Tufts vs. Case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KYDent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Luckily, I was accepted at Tufts University last month. Thinking it would be my only acceptance and wasn't sure what would happen next year if I reapplied, I accepted the offer. I am very excited about moving to Boston and living there for a period of time. I am originally from Cleveland and just recently interviewed at Case Western earlier this month.

Today I received an initial offer of acceptance. With both schools being close in tuition cost, but Boston's cost of living being exceptionally higher, what would you guys do? Also, my parents seem to think I want to live at home and commute if I switch to Case Western, but I'm not entirely sure I would want to do that, after living on my own for undergrad. I'd like to hear your guys thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were to go to Case, would your parents let you just live on your own closer to campus? The cost of living in Boston is incredibly much higher than Cleveland, so you might still be saving money.

Reactions: 1 user
If you were to go to Case, would your parents let you just live on your own closer to campus? The cost of living in Boston is incredibly much higher than Cleveland, so you might still be saving money.
Well its entirely up to me what I do, but they most likely wouldn't help pay rent if I lived on my own

Say average rent is 700 bucks a month for 4 years, after interest that’s about 35k. That’s a lot of potential money to save.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to stay in Cleveland? I remember a few years back they offered some guy to stay in Cleveland for 120 million over 5 years and he still left.

Reactions: 11 users
I honestly would do Cleveland. Currently living in Boston and its painful how much the rent is here, so much so that I cant justify staying here for school. One of my buds is at Case Med loves it and he always talks about how the cost of living is so much lower in Ohio than it is in Boston. Some food for thought but your wallet will thank you.

I honestly would do Cleveland. Currently living in Boston and its painful how much the rent is here, so much so that I cant justify staying here for school. One of my buds is at Case Med loves it and he always talks about how the cost of living is so much lower in Ohio than it is in Boston. Some food for thought but your wallet will thank you.
Thanks! I currently work in a dental office as an assistant and the doctor here graduated from Tufts but he also keeps telling me to really think about how much money I could potentially save by going to Case. I guess its the smarter choice, I just really like the city of Boston and would eventually like to leave Ohio. Should probably put that on hold if loans are gonna be covering my COA

Thanks! I currently work in a dental office as an assistant and the doctor here graduated from Tufts but he also keeps telling me to really think about how much money I could potentially save by going to Case. I guess its the smarter choice, I just really like the city of Boston and would eventually like to leave Ohio. Should probably put that on hold if loans are gonna be covering my COA

Go with Case.

You won't have to spend your entire monthly living budget on rent or be forced to live with a roommate or commute via the T from a distance away (likely at Tufts).

Boston is a great city. I love it. Just see my avatar pic. But it's rough with its cost of living, especially for grad students unless you're willing to room with others (I wasn't).

Go with Case.

You won't have to spend your entire monthly living budget on rent or be forced to live with a roommate or commute via the T from a distance away (likely at Tufts).

Boston is a great city. I love it. Just see my avatar pic. But it's rough with its cost of living, especially for grad students unless you're willing to room with others (I wasn't).
I just see trash on your avatar.

If it were me, I would go with case just because it would be so much less of an economical burden once I graduate. You have to remember that your loans ecru interest from the moment you take them out unlike undergrad. That adds up quickly when you factor in rent, transportation, food (which are all more expensive here), and the school itself. As beautiful and fun as Boston is, its a lot better when you can actually afford $2000 in rent with a job vs paying that rent out of loans. I have just done both so I personally prefer the former. If you want to talk more about Boston living I would be more than happy to chat offline.