exams, and appealing to have certain questions discarded, they do all they can to help you pass without just giving you the answers.