Tufts vs. Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enginerd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, if you had to choose between Tufts and Boston University, which would you choose? The two schools seem almost identical to me in terms of tuition, rank, stats(one has higher GPA but the other has higher DATs), etc. Can somebody help me out?...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard very good things about tufts. Very good clinical program.

Tufts has a great reputation regardless of its numbers. Boston not so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts is definately better! Come on, just say it. T-U-F-T-S. It makes me hungry :D

I like BU more.

isn't this question supposed to be a no-brainer? tufts <- cheaper, excellent clinical and labs, not to mention much better reputation than BU

vaio said:
isn't this question supposed to be a no-brainer? tufts <- cheaper, excellent clinical and labs, not to mention much better reputation than BU

no brainer if you ask me....except Tufts hasn't gotten back to me yet. Sooo slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Thanks for the assistance. I guess I was the only who didn't know.....heh =\

Wow, everyone seems to have their choice straight... but for me, I'm not so sure. Yeah, word of mouth seems to be that Tufts is supposed to be better but I'm not convinced just yet. I really think the APEX program at BU is nice but I'm not well informed about Tufts so I don't have a strong opinion about it.

I used to hear a lot of BU bashing on here last year when I was applying. Now as a first year at BU, I can honestly say that it is a GREAT school! The faculty and admin are so supportive and helpful, the students are friendly, and the school really goes out of their way to make us feel at home! I'm so glad I came to BU, if I could go back, I'd definitely come to BU again! :)

For those of you seriously considering BU, don't let some ppl that don't go to the school change your mind.

TOdentist said:
I used to hear a lot of BU bashing on here last year when I was applying. Now as a first year at BU, I can honestly say that it is a GREAT school! The faculty and admin are so supportive and helpful, the students are friendly, and the school really goes out of their way to make us feel at home! I'm so glad I came to BU, if I could go back, I'd definitely come to BU again! :)

For those of you seriously considering BU, don't let some ppl that don't go to the school change your mind.

Or you could listen to someone who has only been at the school for a couple of months :rolleyes:

Anyways to the OP, do what I did when I was asking myself the same question....talk to people in the dental community within Boston. My family lived in Boston for 5 years, and when talking to people in the dental community, the consensus was unanimous.....Tufts is the WAYYYY better dental school in Boston. To be honest, I dont even think I heard one person tell me to choose Boston over Tufts.

But dont take my word on it....if you are serious about your question, try and talk to grads from both schools who are practicing now....try and go out to the dental community in Boston and ask them yourself....I will bet my right leg that you will get the same consensus....

its a no brainer....Tufts.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Or you could listen to someone who has only been at the school for a couple of months :rolleyes:

Anyways to the OP, do what I did when I was asking myself the same question....talk to people in the dental community within Boston. My family lived in Boston for 5 years, and when talking to people in the dental community, the consensus was unanimous.....Tufts is the WAYYYY better dental school in Boston. To be honest, I dont even think I heard one person tell me to choose Boston over Tufts.

But dont take my word on it....if you are serious about your question, try and talk to grads from both schools who are practicing now....try and go out to the dental community in Boston and ask them yourself....I will bet my right leg that you will get the same consensus....

its a no brainer....Tufts.

Tufts might be the best dental school in Boston, period. Even better than Harvard!

Audio said:
Tufts might be the best dental school in Boston, period. Even better than Harvard!
So you would choose Tufts if your only choices were tufts and harvard? I doubt that anybody in the history of the world has turned down harvard for tufts. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
SuperTrooper said:
So you would choose Tufts if your only choices were tufts and harvard? I doubt that anybody in the history of the world has turned down harvard for tufts. :laugh:

Well, if you want to be a good general dentist, then Tufts is much better. Also, Harvard is basically a 5 year program at least because you can't do crap after 4 years. So yeah, Tufts is a better "dental" school than Harvard but, Harvard will provide you with many more opportunities. I'm not sure what I would do. I'd probably go with Harvard cuz it's cheaper.

Tufts vs. BU shouldn't be a question. Tufts is hands down better clinically and didactically. Also, like a previous poster stated, EVERYONE in the entire New England area (Connecticut to Maine) knows Tufts to be THE school to go to up there. If you choose BU over Tufts, you are nuts.

Oh, Badvibes... Your lame comments again this year? I'm convinced that you either: A) are affiliated with tufts in some way and are trying to get people with higher stats than 3.5 to enroll there, B) got rejected from BU and have some sort of grudge, or C) are just totally lame.

But thanks, as always, for your expert opinion on BU. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to talk crap about tufts, because I don't know anything about it (just like badvibes). I didn't even know there was a dental school there before I came to boston.

If you get into a cheap state school, go there. There is no reason to spend 8 bazzilion dollars to get the same degree. But, if for some reason, you can't get into a state school (or a canadian school) then look carefully into each of the private schools you are applying to and choose the one that fits you best. There will never be a day that a patient will ask which dental school you went to. There is no "reputation" of dental schools amongst patients. Most patients think dentistry is an undergrad degree anyway. :) If you are accepted to BU and enroll, you will be trained to be a great dentist.

WildcatDMD said:
B) got rejected from BU and have some sort of grudge,

Is that even possible?

Dr.BadVibes said:
Is that even possible?

Well, based on the dental admissions statistics, BU has a 19 AA (which is equal to or greater than 35 dental schools, Temple included) and a 3.31 science gpa (which is equal to or greater than 14 dental schools, Temple included). ;)

Rezdawg said:
Well, based on the dental admissions statistics, BU has a 19 AA (which is equal to or greater than 35 dental schools, Temple included) and a 3.31 science gpa (which is equal to or greater than 14 dental schools, Temple included). ;)

to be honest reza, that definitely has to do with the Canadian students that goto BU....cause if a Canadian student has a 3.7, they still wont get into a Canadian school, and since BU is VERY Canadian-friendly, they usually end up at BU.

Statistics can be oh so misleading....

Dr.BadVibes said:
to be honest reza, that definitely has to do with the Canadian students that goto BU....cause if a Canadian student has a 3.7, they still wont get into a Canadian school, and since BU is VERY Canadian-friendly, they usually end up at BU.

Statistics can be oh so misleading....

There aren't enough Canadian students in our class to increase the average gpa significantly.

SuperTrooper said:

Theres a few in my class who turned harvard down to come here.

Barron's Guide to Dental Schools, 2003:

Boston:
Mean:
total GPA: 3.1
science: 3.1
Average:
DAT academic: 19
DAT-PAT: 18
112 students
Tufts:
Mean:
total GPA: 3.3
science: 3.3
Average:
DAT academic: 18
154 students

dat_student said:
Barron's Guide to Dental Schools, 2003:

Boston:
Mean:
total GPA: 3.1
science: 3.1
Average:
DAT academic: 19
112 students
Tufts:
Mean:
total GPA: 3.3
science: 3.3
Average:
DAT academic: 18
154 students

Or, you could use the most recent stats, from 2004 entering class....

Tufts
Mean:
total GPA: 3.32
science: 3.24
DAT AA: 18.65
DAT PAT: 17.19

Boston U
Mean:
total GPA: 3.22
science: 3.31
DAT AA: 19
DAT PAT: 17

Rezdawg said:
Or, you could use the most recent stats, from 2004 entering class....

Tufts
Mean:
total GPA: 3.32
science: 3.24
DAT AA: 18.65
DAT PAT: 17.19

Boston U
Mean:
total GPA: 3.22
science: 3.31
DAT AA: 19
DAT PAT: 17

OR.....you can walk around Boston, NH, RI, CT, ME and ask ANYONE ON THE STREET which the better dental school and they will tell you TUFTS. It's not a numbers thing, it's a known fact. Stop trying to stick up for your school. Tufts is just better. It's not the best dental school out there, but it's ABSOLUTELY better than BU. This thread may end now.

OMFSdoc said:
OR.....you can walk around Boston, NH, RI, CT, ME and ask ANYONE ON THE STREET which the better dental school and they will tell you TUFTS. It's not a numbers thing, it's a known fact. Stop trying to stick up for your school. Tufts is just better. It's not the best dental school out there, but it's ABSOLUTELY better than BU. This thread may end now.

I think, in California, BU is known to be better than Tufts. I don't think many Californians know that there is a school named Tufts. I personally like BU more than Tufts because BU has regional interviews in CA. No other school seems to have regional interviews for Californians. I am sure Tufts is a great school too. Anyhow, the numbers for the two schools are about the same. So the difference probably isn't huge.

OMFSdoc said:

Haha, chill out bro. That stick must be embedded deep within you. Where did I ever state BU was better than Tufts? If someone is going to throw out stats, then the stats should be as updated as possible. There is no need to submit stats from a 2003 book that has the statistics of the entering class of 2001.

You may not have a good opinion of BU, thats cool. I really dont care. But, until youve stepped foot into the doors, met the faculty, the students, seen the facilities, then you really dont have much room to talk. Basically, your opinion is worthless. Everything has been top notch thus far, and thats all I could ask for. Is it the best dental school or even the best dental school in Boston? I never have claimed that nor will I claim that, but Im getting my ejumacation and Im having a damn good time in the process.

Oh, and let me be cool by stealing a line from you...This thread may end now.

dat_student said:
I think, in California, BU is known to be better than Tufts. I don't think many Californians know that there is a school named Tufts.

I've been in CA my entire life. I know both these schools exist. Beyond that I know nothing more.

I'm from arizona, and like i said before, i didn't even know tufts had a dental school before i came to boston (maybe i'm retaahded). and i would also say that not too many people have heard of tufts university in arizona. i'm not worried about the name, i just want my degree and board certification. BU will give me the first and prepare me for the second. After that, the true learning begins. Practice management and CE are what make you a successful dentist.

Seriously grow up and stop badmouthing a school unless you go to the school and know first hand what is not good about it. I don't plan on walking around the streets in ANY town in the NE asking people what they think about f---ing dental schools.... furthermore, after my time here, I plan on moving back to sunny arizona where people don't care about anything from the NE anyway. ;)

I agree with my fellow BU'ers, we don't care about which school is better than the other...all we're saying is that applicants shouldn't listen to the pessimism of those who don't go to our school. BU exceeds my expectations by far! And I gotta admit along with getting a great education, we are having a great time! :)

P.S. you can listen to those of us who've been at the school for a few months, vs those who haven't been at all ;) ........now back to studying

Bickle said:
Theres a few in my class who turned harvard down to come here.
I didn't know tufts had so many dirty liers.

SuperTrooper said:
I didn't know tufts had so many dirty liers.

I would believe this if Tufts was a lot cheaper to attend than Harvard but it's not and I can't see many people turning down Harvard, even though I think Tufts is a better clinical school. If I only got into Tufts and Harvard, I would probably go to Harvard because of the tuition and it saddens me to say, partly because of the name :(

BUT...I would pick SUNY Buffalo over Harvard! :D

OMFSdoc said:

How come we didn't see this type of zealot-like fanaticism on the UOP vs. Temple thread? :laugh: