Tufts vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Den_Alice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply for next year and am eager to know what is the difference between Tufts and BU. I heard Tufts is better on clinical training, but it is not a seperate program (meaning you need to share and compete with DMD students), lengthy (26 months vs 22 months at BU), more expensive (~130000 vs ~110000 at BU) and require Part II score. Does anybody have experience studied in/interviewed by both Tufts and BU? Is it really worth to put in more time/money/effort to be trained by Tufts instead of BU? Generally speaking, do graduates of Tufts earn higher salaries than those of BU?

Thanks and your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I am currently a Tufts junior and to be honest still don't have an answer. There is a guy in my class whose wife is enroled in BU - by graduation they will be as close to the answer as anyone can be.
So, it seems that the only thing that Tufts can provide you more is clinical experience - clinic here is 6 months longer and with the speed treatment is developed in school, you can start and complete more complicated cases (say implants, perio/endo/c+b)
On the other hand the class is pretty small (15 international vs 170 regular DMD) so administration is often overlooking us and this could some times be frustrating.
So it is a tough decission. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. So how do you think about TUFTS overall? Do you like the clinical training there and strongly recommend it? As far as I know, most TUFTS graduates like TUFTS and most BU graduates do not like BU at all.

ivanBG said:
Good question. I am currently a Tufts junior and to be honest still don't have an answer. There is a guy in my class whose wife is enroled in BU - by graduation they will be as close to the answer as anyone can be.
So, it seems that the only thing that Tufts can provide you more is clinical experience - clinic here is 6 months longer and with the speed treatment is developed in school, you can start and complete more complicated cases (say implants, perio/endo/c+b)
On the other hand the class is pretty small (15 international vs 170 regular DMD) so administration is often overlooking us and this could some times be frustrating.
So it is a tough decission. Good luck.