Tufts vs Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I go?

• Tufts

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Rochester

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters

sunnyisland

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Pretty torn between these two choices! I had initial interest in primary care and both schools are good for that. I would like the option of matching into more competitive specialities though. Both schools have similar 2 years preclinical and a longitudinal primary care clerkship/apprenticeship in the 2nd year. I will most likely not get any aid. Overall comfort during the four years matters to me! Both schools are equally far from home (from a mountain state) and no ties to either city. Came from a less prestigious undergrad so I'm grateful to get admission into both these schools.

Tufts
Pros

-Public Health and Social Justice Pathway
-4 year MD/MPH
-Diverse Pt Population; Urban underserved environment
-In a big city; good social life; better food options (although I might get tired of a big city eventually as I get more busy)

Cons
-Boston housing options seem depressing; low comfort levels
-High COA (at least 12K more expensive/year)
-Not as well ranked compared to Rochester
-Not accessible for family to visit since it's expensive to stay nearby.

Rochester

Pros

-Small Class Size; Friendly community (the med students seem very laidback and collaborative)
-Good Funding for Research
-Better reputation and ranking
-Housing options seem great; cheap and spacious; would make me very comfortable (I'd probably even be able to adopt a cat)
-Beautiful parks/outdoors/lakes
-Low COA
-Family will be able to visit more often due to cheaper living.
-Health Policy Pathway
-Match list is super impressive, many students match into T20s

Cons
-Not as diverse pt population
-Small city; FOMO feeling
-not very accessible (there's no nonstop flight from home)
-longer MD/MPH program (5 years)

Conclusion: Is the ranking/reputation of these schools very different from each other? Also how does ranking/reputation matter in this case? Thoughts please.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have more pros for Rochester, I’m no expert but I do believe Rochester is more prestigious than Tufts. You said they match very well, thats also probably good for you to have that flexibility.

Also you mentioned no direct flights to Rochester, have you looked at any of the nearby (not super nearby but may shorten travel time as opposed to than having a connecting flight) airports? Try checking flights from Buffalo or Syracuse.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you have more pros for Rochester, I’m no expert but I do believe Rochester is more prestigious than Tufts. You said they match very well, thats also probably good for you to have that flexibility.

Also you mentioned no direct flights to Rochester, have you looked at any of the nearby (not super nearby but may shorten travel time as opposed to than having a connecting flight) airports? Try checking flights from Buffalo or Syracuse.
Yes!! Buffalo and Syracuse have direct flights. That was very helpful to know.