Tufts vs Rush - A Very Last Minute Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi,
Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I was accepted to both Tufts and Rush and thanks to Covid only just got my financial aid packages which made me re-think which schools. A quick layout of my biggest selling points.

Tufts​
Rush​
Pro:
- Higher rankings
- Very good matchlist
- More varied rotation locations and options
- Better reputation?
- Awesome facilities and more in person classes
- Every person I talk to says the administration will do anything to help you
- More research opportunities?
- Students seemed happier​
Pro:
- I really liked the faculty I met and the general atmosphere of the administration
- County Cook Hospital (a safety net public hospital)
- Closer to family
- $10,000 cheaper each year
- Small scholarship/institutional loan (not much of anything in comparison to the cost of tuition but still something)

Con:
- $10,000 more each year (upwards of $40,000 more debt on graduation
- More expensive housing and living costs
- Only Federal financial aid​
Con:
- Not ranked as high
- Worse reputation????
- Not as many locations/settings to rotate through
- Flipped classroom a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen PD - 40 for Tufts and PD - 65 for Rush as well as a general opinion that Tufts has a higher reputation. (I don't vale reputation that much but it is something to consider when thinking about match day results).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen PD - 40 for Tufts and PD - 65 for Rush as well as a general opinion that Tufts has a higher reputation. (I don't vale reputation that much but it is something to consider when thinking about match day results).
Did you compare match results? Also, do you have any geographic preference for residency?

Both are great programs. Looking at their Match Lists Tufts seems to match more people into more competitive residencies from what I am seeing. Tufts: 3 Derm, 3 Neurosurg, 4 Ophtho, 8 Ortho, and 4 ENT vs Rush's 1 Derm, 2 Neurosurg, 2 Ophtho, 3 Ortho (Surprising as Rush has a very reputable Ortho department), but 6 ENT. These are generally the most competitive specialties along with Plastics which neither matched anyone into.

I wouldn't Rush into this Tufts decision.

But actually, they are similar enough that you should pick based off geography of where you want to practice, as Rush probably has a higher reputation in the Midwest and Tufts in the Northeast. From your pros and cons it seems like based on personal reasons (less money, closer to family) you would prefer Rush.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Both are great programs. Looking at their Match Lists Tufts seems to match more people into more competitive residencies from what I am seeing. Tufts: 3 Derm, 3 Neurosurg, 4 Ophtho, 8 Ortho, and 4 ENT vs Rush's 1 Derm, 2 Neurosurg, 2 Ophtho, 3 Ortho (Surprising as Rush has a very reputable Ortho department), but 6 ENT. These are generally the most competitive specialties along with Plastics which neither matched anyone into.
I am not especially interested in being close to family or in the midwest post-school but am happy to be in Chicago during medical school. However, I am from the midwest and have interest in moving somewhere new - but that interest isn't worth the difference in tuition. I have been trying to find reasons/justifications why Tufts is worth $10,000 more each year.

I am not especially interested in being close to family or in the midwest post-school but am happy to be in Chicago during medical school. However, I am from the midwest and have interest in moving somewhere new - but that interest isn't worth the difference in tuition. I have been trying to find reasons/justifications why Tufts is worth $10,000 more each year.
In this case I would look at how the schools do in The Match with your desired specialty (if you know) or specialties of interest, where you want to live for 4 years, and where you think you will excel. Your pros and cons list seems to favor Tufts, but 40K in the hole after med school is worth noting also. That being said, if you can perform better at Tufts and that enables you to work in a more desirable area or competitive specialty, that 40K seems a lot more worth it.

I think you could justify an extra 40k if you are going to have a much increased quality of life, even keeping in mind that will increase to more with interest. It is a significant amount of money - but 4 years is also a significant amount of time. As an attending, you will have to live on the budget of a resident longer to pay off your debt.

Does anyone have personal or secondhand experiences or just general opinions? Anything helps. I am used to living well under my means. Paying undergrad was/is a trial. Looking at medical school bills is like staring down a gun barrel that everyone tells you isn't going to kill you.

I have posted something similar elsewhere but I was accepted to Rush and a couple other programs and have been heavy dissuaded from attending Rush by coworkers. This is partly due to other good offers. Also look at the Rush specific thread, a group of students has posted very negative things about their time at Rush and especially the delay and obtaining of financial aid.

Last edited:
I know it's been said before, but + / - 10k will seem a bit trivial some day when you are working. I wouldn't base my decision on that amount alone. However, the true COA may be more than you're accounting for.

I know it's been said before, but + / - 10k will seem a bit trivial some day when you are working. I wouldn't base my decision on that amount alone. However, the true COA may be more than you're accounting for.
I calculated it out--assuming that 10K is direct plus loans, at the end of three years of residency the total loan value will be $56K. It's basically like paying for an additional year of school. Paying $5K a month(~1/2 to 1/3 of the starting salary after tax for most residencies that take 3 years), that's another 11 months of student loans. It may or may not be worth it in this case, that's up to each individual to decide, but even relatively minor differences in tuition can be substantial when it comes time to pay off loans. It could certainly be worth it, but it's important to make sure you're getting something of value when you choose a more expensive school.